PDA

View Full Version : History Buff's-bet You Don't Got!

pops1
04-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Board is kinda dead so here is a challange!
Can you come up with a brochure on:
#1 Gayloard-
I teamed for him 2 years @ the parker 500, when no one could beat Rudy with his HEMI Ford.
Winner- Free re-build kit
#2 Dragon Craft-
One of the owners and originators is a cousin, and another is a long old friend. I still think one of the best looking boats ever.
Winner - free rebuild kit
I did flatties to stump you guy's as you seem to have everything under the sun on Jets.
PS - Just for fun!:wink: Dave @ Aggressor

cyclone
04-22-2004, 08:08 AM
hmmm. i'm thinking of tonneau covers right now. think i got the first one covered with a phone call......

hack job
04-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by cyclone
hmmm. i'm thinking of tonneau covers right now. think i got the first one covered with a phone call......
thats right on target mike;) they layed up some hulls and one that was identical to a spectra 20 in fact there used to be one for sale for a couple of years at there old place( they must have moved there mainfactuing plant) so i guess the boat might still e for sale if i knew were they moved too. lol
i know old rigger would know more about them and iam sure 1bahnerjet has some pics some were. lol
old rigger also has some stories up on the cbbb page . one talks about dragon craft boats;)

manuel
04-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Dragoncraft
http://forums.v-driveboat.com/images/gallery/photos/18_Dscf0001.jpg

old rigger
04-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pops1
#1 Gayloard-
I teamed for him 2 years @ the parker 500, when no one could beat Rudy with his HEMI Ford.
WOW!!!!!!!!
That's GOTTA be a first. In all the years (30 or so) we had a place at Parker I've never seen a boat run the Parker 500 (400) . Seen lots of weird shit in the race, a guy use to run a bike with his dog clinging to the gas tank. Use to be a guy that ran a 36 Ford sedan. Saw Micky Thompson race one year with a broken back and had to be lifted and straped into his rear engined Luv truck, but I've never seen a flat bottom run in that race. Got any pics?
Seen many flats run the old Parker 9hr enduro though.
hehe...just ****in with ya pops.

cyclone
04-22-2004, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pops1
[B]Board is kinda dead so here is a challange!
Can you come up with a brochure on:
#1 Gayloard-
Winner- Free re-build kit
#2 Dragon Craft-
One of the owners and originators is a cousin, and another is a long old friend. I still think one of the best looking boats ever.
Winner - free rebuild kit
I did flatties to stump you guy's as you seem to have everything under the sun on Jets.
How about info about Gaylord that might be more interesting? Bill is moving shops and according to my sources has two unrigged boats from the original molds for sale. one is a daycruiser and the other????
I guess they've been going through old boxes and finding cool stuff like an old credit card swiping machine that still says Gaylord Boats, linwood ave....
Now do i win or what????
:D :D

hack job
04-22-2004, 02:08 PM
hey i gave you half that info ( and i stole it form OR) lol;)

cyclone
04-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by hack job
hey i gave you half that info ( and i stole it form OR) lol;)
hey dont lie to make friends. er i mean to win a free rebuild kit. :D

hack job
04-22-2004, 02:41 PM
why would i need one of those i have fresh pump with two laps on it ;)

old rigger
04-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, the gaylord cruiser is long gone and I think Flat Broke told me he saw it over at Sals for a re-gel. Figures, just about the time I decided to go and buy it (along with 2 and a half casale v-drives, some assorted gears and a bunch of other v-drive hardware) it was gone. The guy that owns So Cal Imports, a
v-dub place, bought the property where gaylord had their glass shop set up. Dunno where they lay up the stuff now?
That cruiser was pretty nice. A light lay up compared to a Spectra and one of the worst tape jobs I've ever seen on a gel coat job, but the bottom was straight, and it'd never been rigged cept for a windshield and a few other things. It was inserted for a strut and plates too. I think it was layed up in '78 or '79. He was quoting me a super low price just to get it gone and that was last year some time. I would think that someone got a hell of a deal.

RiverToysJas
04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
My Dad's cousin owned a Gaylord flatty in the early 70s. It was wicked fast from what my has told me of that boat. Not sure there's any photos of it floating around.....I'll have to see.
RTJas :D

bigkatboat
04-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I have to look for them, but I have both Gaylord (Lynwood Cal.) and Dragon Craft Paper work. I have another one "Ellis Ellis" from Hollywood Cal. Do YOU remember them? I also have some from Hondo, they show 327" Chevy motor as 'offered' turn key. I'll look for them and report back. You young kids!

disco_charger
04-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Wasn't Dragon Craft a left/right mold instead of a top/bottom deal?:eek: The only think I remember about them is my father telling me never to buy a boat where the water won't run off of the deck! ;)

pops1
04-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by manuel
Dragoncraft
http://forums.v-driveboat.com/images/gallery/photos/18_Dscf0001.jpg
E Me - djones@aggressorjetdrives and I will send you the rebuild kit. Look's like a good one going together!That is one of the best looking boats designed. No Freeboard but Nasty Looking- WOW! Dave

pops1
04-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by old rigger
WOW!!!!!!!!
That's GOTTA be a first. In all the years (30 or so) we had a place at Parker I've never seen a boat run the Parker 500 (400) . Seen lots of weird shit in the race, a guy use to run a bike with his dog clinging to the gas tank. Use to be a guy that ran a 36 Ford sedan. Saw Micky Thompson race one year with a broken back and had to be lifted and straped into his rear engined Luv truck, but I've never seen a flat bottom run in that race. Got any pics?
Seen many flats run the old Parker 9hr enduro though.
hehe...just ****in with ya pops. That's what it was called the 9 hour- not the 500- Its all about age thing going fast.
I do know Rudy swamped us two years in a row.
I thought you would hit on one of these! You don't have a gayloard photo around.

