PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Songs

ratso
04-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Okay...once and for all so I know...Can you do the file-sharing thing legally or not? I think there is Kazaa and I-Mesh etc. My son wants to download songs and I say no way. He says everybody does it but I hear of people getting busted etc. Is there a legal way or a pay site or something to go to? I agree most CD's areCRAP nowdays and you get screwed paying out money to get one or two good songs. Any help here???
Thanks...

Waldo
04-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Downloading songs from Kazaa and such is illegal.
Pay sites are legal. I think the going rate is about $.99/song. Bought the same as a CD.

Budget Baller
04-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Ratso
You can go to Apple.com and they have the Itunes Music Store that you can download from at $.99 a song. You can also go to Walmart.com and they charge $.88 a song. I did not have a good experience with Kaaza. Too many pop ups and spam e-mail sent after downloading their software, not to mention the issues that go along with the download process.

RVRKID
04-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I use Bear Share and if you turn off the sharing option from what i understand they won't come after you. They are only targeting those that share their files.

Flying Tiger
04-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Use Limewire, it's Da Kine and it's either free or you can pay.

ratso
04-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies...I'm just trying to get him hooked up "legally." If anyone else has any input I'd appreciate it...
This will give him something to go on...:D

Scream
04-21-2004, 04:37 PM
If you want it to be legal and probably with out the spectre of virus tag alongs, try the new Napster. They now charge for downloads and you can buy a pre paid download card at most Rite Aid's or other such place. I thought that was a cool way to deal with the money issue, since the majority of downloaders are between 11 and 25, except of course for my Sister in Law who is probably going to do 10 to 20 for downloading a record amount of music from Kazaa and she's Fiddy

Ultra5150
04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Ratso,
I used to work in the music industry. You have gotten good advice so far. If you download from walmart or I tunes and pay per song you download, you are fine and within the law. Both these sights are probably the best legal sites out there, you will also get good quality. Kazaa, morpheus and other download sites where you pay to download their software and then download as much as you want for free after that are illegal. It is hard to compete with free, but at least you are teaching your son to do things right. The music industry has all but given up on this generation of kids, they think they have the right to free music. I remember working my tail off at 12 years old to buy my first album (Cheap Trick at Buddokahn), I played that record til it wore out. I commend you for researching this and caring about what your son does on the computer. I wish there were more parents like you out there.
For those of you who think I am full of shit and think that downloading is a victimless crime, the company I just left laid off 1000 employees a month ago and another let go of 1100 two weeks ago.
For those of you who love to download, I do not want to get in a pissing match, that has been done here before. Ratso asked for info and I am giving my opinion. You are more than welcome to yours.

twistedpair
04-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Is there anyplace where you can share files with your honest-to God friends? My buds have some killer collections, old stuff. I see nothing wrong with lending a disc to your friend.

mickeyfinn
04-21-2004, 07:41 PM
If your son is interested in free music try a good newsreader such as xnews and check the newsgroups. A ton of bands are ok with trading of live recordings. Go here for a list of bands known to be okay with it. This site also is putting together a file sharing program to allow only these legal bands to be traded.click here (http://www.furthurnet.org/bandlist/)

Boozer
04-21-2004, 07:50 PM
You can also do the legl illegal thing and beat the system.
Download all you want and be selfish. Dont share with other users. Use kaza lite because the traditional version is so full of spyware it is just ridiculous.
Personally I quit downloading music about a year ago. Half the time the stuff I downloaded was crap and the other half of the time it had viruses in it. I figure it cost me more to download it due to wasted time then it cost me to just go buy the cd from the store.
12 bucks to buy a cd or 2 hours to download it?
How much is your time worth to you?

RiverPirate
04-21-2004, 09:59 PM
If your son is interested in free music try a good newsreader such as xnews and check the newsgroups. A ton of bands are ok with trading of live recordings. Go here for a list of bands known to be okay with it. This site also is putting together a file sharing program to allow only these legal bands to be traded.click here
Thaks MF, that is a cool site.

Cheap Thrills
04-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by twistedpair
Is there anyplace where you can share files with your honest-to God friends? My buds have some killer collections, old stuff. I see nothing wrong with lending a disc to your friend.
you and your friends should set up FTP servers on your machines and start a ring of your own ! works for me and several of my friends (over 700gigs in our ring music movies apps)
one of the easiest to configure server programs I have found is
"Bulletproof FTP"
just my .02
C.T.:wink: