PDA

View Full Version : Close call this morning- be Safe

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 07:39 AM
I got a call this morning prior to 7am from my roommate (an auditor for an accounting firm)- he's been working some job near Needles this week. He planned to stay in Havasu this weekend and enjoying his Alumni days at his Frat Formal, while we attended the Poker Run. On his way to Havasu this morning, from Needles, somewhere he hit a corner a little too fast and rolled his Honda Accord. He walked away without a scratch, bruise, or any injuries (to date) and just has a totalled car. He's very lucky, and he feels he cheated death, especially since he almost rolled it into oncoming traffic.
I'm happy to say all is well, but use this as a reminder:
1) Always wear seat belts- it saved his life
2) Be cautious driving- get there in one piece and take your time
Just want to pass this out to all of you- we're one big community and I feel we all need to be safe, especially when we are venturing to our favorite vacation spot(s).
Roln 20s

jackpunx
04-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Dito... Also.. I saw a ton of bikes on there way out to river on the way to work.. We'll be heading out this afternoon.. call me later Rolln

Dave C
04-22-2004, 07:54 AM
I used to roll in my truck without wearing my seat belt until I saw one of those many police chases on TV in L.A. which a old small honda accord t-boned a suburban. The damn honda tossed that suburban like a rag doll and killed both front passengers in the Sub.:eek:
goes to show that even a small car has enough kenetic energy to kill a giant if given enough speed.
Now I wear my seat belt.

FRENCHIE
04-22-2004, 07:59 AM
thank God he is ok, i agree seat belts are a pain but a must!;)

Back To Havasu
04-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up. We all need to be reminded now and then not to neglect our own safety.;)

91nordic29
04-22-2004, 08:30 AM
patrick--
was that mitch? glad he is okay!

Krumbsnatcher
04-22-2004, 08:34 AM
For everyone going out to havasu for the poker run, remember the bikers are also on their way.
be safe, glad to hear your roomate is fine.

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 08:34 AM
was that mitch? glad he is okay!
It was actually Chris, Mitch is still jobless. Hopefully he'll land one this week :D
I'm glad he is alright too. I already lost a best friend and an ex girlfriend to car accidents in the past--don't need to lose anymore.
Thanks for the heads up. We all need to be reminded now and then not to neglect our own safety.
I couldn't agree more. Just in our busy daily lives and routine, we tend to forget about this too much.
Roln 20s

fourspeednup
04-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Wow! That hits a little too close to home! Glad Chris is OK maybe he'll get off the couch and help out a little now that he's seen the face of god:D
To everybody on here...please buckle up, the illusion of safety in a big truck(which most of us drive) is just that---an illusion. Not 2 months ago my half-brother was decapitated after being ejected from his suburban, I don't want to hear the news that I've lost another aquaintance.:frown:

topless
04-22-2004, 10:58 AM
That is way too scary. Just yesterday a co worker of mine told me a similar story with less fortunate results.
Her exhusband sells cars and a young man (in his 20's) came in with his sister to buy a car. His sister left to let him finish the deal. He left the dealership and was speeding, took a corner too fast and rolled it. Since he had no seatbelt on, he was thrown from the vehicle and died of massive head trauma.
I never start my truck without putting my seatbelt on first.

Dr. Eagle
04-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by topless
I never start my truck without putting my seatbelt on first.
Ditto.....

Cole Sanger
04-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I can't even pull the wifes car out of the garage without putting on my seat belt. Guess it is just habbit. Remember to start your kids early and it will be second nature to them.

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 01:43 PM
start your kids early and it will be second nature to them
Thats why I do it first thing- when I was little whoever had their seat belt on first got candy or something. Either way, it was incentive when I didn't understand the importance of them. Now I do understand their importance, they save lives-- thats all the incentives I need.
Roln 20s

AzDon
04-22-2004, 04:33 PM
I have been in two horrendous crashes that otherwise would have killed me EXCEPT that I was wearing the seatbelts in both cases. Seatbelts simply save lives and statistics confirm it!
There have strong wind gusts for the last 24 hours out here....the kind that try to fight you for control of a larger or less aerodynamic vehicle.... I was out truckin in it today and will be over the next two nights and days as well....There are a huge number of cyclists riding around out here this weekend because of the Laughlin run and many will be inexperienced and/or drinking or otherwise not using the best driving judgement. Every year there are 2-5 motorcycle fatalities in this area during the Laughlin weekend, usually unsafe passing. If the wind conditions don't improve by tomorrow, this year's accident rate could be MUCH worse!

LHC Kirby
04-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Just got in from LHC and the Wife and I figured we saw between 2000 and 2500 cycles going East on the 40 - non-stop cycles and 1 fatality rollover of a car in center divider.
Glad I was going West..... Havasu was great!