PDA

View Full Version : I braved a trip to the DMV today.

Mandelon
04-22-2004, 03:05 PM
I needed to register the Lavey and the trailer, the Jeep I bought last November......:rolleyes: and get duplicate paperwork for Gottajetboat's new baby.
I was dreading the visit. Last time I went it took 2.5 hours and the fees were horrific.
This time there was hardly anyone inside the place, and I was done with all of it in half an hour....
I couldn't believe it. Should I give the credit to Governor Schwarzenegger or just lucky timing????
It was the DMV in Clairmont. No, I don't have AAA.....
:D :D

Tom Brown
04-22-2004, 03:07 PM
They always work faster at gunpoint.

summerlove
04-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Lucky timing - I'd be surprised if the Gov was able to make the lines go away that fast! Last time I was at the DMV I had a similar expereince - it was about 2-3 years ago for a DL replacement.
You know, the amount of time you go to the river and tow your boat you should invest in the AAA Plus program - they'll tow you 100 miles w/o any charge. I had to use it one time when the fuel pump on the Suburban quit one night in Needles at about 11 pm and AAA towed me to Havasu, dropped off the truck at the dealer and then took us to our house - all for free (I tipped the guy $40). I am a believer.....

Mandelon
04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I have a membership in some Good Sam type deal that will tow me and the camper and the boat, but they don't do a registration service. But I do have the towing and gas service thing. You are right about it, that is money well spent.

summerlove
04-22-2004, 03:26 PM
at least you have something - It'd be a drag to get caught in the desert and be at the mercy of the tow truck company 100 miles from BFE...

HCS
04-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Saturday right before closing, walkin take care of biz walkout.

Mandelon
04-22-2004, 03:41 PM
I must have crossed the desert half a dozen times with either no spare or without a lug wrench that fit the trailer. Doh. Just lucky I guess.

Dr. Eagle
04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I couldn't believe it. Should I give the credit to Governor Schwarzenegger or just lucky timing????
Lucky timing........:D

HCS
04-22-2004, 03:47 PM
I always try and make sure I have that stuff. Seen to many people
on the side of the road. No spare or jack for their trailer.

dimarcobros
04-22-2004, 03:51 PM
What were you doing in Clairmont? That is a bit of a drive for you isn't? :confused: :confused: Another 20 minutes on the 210 and we could have had lunch.
DMB

Mandelon
04-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Clairmont, not Clairemont. Its in San Diego.....

DryHeatOnly
04-22-2004, 04:04 PM
...probably a little lucky.
Whenever dealing with the DMV these days, make an appointment online if you can.
I've done a DL renewal and plate replacement on separate occassions. I was in and out in under 15 minutes each time.

dimarcobros
04-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Clairmont, not Clairemont. Its in San Diego.....
My bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
DMB

Lightning
04-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I did the same thing today, went to AAA - took 3 minutes.
I almost went to DMV, but remembered that I had AAA.

Mandelon
04-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Does AAA have CF stickers????

78Eliminator
04-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Mandy, you discovered it. You are now in the "in" crowd. Clairmont DMV, is the fastest DMV in California. Now you know.....:D

Debbolas
04-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Does AAA have CF stickers????
yes
:D

Froggystyle
04-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Mandy, you discovered it. You are now in the "in" crowd. Clairmont DMV, is the fastest DMV in California. Now you know.....:D
Second fastest. The one down by the San Ysidro border crossing is the very best. There is a Spanish speaking side and an English speaking side. Big shocker... the English side is always empty even though the lot is slammed with old pickups.
That is where I go. They are always happy to see a round eye in there.

78Eliminator
04-23-2004, 10:52 AM
San Ysidro? Heck, that sounds great. I would never want to miss the opportunity to visit such a fine city :D ;)

OGShocker
04-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
My bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
DMB
I was mad he didn't call me for a beer. I am only 5 miles from Clairemont.;)

Ziggy
04-23-2004, 11:53 AM
I needed to register the Lavey and the trailer, the Jeep I bought last November......:rolleyes: and get duplicate paperwork for Gottajetboat's new baby.
I was dreading the visit. Last time I went it took 2.5 hours and the fees were horrific.
This time there was hardly anyone inside the place, and I was done with all of it in half an hour....
It was the DMV in Clairmont. No, I don't have AAA.....
And they spoke english to you?? Thats a double lucky treat.
FYI...friend who lives in Havasu keeps his hotrod resgistered in Ca. so he used the Needles DMV. He said it was the easiest ever DMV he's ever been to. Its tiny and just located in a strip mall but absolutely no lines and no BS...his tricky deal ended up being easy as pie. No power trips by the employee whatsoever.

Kilrtoy
04-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Should I give the credit to Governor Schwarzenegger
YEAH RIGHT,
The only thing I give him credit for is over rated action flicks.
DMV's are all different.
I can go 15 miles to Van Nuys and wait 3 hours.
I can go 5 miles to Winnetka and wait 2 hours
I can go 8 miles Simi Valley the drive, wait time, service time and return trip will take 30 to 45 minutes, total. This has nothing to do with this piece of shit called the gov.

Sandbar Junkies
04-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Should I give the credit to Governor Schwarzenegger
YEAH RIGHT,
The only thing I give him credit for is over rated action flicks.
DMV's are all different.
I can go 15 miles to Van Nuys and wait 3 hours.
I can go 5 miles to Winnetka and wait 2 hours
I can go 8 miles Simi Valley the drive, wait time, service time and return trip will take 30 to 45 minutes, total. This has nothing to do with this piece of shit called the gov.
Wow I think you have issues with our Gov. Can't we all just get along.
My buddies wife works at the DMV so I just call her and she takes care of me with no wait.

BarryMac
04-23-2004, 01:42 PM
you are the man delon!

Kilrtoy
04-23-2004, 01:44 PM
My buddies wife works at the DMV so I just call her and she takes care of me with no wait
I have one of those too, but it is easier to go to Simi Valley