PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a call from Bergeron...

Jordy
04-21-2004, 01:31 PM
And basically everything that could be smoked in that C-500 box was. They're going to run though and replace everything that's bad, pretty much everything but the case, and throw some 33* gears in it and we'll give that a shot. Only $1400.00 or so later. Gotta love boats. :D

Her454
04-21-2004, 01:39 PM
I'm still shocked at the fact you titled a thread (much less admitted it publicly) that your jet was faster than your V-Drive ( in the Shark Forum no less) :):)
:D

mbrown2
04-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Wow sucks, but it can always be worse....still sounds like the engine is tits...
Through a blade on one prop 4 weeks ago, and a good price to replace is $1250 for one racing prop ($1500 retail)......but in the mean time during Mercury's warranty review, I needed another couple props....well $1800 for two used (2hrs use) 4 blade 28" cleavers...
Gotta love boats...
PS: some of those props running this week in the poker run will be in the 7K-10K range...those guys really love boats.

Jordy
04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Her454
I'm still shocked at the fact you titled a thread (much less admitted it publicly) that your jet was faster than your V-Drive ( in the Shark Forum no less) :):)
:D
I figured the die hard v-drive guys would have all kinds of suggestions to rectify that little problem. ;) :D

Fiat48
04-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I figured the die hard v-drive guys would have all kinds of suggestions to rectify that little problem. ;) :D
Yeah..and they came out on guickly to help you. Something tells me that posted on the Jet thread....well,,,you know.
How did the box get smoked???? No gear oil? Never heard of such a thing! And what gears were in it?

INEEDAV
04-21-2004, 01:58 PM
What all was shot? 1400 seems steep.

Her454
04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Yeah..and they came out on guickly to help you. Something tells me that posted on the Jet thread....well,,,you know.
...................Unless the Knutt Family is in tha house.:D

schiada96
04-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by INEEDAV
That's a c-500 for ya
Jordy gear that thing up while it's apart those are expensive to rwk.

Jordy
04-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by INEEDAV
Pretty much everything in the box, all the bearings and shafts. I guess whoever put it back together last put some spacers in the wrong place or something to that effect. At the lake on Sunday there was a bunch of gear oil in the bilge, so I'm guessing a seal on the output shaft let go. Beyond that it's anyone's guess as to what all happened. I do know that when I got the case out, the oil level check plug was frozen (which tells me it wasn't checked often).
The gears that were in it were 38* and apparently got toasted too. Brian said they have a set of used 12* 33's so that will save me a couple hundy there. Other than that, I'll probably run down there tomorrow if I get a free minute and take a look, maybe even some pictures.
Anyone want to buy a 21' River Cruiser? Get it now as the price keeps going up... :( :D

Jordy
04-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
[B so for now the trailer dealo is on hold, sorry, but will keep you and sk48 in my mind when $ allow for new triple. jordan will see ya on the water this weekend ? scott. [/B]
That's alright, the trailer money is kinda going for the essentials to put the boat in motion. Whenever you're ready, I'll be here, still looking for a trailer I'm sure.
As far as the lake this weekend, I'm going to havasu to watch the poker run, the BBSP and just generally cause hate, anger and discontent, and maybe drink a few frosty adult beverages. We'll do the lake thing again soon, possibly the following weekend. :D

78Eliminator
04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
So are you still of the opinion, that even with the gear problems, you should have been close to 90? Remember that friction robs HP. I still call bullshit on everyone that is saying there is something up with your motor. Fix this, run it and let us know.

Jordy
04-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I know that if everything was bunk in there that it would certainly increase the rolling resistance. Couple that with any of the forces from the prop, be it torsional or loading and unloading forward and backward and I do think it would eat lots of power and rpms. We'll see what she does when it's all back together.

schiada96
04-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
:frown: hey can i join your money spending, my dad has confirmed that the cav plate actuator in my 21 is offically spent after 22years of up/down, $ 425 for a new one, yet to be aquired, on the way home got a cut in one of my 20" tires, replacement, all new bunk pads and side pads $200, they look nice for home done, so not to far behind you, phil will take care of you, so for now the trailer dealo is on hold, sorry, but will keep you and sk48 in my mind when $ allow for new triple. jordan will see ya on the water this weekend ? scott.
They are not that much you can get one for 250 I think in the Grainger cat

Fiat48
04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
If you just bought this boat and this was first time out deal (I am assuming), then don't you think you ought to get hold of the seller and let him know about the problem?

