PDA

View Full Version : New Boat

565edge
04-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Heres a sneak peak of the new boat.22 datona.What do you guys think of me putting a jet in it.Papp said he always wanted to do one.We would have to lower the center pod as this boat is made for a outdrive.Any thoughts.Loan got approved and i am picking it up next weekend.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1131P1010049-med.JPG
By the way my boat is still for sale.

HammerDown
04-21-2004, 06:51 PM
I've wanted a 22' Daytona Jet from Jump Street. I even called Eliminator way back when I first became interested in Daytona Jets. They pretty much laughed me off the phone (rude ****'*).
My opinion, whats not to like...more room in the Boat, more freebord= bigger is better!
I hope ya do it.

565edge
04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
I am thinking about it.It would be different.If i sold my boat less motor and pump im almost their.Id put my pump in it and my motor.Motor is going blown-Bought a 14-71 today.I would be in this boat so much cheaper if i did it.Im going to spend around $13000 to get a outdrive,gimble and all the small stuff.Heres another pic.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1131P1010047-med.JPG

572Daytona
04-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Yep, I called Elim wanting a 22' jet too and no deal. I really wanted the freeboard too. With enough HP I would think it would perform well. Go for it.

565edge
04-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Wonder if there is room for a dual pump set-up?

cruser
04-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Probably not enough room in the pod to put 2 drives side by side. I think the intake would fit but not the bowls. Especially since they have a little space between them.
When I was shopping for a new eliminator, I talked to several people about the 22. Like you said, the pod is too high. I think they are also a bit afraid that a jet wouldn't run as much speed as an i/o. But, it sure would be nice to save the $10K difference in parts costs.
cruzer

Ken F
04-21-2004, 08:26 PM
565, that's sure one pretty boat!
Lots of new ones popping up this spring eh?
I'm thinkin MONSTER engine, and a double A Agressor. You are going to need to move some serious water backwards to move a big boat forward!
Ken f

HammerDown
04-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Any idea what the cost would be to modify the bottom for a pump?
I would install the biggest pump in there I could find. American Turbine makes a big one, don't they?

HavasuDreamin'
04-22-2004, 06:06 AM
I would be cautious about putting a pump in that boat. If you do and it ends up not running very well, then where are you? :(
I think it will need more than just center pod work, because it was designed for O/B or stern drive power, hence the notched sponsons and center pod. Also, the boat has steps in it and if you go changing the center pod and the specific position of where the boat rides at speed, those steps could become a problem, or non-functional at a minimum. I believe the entire bottom would need to be redone.
Good Luck.

RandyH
04-22-2004, 06:21 AM
A friend of mine has one just like that for sale. 502/415 HP.
He says that with the blawkhawk drive, that it can sometimes get a little scary. Feels like she will blow over but never has.
Here is his link if you care to look. Its for sale also.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/4/66232024.htm
Good Luck,
RandyH

MAXIMUS
04-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Edge I believe you would be crazy to stick a jet in that boat. I have a 25' Daytona with a stock hp 500 & a bravo 1. It is one of the nicest boats I have ever ridden in. The performance & fuel economy is worth its weight in gold. That 22 is the perfect boat with a good motor & outdrive! Trust me on this don't do the jet... If you need an outdrive or parts contact Brian at B&D. This is his bag & he can hook you up with a good used unit cheap! P.M. me if you need info...:)

Squirtcha?
04-22-2004, 06:56 AM
It does kinda make ya wonder why Elminator is so adament against putting a jetdrive in one. Maybe they already know something?
Very nice looking boat by the way.
Randy, how did you pal like the Blackhawk? I had a buddy that bought a Warlock tunnel w/Blackhawk and he ended up changing it over to a Bravo. Holeshot was absolutely terrible and he could'nt pull a skier up with a 750 hp blown Chevy. Ask me how I know.... He pulled me thigh deep for about 200 yards and couldn't get me any higher. I eventually got tired of hanging on and dropped off.

hack job
04-22-2004, 07:55 AM
i would tend to think that the jet might be a issue, i dont think the bottom was desgined for that. ( hints the reason eliminator didnt want to lay them up that way) you would be looking at doing lots of work to make it right and then you have a big boat with a jet , not going to be the fastest out there. i would stick with the out drive and build it to take some serious power;)

cyclone
04-22-2004, 08:52 AM
i think these guys are giving you some good advice. that doesn't seem to the be the right hull for a jet. If you want a boat of that size, why not look at Tom Papp's larger hull or even a 21-daytona? I've seen those run pretty well with a jet behind them. The Stretch Limo recieved plenty of bottom work but it seemed to run very well. If it were me and i was dead set on buying that particular boat, i'd sell the jet and put the cash into a beefed up outdrive.

flat broke
04-22-2004, 09:09 AM
I'm gonna go with everyone else on this one, but throw out 1 oddball idea afterwards.
That boat is HEAVY. throw a jet in it, and even without any potential handling problems, you are going to be dumping tons of HP into it to move at a moderate pace.
Why not sell the Edge complete (it will pull more $$ than parted out) then put those proceeds into a BURLY drive 1st, then build the big motor to kill the drive. I'm sorry but 13k worth of outdrive with gimbal etc wont last against the motor you have now very long, let alone with a 14-71 on top. The last thing you want to do is be missing trip after trip because your drive is always being repaired.
Now on to the hair brained scheme side of things :) Have Tommy call Dave and see if they'd like another test boat for a dual drive. Have them pay for a portion of the development work/bottom work/etc. If they could show that their dual drives and big power could run with an outdrive with big power in that size/weight of boat. A lot of people would jump the jet bandwagon for the simple reason that they woudln't have to worry about blowing up drives.
Either way, nice lookin boat.
Chris

565edge
04-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses.The center pod would need to be lowered quite a bit.I will take it to papp in 3 weeks to have it looked at.I probally end up putting a bravo xr drive with a imco lower on it.The blackhawk drives in these 22's move out.Stock they will do 90mph.They just dont like big power.I dont think the center pod is wide enough for dual pumps.Im sure my motor will make around 1100hp with the blower so if i did go a jet i still would beable to push it pretty good.I think ultra is coming out with a 23' deck boat with a jet.The placecraft deck is 22' also and a jet.I think it could happen.

MAXIMUS
04-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Any thing is possible! I just think you will dig on that set up a lot more with an outdrive! It will never be a "quick" drag boat. It will however be a killer cruiser with more top end than you could imagine! Then you will need to wear your jacket & helmet at the river!;)

Restless22
04-22-2004, 03:01 PM
def. do the outdrive. You will be able to fly the boat more. I love mine. Even with a stock 330 hp 454 it runs 73 with a 24 4 blade.