PDA

View Full Version : BG280 fuel pumps

Heatseeker
05-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Anybody running a BG280?
I went and bought one(I got a pretty good deal on it) without doing my homework. I've had a guy tell me that he had one and it left him stranded. BG's tech guys don't recommend them for boats, but they were also pushing their "new" continuous duty pumps ($425-$600) in the same email.
I just want to put my boat together. But I don't want to get stranded(especially with mama in the boat eek! !) If any of you guys have any experience with these pumps, I'd like to hear it.
Thanks.

DEL51
05-12-2003, 07:17 PM
I used a BG 400 and it worked well for about 40 hours and then needed a rebuld.It started surging as if it had ran out of fuel.I had it rebuilt and went on to an HR220 pump that also worked well but I do not have enough hours on it to determine its longevity.You could ask how long it was in use and see if it holds pressure. These pumps require a return from the pump or regulator back to the tank. This will help them live a lot longer.Make sure you use a Big port regulator, 1/2 inch diameter lines, and you will be ok.You can always use a mechanical pump in series, I did this on a nitrous motor. On this setup I ran the electric into the mechanical then to a regulator.The mechanical pump had enough suction to draw the fuel through the electric pump when it was off, incase of failure and the electric could hold the set pressure of the regulator with the engine off.You could get a spare holley blue pump with some fittings and electrical connectors made to work in a jam,incase of the pump failing.
[ May 12, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: DEL51 ]

77charger
05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
i have the 220 on the race boat at first we were using the side tanks with big pick ups.Pump had trouble priming and would lose prime when i let off the gas.The solution was to mount a tank higher than the pump so that it is gravity fed they dont suck fuel from the side tanks at all.A friend of mine has the mallory 220(?)for his jet boat and is able to use the side tanks and also uses a 4 port BG reg so far that is working out for him

Heatseeker
05-12-2003, 08:22 PM
The 280 I bought has an internal bypass. I am trying to stay away from running bypass' to the tanks on this boat, since the engine will only be in it for this season. That and I had a hell of time R&R'ing the tanks last year!
Opinions: Should I mount it up and run with it? I do have a couple of Holley blues. I guess I could set one up for emergency installation. I bet this new engine would starve bad on a hard run with it though. It barely ran the stock engine with the blower on it at WOT !
I just don't want to be on the long end of the tow rope!
Thanks for the feedback.

TIMINATOR
05-12-2003, 09:20 PM
We don't use the BG pumps any more since the tow-rope deal, to make matters worse,it only needed a seal(was sucking air and leaking fuel)and BG WILL NOT SELL REPLACEMENT PARTS! Rather than them sending me a replacement seal overnite or second-day air and me being able to use it the following weekend,They made me send them the whole pump(MUCH MORE SHIPPING and BOTH WAYS!)for them to take 6 days before they sent it back,(a total of 2+ weeks).The pump was 4 weeks old, the shipping paid BY ME BOTH WAYS was about $24.00 with insurance. I sold it at the next swap meet and have never used their stuff since.The Holley mechanical Hi-Volume pump is quiet,allways works, AND I CAN BUY PARTS FOR IT! It feeds the 572 at 6100 rpm (790HP?)and 93 MPH,I don't need BGs overpriced stuff. Just my opinion,and I could be wrong.

DEL51
05-12-2003, 09:23 PM
One of the guys on the banderlog board has a dedicated blue pump on each tank. He connected side "A" to one primary and one secondary and the same for the "B" side, tunnel ram or blower I don't know,.I have mounted the pumps I have used slightly above the fuel tank outlet without problems.I think vents are as important as anything.There was a cool post about lack of gasoline lubrication for proper pump operation. I think Gregg Shoemaker had some input.

TIMINATOR
05-12-2003, 10:27 PM
I also made mention of using Marvel Mystry oil or 2 stroke oil for electric pump lube,it makes them last MUCH LONGER,and it makes them quieter too! I still prefer to run mechanical pumps though because the electrical pump must kill itself making full pressure all the time,even when the engine is at idle. The mechanical runs at engine speed and is idling when the motor is,and only runs hard when the motor is.