Her454
04-21-2004, 06:26 PM
I think its the driver. Prop insecurity. :)

Jordy
04-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
If you just bought this boat and this was first time out deal (I am assuming), then don't you think you ought to get hold of the seller and let him know about the problem?
This was the 4th time out. I thought about calling him, but I'm sure I would just get the, "Hey it's your problem now" line and that would just tend to piss me off. If I run into him, it will come up. Even with the minor problems I've had, I still firmly believe that I'm money ahead in the deal. At least I keep telling myself that and it makes me feel better and ignore some of my internal homicidal voices and what they're telling me to do. :D

78Eliminator
04-22-2004, 05:46 AM
You are never ahead when you own a boat. Who are you kidding? That is, unless someone gave you the damn thing.....

schiada96
04-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
You are never ahead when you own a boat. Who are you kidding? That is, unless someone gave you the damn thing.....
I think I'm ahead on mine!!

MAXIMUS
04-22-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by schiada96
That's a V-drive for ya
Jordy sell that damn thing and buy a real boat (jet) as those are expensive to rwk.
For once we agree...:D

schiada96
04-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
For once we agree...:D
How did you get that quote I didn't say that. But C-500's are expensive to rwk.

Jordy
04-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by schiada96
How did you get that quote I didn't say that. But C-500's are expensive to rwk.
I had to look for it too, but then realized he just changed your previous response in the quote brackets.
Hey Maximus, I do have a jet too, and it's currently faster than my v-drive. :confused: :( :D

78Eliminator
04-22-2004, 07:21 AM
I had to look for it too, but then realized he just changed your previous response in the quote brackets.
Hey Maximus, I do have a jet too, and it's currently faster than my v-drive. :confused: :( :D
JP, you know that's not true. I mean, maybe if you put them both on the river, one would float a little faster, but which one is still up for debate :D

Jordy
04-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Why ya gotta kick a man when he's down focker???? :D :p

78Eliminator
04-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Why ya gotta kick a man when he's down focker???? :D :p
Because I know you would. ;) :D

Jordy
04-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Because I know you would. ;) :D
Only to people I like. ;)

DOHARA
04-22-2004, 08:24 AM
JP, your schiada is pretty damn nice. Regardless if you have run into a few snags. As long as the hull and motor are in good shape I wouldn't worry about the small stuff. I am looking for a schiada 21 or howard 21 in the near future, just need to get rid of the jet first.
Dano

MAXIMUS
04-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Why I... no I... I didn't do that??? :eek: Come on guys I'm all about equal rights... V-drives are just gettin a bad rap here! They can run too... With tons of hp!:D

obnoxious001
04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Think twice, and then one more time before you go ahead with those 33 gears. I would not go lower than the 38's myself, especially if you want to maintain the top speed. If anything, I would lean towards a taller gear like low 40's. Check with Superdave013 and see what gears he might have.

Jordy
04-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by obnoxious001
Think twice, and then one more time before you go ahead with those 33 gears. I would not go lower than the 38's myself, especially if you want to maintain the top speed. If anything, I would lean towards a taller gear like low 40's. Check with Superdave013 and see what gears he might have.
I wrote down what I was getting speed and rpm wise with each prop and gave it to them and they were along the lines of thought that the 38's were too tall. I just wonder how much of the rpm loss was due to a box that was all out of whack.

Jordy
04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
I just got off the phone with Brian and grilled him on the 33's. He said Phil would actually like to see lower than that in there. One of the boats they do quite a bit of work on is a 21' Vector with twin turbos, pretty much the same setup, running less boost and he's haulin' the mail running 32* gears.
I figure we'll take it out and run it and see what it does, worse case get everything dialed in like it should be and if I have to swap gears again, so be it. It's only money right? ;) :D

schiada96
04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
I would not go any lower than 39's or there about.

superdave013
04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
I ran 37's in mine with the 461" banks single carb turbo deal.
I don't know the exact speed but it was pretty fast. It pulled the 37's to 5,500 rpm. Prop was an 11 3/8x16 two blade.
With the 572" turbo I'm going to start with 48's. We'll have to see where I end up. Should be between 42 and 50 I'm thinkin.

superdave013
04-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Bummer you have a C-500. Ya just can't swap ratios in the parking lot and used gears cost $$$$$.

MAXIMUS
04-22-2004, 11:39 AM
I could be off a little but wouldn't a turbo set up require a different gear than a blown deal? Especially when cubic inches are also involved?

