PDA

View Full Version : Replace Alpha Or Upgrade To Bravo 1, HELP!

payloan
04-21-2004, 08:18 PM
sorry sorry

Havasu Hangin'
04-22-2004, 04:13 AM
How did you bend the propshaft?
I don't think HP alone will do that...so I'd say stick with the Alpha. I don't think a Bravo would just "bolt up" anyway...
I'd just replace the shaft...no need to walk away from a good drive (unless you abused it).
Did you call around on the shaft pricing?

1BIGJIM
04-22-2004, 09:52 AM
You will need more than a gimble :( . You will need the complete Bravo setup. You will have to drill new mounting holes through the transcom and realign the engine and outdrive. You can buy used for about half that price. Look on Ebay I see then all the time. I would replace the Alpha with a used Alpha and enjoy what you have. Remember Prior to the Bravo the 454 was packaged with an Alpha drive.
My 2cents.. ;)

Dr. Eagle
04-22-2004, 12:01 PM
I'd say if the Alpha was performing well before, why spend the extra bucks. Besides the transom assembly is different, so you would pretty much need a whole new drive system.
Just my $.02:D

Quality Time
04-22-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree with the above comments. Converting to a Bravo will take considerably more than your "cut-off" price. Two choices as I see it, stay with the Alpha and be easy on the stick or get a new boat. The cost to do the conversion would make for a nice down payment.
Good luck with whatever you do and don't get so tanked when you are driving. Would hate to read about you in a future thread:)

SUNSATION540
04-28-2004, 10:01 PM
I hope you fixed the alpha they are cheep around here(oklahoma) i have several blown small blocks running 5 year old alphas as well as many low hp big blocks chase the chicks leave the rocks alone

VIKING
05-03-2004, 05:09 PM
If the Alpha was working good before then go to the Alpha. If your going to BIG HP then you might want to think about it.
Past that Alpha it is! drink a beer and go boating
thats my vote:D

Havasu47
05-04-2004, 04:55 PM
The Bravo gimbal will bolt right up to the same holes as the Alpha. You only have to drill 2 more holes. The engine alignment will be the same as before with only minor adjustment to align after the gimbal swap. Mercury only built 454/Alpha packages in '86, '87, & '88. It didn't take them long to realize the Alpha doesn't like the torque of the big block. Some people have good luck with that combination. It is usually in a light boat that isn't run hard.
My advise is to do the bravo swap if it is in your budget.
IMO

celeb1
05-11-2004, 02:53 PM
You will lose speed with a bravo setup, more drag from a bigger drive. What makes you think you bent the prop shaft? I ask because I have broken them but never bent one. Were you leaking gear lube? Just get the propshaft and seals replaced and save yourself a whole lot of $$.