PDA

View Full Version : I am at 20 hrs

dimarcobros
04-22-2004, 08:55 AM
on our deck boat and have an appointment for next Friday to get it serviced. Can I still use it this weekend or is that a bad idea?
DMB

mbrown2
04-22-2004, 08:57 AM
I would think it would be fine....I asked about the same thing...(although they are outboards), and they said 30-50 should be fine...

OGShocker
04-22-2004, 09:05 AM
I'd use it this weekend.
I did our 50 hour service at 45.
We had B&D Marine do our 50. Brian and his crew were FAST and professional. Our boat was cleaned and ready for the lake within a day. As far as I am concerned, comparing B&D to anyone else is like comparing Chicken Salad to Chicken Shit...IMO
OGS

roln 20s
04-22-2004, 09:09 AM
we did our 20 hour at nearly 40 on our ski boat- you should be fine!
Roln 20s

Dr. Eagle
04-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Long as you haven't noticed any problems, and you have done the owner checks you are supposed to do.... Use it!!!!!!!
Kind of like "I have 3000 miles on my car, can I go to 3,400 before I change my oil?" It won't hurt anything... (I hope).:D

dimarcobros
04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
I'd use it this weekend.
I did our 50 hour service at 45.
We had B&D Marine do our 50. Brian and his crew were FAST and professional. Our boat was cleaned and ready for the lake within a day. As far as I am concerned, comparing B&D to anyone else is like comparing Chicken Salad to Chicken Shit...IMO
OGS
I could not agree with you more. B&D are great! We just don't want to tow it all the way home for a minor service, if we blew a motor then that would be a different story.
Thank you all for the responses, i think we will be taking it out.
DMB

mirvin
04-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Long as you haven't noticed any problems, and you have done the owner checks you are supposed to do.... Use it!!!!!!!
Kind of like "I have 3000 miles on my car, can I go to 3,400 before I change my oil?" It won't hurt anything... (I hope).:D
Hey Doc, I've always done the earl at 5,000. Every car I've ever had. My truck has 105k on it no problems. You can go 10k if you have too. The 3k is Jiffy lube bs.:D
mirvin

dimarcobros
04-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
Hey Doc, I've always done the earl at 5,000. Every car I've ever had. My truck has 105k on it no problems. You can go 10k if you have too. The 3k is Jiffy lube bs.:D
mirvin
Doesn't it also depend on how you drive it? I know the dealership recommend a oil change at every 7k for my tahoe but since I run it pretty hard, especially on rice road, I get it changed about every 4 or so.
DMB

Mandelon
04-22-2004, 11:11 AM
No, don't do it. If you go to 21 hours it will automatically explode killing all things within a six mile radius.....:D :rolleyes: :D
I hope you feel silly now.....:D

bear down
04-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Check out what Merc told be about when to do my service.
Read from the bottom up.
Thank you for your most recent inquiry. There is no
> longer a 20 hour
> service check, so waiting until the end of the first
> boating season or 100
> hours (whichever comes first) is acceptable. Please
> follow daily and
> weekly service requirements in regards to fluids,
> batteries, etc. as well.
> I hope this information was helpful and please let
> MerCruiser Consumer
> service know if we can be of further assistance.
>
> Mike Sheline
> MerCruiser Consumer Service Administrator
>
>
>
>
>
> mercruiser_customer_assistance@mercmarine.com on
> 06/11/2003 08:22:18 PM
>
> To: mercruiser_customer_assistance@mercmarine.com
> cc:
>
> Subject: 0M38 - Guillermo And Guillermo And
>
> Contact Request:
> Name: Guillermo And Guillermo And
> Address: 7909 Crossway Dr.
> City/State: Pico Rivera/CA
> Zip: 90660
>
> Home Phone: 909 6363753 (Morning)
> Work Phone: 909 6363753 (Morning)
>
> Email Address: Bearimmortality@yahoo.com
>
> Serial Number: 0M3
> Model Number: 4S4
> Dealer Name: Guillermo Andrade
> Boat Manufacturer: Eliminator
> Boat Model: 220 Eagle
>
> Contact By: E-Mail
>
> Comments:
> I have a 496 Mag. Engine. In the manual it
> recommends getting the engine
> serviced at 100 hrs or every year which ever comes
> first. The dealers say
> to get it done at 20 hrs. Will it void my warranty
> if I wait till the 100
> hrs or 1 year? Thanks
>
> Mercury Marine
> info@mercmarine.com
> http://www.mercurymarine.com
>
>

Dr. Eagle
04-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by mirvin
mirvin
Well I aim at 3k..........and no I don't take it to Jiffy Lube. I usually end up at 4-5K... like this time. The Change Engine Oil light has been coming on for a week. I have done one oil change since the computer was reset, so I am at about 4K. By the time I will get it in to have it changed it will probably be at least 4,500.
I figure you can go longer, and it will save you money... but if there is anything good you can do for an engine it is put in new oil. So I suck it up and do it more often than the Mfg recommends...but rarely at 3K...