Hallett
04-22-2004, 12:16 PM
HEY JORDAN I THINK OBNOXIOUS IS RIGHT I WOULD GO WITH
LOW 40'S . I HAVE 38'S AND THINK I WILL GO WITH THE 40'S.
KEEP US POSTED.
:cool:

Rexone
04-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Took the v-drive out with the humbler yesterday. Ran around with the two blade prop on it that came with it. Couldn't break 70. Running in third in the tranny turning 5000 rpms 68.7 was the best she would do. The prop was kinda in rough shape so I got home and put my new Richard Hammond (thanks again Richard :D ) model 3 blade on and went back to the lake today.
Well, putting around the dock area, I did notice a difference, coming out of the hole it jumped up and hauled ass. That is right up to around 60 mph. Yep, with the new prop on there she'll run right around 60 and only spin about 4200 rpms.
Jordy my guess is that the 38's are too high based on the above and based on what my boat with 1100+ hp experiences with 42's or 48's. You probably have 300 hp less give or take so I don't see it in the cards running 40+ gears and getting any rpm. I actually think you're on the right track in this case running 33's. My brother has a boat similar to yours except turbo, and he runs 29's in a c-500 and it goes low 90's without over rpm'ing.

obnoxious001
04-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Mike
Remember that his observations were before he figured out the V drive was self destructing. If it ran well in the magazine test, I don't see dropping the gear ratio that much. Seems like if he was a bit tall in the gear, he could run a prop smaller than a 12", so he could get his cut down. Hard to grow that 12" prop bigger and not lift the back of the boat out of the water. My Schiada originally had that blower engine running 8 lbs boost or less, so perhaps similar horsepower, when I first started ski racing with it.
Hard to know if he didnt have a good baseline with the Vdrive not dragging the horsepower down.

Rexone
04-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Well it sounds like the 33's are goin in anyway so we should know shortly I'd imagine just how they do. Just depends on how much power's there to pull the gear. And yes I agree prop has alot to do with it too on how much gear will work. I'm just thinkin that he doesn't have enough power to go 40+ gear. I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time lol.

Little Wood Boat
04-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Finally, someone saying that you should not just "go big" on the gears. I tell ya...get a prop that works with the boat when the motor is sound and doing what it's supposed to be doing... start doing the "math" , figure the rpms and speed you want to run, the gears will fall into place. when you got lots of HP you can do almost anything you want. I know a boat that had 11's and it ran right at 90mph...just had to spin the motor at 6800...great, but how long can any motor take that.. I think if your boat had a real 750-800hp you probably find that 25's would be damn near perfect for everything. Just another opinion that took longer to type than what its worth.LWB:confused:

flat broke
04-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Stupid Jet boater question here...
Since its going to cost bank to rework the C500, an I know those cost bank to swap gears caused they're pressed on or something, why not sway to a split case deal where gears are cheap, swaps are easy, and Superdave will have the fix ya need if you are wrong on the ratio this time around.
Not doggin ya, or puttin down, just wondering if this might be one of those times where a little extra $$ now would relieve many headaches later?
Is there some major diffence between the two cases that would incur a bunch more work to do the swap?
Chris

Rexone
04-23-2004, 01:07 PM
The differences in mounting can be substantial. Hopefully his C500 is solid mounted but even so it would likely be different setup at the stringers than the split case unit. And since Andy raised prices split case gears aren't all that cheap albiet cheaper than C500 gears. And the boxes are big bucks to start with too. So that would be a major coin outlay to switch over. Once he's dialed in with the correct ratio he won't be changing gears much I don't imagine. Even with a couple gear changes I'd imagine the $ outlay wont' be that much if you figure offing the gears not needed. The C500 is plenty strong for the power he's running. If he had mega power I'd recommend a split case with HD gears but that's not necessary here IMO. That's my unsolicited .025.
:)

Jordy
04-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah, what he said. :D

126driver
04-23-2004, 03:30 PM
I don't believe you really have a v-drive Jordy. I'm going to require first-hand proof, at the lake, preferably with a few cold barley-pops. You buy, of course. ;) :p

Jordy
04-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 126driver
I don't believe you really have a v-drive Jordy. I'm going to require first-hand proof, at the lake, preferably with a few cold barley-pops. You buy, of course. ;) :p '
Not a problem. Just bring along your flattie so we can have a bbq. :D :D :D
Maybe we can get ahold of Jim Anderson and he can bring the taco wagon. You know, there is nothing I like better than a fresh taco grilled over an open exhaust running race gas. :D

126driver
04-25-2004, 04:10 PM
BBQ. Very funny motherfocker. ;)
Billy er, Jim Anderson can't make it. He's busy with the finishing touches on my helmet. You didn't know he was also a famous painter, did you? :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I just got off the phone with Brian and grilled him on the 33's. He said Phil would actually like to see lower than that in there. One of the boats they do quite a bit of work on is a 21' Vector with twin turbos, pretty much the same setup, running less boost and he's haulin' the mail running 32* gears.
Yup, You hit it right on the spot. That is one mean ass v-drive and it looks bitchin'.That boat hauls ass! I was talking to her(roberta) and she told me she was at 95 mph and she was looking for 100 before she was dead. That lady is in her 60's driving that boat with that kind of speed. the funniest thing about that deal is that they ski behind that thing:eek: :eek: I thought I had big balls but I guess I was wrong;)