Unchained
05-13-2003, 03:22 AM
TIMINATOR:
I still prefer to run mechanical pumps though because the electrical pump must kill itself making full pressure all the time,even when the engine is at idle. The mechanical runs at engine speed and is idling when the motor is,and only runs hard when the motor is. That's right, I'm mounting a gearbelt drive Aeromotive mechanical pump up to the front of the jet pump now to feed the twin turbo engine.
Mounting the pump at the back of the engine and down low should minimize the pump having to draw fuel from the side tanks.

Infomaniac
05-13-2003, 06:17 AM
This mechanical pump by Clay Smith is good for 1400 HP.
Use a bypass regulator after the carbs and there is no restriction to flow.
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-25-06707-Fuel_Pump.jpg

Heatseeker
05-13-2003, 07:23 AM
I knew I blew it with the BG pump! Dammit man!!!
For the price, I think the Clay Smith pump is looking pretty good! They claim it can handle 1300 HP on gas or alcohol. That's alot of alcohol. I Guess it should be sufficient for my little 850 HP blown gas engine!
Would it be possible to run it without a bypass for a season? I really don't have the time(or energy) to pull those damn tanks again!
As always, Thanks guys. Without all of you guys and you input, I'd be dead in the water(literally!!!)!

Infomaniac
05-13-2003, 08:01 AM
You did'nt blow it. I have been let down by electric pumps 1 too many times in a boat.
It will have probably 13 lbs without a bypass. I would not try it.
Return to where the tanks "T" together rather than the tank itself. A good distance ahead of the pump. Some filters have a return fitting also.
The very best place is to return to the air space of the tank. I have done all of the above with good results.
[ May 13, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

78Eliminator
05-13-2003, 09:17 AM
I have the BG280 (it came with my boat). I am selling it on ebay. It's just like everyone said, it's just a matter of time until they strand you. And that "internal bypass" is bullshit. It cavitates against your fuel pressure regulator and gets hotter and hotter until it starts damaging itself. I even had a special toggle switch so I could shut it off and just run off the fuel in my bowls when I was idling into the docks. Even with my motor off, it's hard to lsiten to people talk with that thing running. Go with the mechanical....

Blown 472
05-13-2003, 10:00 AM
I run the clay smith pump on my boat without a bypass for now and I have never had a problem wif it.

Infomaniac
05-13-2003, 10:24 AM
I had a brain fart. I think they have a low press and a high press version.

Heatseeker
05-13-2003, 10:33 AM
I was wondering if I could cheat and run the bypass to the tee behind the filter instead of all the way to the tanks. Sounds like that's the way to go for now. Can I use a BG 2 port regulator, because I bought one of those too? Now I'm thinking it's not going to work for me either. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Infomaniac
05-13-2003, 12:48 PM
The regulator will probably work. I do not use them because they restrict flow a bit.

Unchained
05-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Heatseeker:
I was wondering if I could cheat and run the bypass to the tee behind the filter instead of all the way to the tanks. Sounds like that's the way to go for now. Can I use a BG 2 port regulator, because I bought one of those too? Now I'm thinking it's not going to work for me either. :confused: :confused: :confused: I think that will work fine, The return regulator does'nt have to bypass near as much fuel with a mechanical pump as an electric pump because the flow parallells the engine speed somewhat.

Heatseeker
05-13-2003, 07:09 PM
Bitchin!
I'm ordering the pump tomorrow. I'm gonna get this thing together yet!!!
Now I need to get the proper length for the pushrods and get them ordered.

VD CRUISER
05-15-2003, 05:32 PM
I run the Clay Smith pump with the Clay Smith 4 port regulator on my 540 motor with 10:71 mooneyham and 1050's and it works fine.

wsuwrhr
05-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Heetseeker, check your PM's.
Brian

wsuwrhr
05-17-2003, 06:54 AM
On the subject of electric pumps, I feel the same way about BG's prices. Even though I machine parts and I know what it costs, I feel their parts are way overpriced.
I used two Holley blues in my boat for the reliability factor, I run one and have a backup. For the next motor, I probably will run both. Sell your pump on EBay, since it is new and you got a deal, maybe you will come out AHEAD.
You can afford some parts from me...haha
Brian