PDA

View Full Version : Howard with an Arenson

shockwaveharry
04-22-2004, 06:55 AM
Anyone know about this 25 Howard with the surface drive? It has an HP500. I'm wondering how it ran compared to a Bravo.
http://arneson-industries.com/Step6.jpg

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 07:30 AM
I'll have to check up on this one- that seems like one expensive setup :D
Roln 20s

full throttle
04-22-2004, 08:13 AM
I can't answer your question on the performance of that particular boat, but I am sure it ran quite a bit faster that a bravo. I thought about purchasing that drive off Ebay. I have always wanted an Arneson drive, just not sure what I want to push with it. Tried to p/u a Schiada w/one a while back, but missed out.

shockwaveharry
04-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by full throttle
... Tried to p/u a Schiada w/one a while back, but missed out.
Did you ever discuss performance with the Schiada guy? I'm wondering how fast that boat was, how it handled.

Dave C
04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
why would it be expensive? A built XR like a Teaque platinum or IMCO is close to $10,000 plus an HP gimbal $3,000 plus P.S. $3,000-$6,000, your talking big bucks.
So if the arneson is close to this, why not? Considering every Bravo blow up costs a couple of grand to fix. I heard that the Arneson unit is around $15,000? Is this right?
I think the arneson is comparable. Especially if you have a virgin boat thats not cut for the Bravo transom.
The only problem that I see is how high the surface drive props sits above the water. Anyone know how high the prop is on this drive?

shockwaveharry
04-22-2004, 09:45 AM
The Howard up above is rigged with the Bravo conversion kit. the drive bolts up to the standard Bravo opening in the transom. The engine location does not change because they put the trans in the extension box.
From what I understand, the prop is designed to operate up high at the waterline, about half in and half out on plane.
All I know is that with my propshaft about 7 inches below the bottom of my boat, when I get off the throttle it's like i threw out a huge anchor. I mean, that boat stops NOW! If i could get rid of some of that drag maybe I could pick up a few mph... :D

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Just talked to Mike. They did this boat a couple of years ago-- one of the Arneson crew installed the drive and dialled it in. He said it was around the same speed as the Bravo- not any faster- but definately Bullet Proof.
Roln 20s

jackpunx
04-22-2004, 10:29 AM
I need one of those:D

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
I need one of those
Yeah you do, this one was gauranteed/rated for 800HP. I would assume they have bigger ones :D
Roln 20s

Dave C
04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
sorry I meant the height of the prop when its not moving. Doesn't it sit rather high? or high enough to cut yourself?

Dave C
04-22-2004, 03:53 PM
is that a joke? we actually want to go fast WITH some passengers.

spectras only
04-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Here's the latest from arneson. I saw one last week rigged on a 30' workboat .It looks beautiful without all the external steering crap on the older models. Also It seems more rugged than the previous models with a nice polished surface:cool: .They're working on an upgraded tranny to take serious HP. The unit comes complete with tranny at 12 K US http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/zeta1.jpg

randy77zt
04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
arneson has a very good website with info on it.on the site they say they have a drive that will bolt into a standard bravo transom hole.if i ever trade up in boat size from my weed whacker i would have to get a arneson drive because i would never keep a bravo drive together.