pops1
04-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by disco_charger
Wasn't Dragon Craft a left/right mold instead of a top/bottom deal?:eek: The only think I remember about them is my father telling me never to buy a boat where the water won't run off of the deck! ;) Good Looking but no freeboard

roostwear
04-23-2004, 08:46 AM
The closest I came come to anything about Gaylo(a?)rd is this website (http://www.gaylordslids.com/about.asp). Sounds like the same Gaylord, and an email or two should get some answers.
Do I win a rebuild kit? :D

LOWRIVER2
04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Hey old rigger,
a guy use to run a bike with his dog clinging to the gas tank.
I think the dog's name was kookie if I remember right. My uncle raced enduro for Honda in the 70's and I saw that dog often at races. I have a picture book from that guy with a paw print from the dog. Thanks for bringing back some good memories of watching those races.

old rigger
04-23-2004, 08:57 AM
disco bahner, ( I saw on another post that you're STILL calling that thing a Rogers)
Your right about the dragon craft mold. At the risk of repeating my self, again, we had those molds for a short burst of time back in the 80s at Advantage. I won't go into detail here cause it's posted somewhere around here, but some guy that already had a dragon craft hull that was to far gone to restore, found the original molds and brought them into the shop one winter and we fixed them up a little and built him a part. The deck mold is a 2 peice deal, split down the center, I think. Like pops, I can't remember stuff to well that happened so long ago. Anyway, if the mold wasn't split, the part would never come out.
Pops, no pics of anything I ever built. I have enough images running through my nightmares of boat shows, deadlines, bounced checks, suppliers that don't come through, wrong engines sent, wrong gauges, too short of wire looms in stock, no carpet cause the mills in the south are on strike, trrailers painted the wrong shade of whatever color, not enough stripes in the seats, detailers screwing boats to trailers (really) .....I still, after being out of it since 94, still wake up with the sweats.
No Pics pops, but hell, I did build quite possibly the last dragon out of the molds. That ought to be worth at least one of your stickers.
Do you remember the big crash at the start of the '78 Parker Enduro? I think it was 78. They (you) only got to race 6 hours that year, instead of the energy crisis shorted 7 that was supposed to be run.
You must have some killer pics from your racing.....come on, share a little. You're the real deal man, a racer.

manuel
04-23-2004, 10:00 AM
More Dragoncraft here, pix are Bitmap and I couldn't convert them and could not post them in this reply,
http://www.440magnum-network.com/emailed/1999/may99/1969dragoncraftflatbottom.shtml
And another one at lake Mead,
http://www.moparlosangeles.com/V-Drive440Wedge.html

old rigger
04-23-2004, 10:11 AM
I think the dog's name was kookie if I remember right. My uncle raced enduro for Honda in the 70's and I saw that dog often at races. I have a picture book from that guy with a paw print from the dog. Thanks for bringing back some good memories of watching those races. [/B][/QUOTE]
Damn, you got a better memory than me. I do remember that the guy had a big ol chunk of carpet tied to his gas tank and the dog would just hang on with his paws. I wonder if the dog ever fell off?
I had a friend that raced VWs back then. Everything from the stock class( class 11 ? I think) , to Bajas, buggies and one year he was sponsered by VW and raced a Thing. Broke the floor pan on that one I think. I think that's what he told me, that was their weak spot. Lotta fun. You must have had a blast having an uncle to help.

hottrodder
04-23-2004, 12:34 PM
I found a bad pic of a Gaylord
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/93gaylord.jpg

Cas
04-23-2004, 08:28 PM
couldn't find an ad for the boats but found an ad for a distributor of Dragon Craft
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3870dragon-med.JPG
this place still in business?

disco_charger
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by old rigger
disco bahner, ( I saw on another post that you're STILL calling that thing a Rogers)
You know me, just a big poser. ;) By the way, it's not a Bahner either. Supposedly it's a salvage. It got hurt real bad on the trailer long ago. It's listed as a home built. The guys at Littlefields shop sure thought it was originally a Rogers when Mert orderd it. Todd found the repairs and some of the original hull Id number. I don't know. The bottom is identical to Todd's 18...

RandyH
04-24-2004, 03:59 AM
1970 Gaylord Flattie
http://www.boatsville.com/boats/779/779Mvc-003f.jpg
http://www.boatsville.com/boats/779/779Mvc-004f.jpg
RandyH:D

old rigger
04-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by disco_charger
You know me, just a big poser. ;) By the way, it's not a Bahner either. Supposedly it's a salvage. It got hurt real bad on the trailer long ago. It's listed as a home built. The guys at Littlefields shop sure thought it was originally a Rogers when Mert orderd it. Todd found the repairs and some of the original hull Id number. I don't know. The bottom is identical to Todd's 18...
It's gotta be a Bahner. There's no way that deck came outa a rogers mold, no matter how much damage was done to it and repaired. Why fight it, the decks a Bahner, the corners are Bahner, not Rogers, the bustle's Bahner. Might be a theft recovery with that wierd paper work. Use to be pretty popular thing to do, in fact I use to work with a guy that made his second income stealing boats, launching them on the trailer and puting out past the Queen Mary. He'd cut the trailer loose in the ocean, and go back to the launch ramp and put the boat on a new trailer. Dummy up the paper work like your boat has, change the numbers on the hull and sell it. He did dozens of these boats, maybe over 50 in the years I knew him. He later got caught and went to prison, but is still in biz in Huntington Beach. Some of you are probably customers of this guy.
By the way, ALL 18 Bahner bottoms are identical to a Rogers, so there's no real surprise there.:wink:

disco_charger
04-24-2004, 06:55 AM
OK