PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Rebuild

AmericanThunder1
04-23-2004, 07:43 AM
:confused: I pulled my pump out which is a Berkley 12jc and It was bad berrings sheared in half, impeller was toast things like that. So I need to rebuild it something I am going to do but have never done. I looked on this site and found a rex marine rebuild for 400 bucks does this give me everything I will need? and is this a good kit for a reasonable price? Also I am gps at 59.8mph with five people in the boat I believe the impeller is a Bcut should I stay with this or could I get better results with something else? Thanks for any input.

pops1
04-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by AmericanThunder1
:confused: I pulled my pump out which is a Berkley 12jc and It was bad berrings sheared in half, impeller was toast things like that. So I need to rebuild it something I am going to do but have never done. I looked on this site and found a rex marine rebuild for 400 bucks does this give me everything I will need? and is this a good kit for a reasonable price? Also I am gps at 59.8mph with five people in the boat I believe the impeller is a Bcut should I stay with this or could I get better results with something else? Thanks for any input.
First of all I must tell you I am part of Aggressor jet drive. #1 for you is a rebuild kit should run $240-300
Impeller $315 to 360 Alum to 400 HP go to another impeller alloy after that.
#1 Rebuild Kit- Only if it is a Lipped Wear Ring- Get only Graphite Packing, Thrust Bearing 11Balls two rows(pre- Clearenced Ground) Watch your Seals on Imports.
#2 Impeller selection- If a "B" is turning the desired RPMs stay there. If you have other desires for say lower cruise speeds, greater power on launch say for multiple ski pulls "or". Then think about a larger impeller.
No 2 Impellers mfg are not the same in flow rate, volumn capacity or output thrust. You need to find this out by finding a good local dealer that will assist you in your selection. Find out the Manufacture of each product and you will do OK-Install, Enjoy
You don't need a blue printing unless you are going hard core racing.
You can contact most all Pump Mfg's. to get a local dealer and recommendation from each. Good Luck!

Heatseeker
04-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Send a PM to Duane HTP. He runs a shop out of Goddard, Kansas. He'll set you up.

Rexone
04-23-2004, 10:11 AM
The $399 kit includes everything you will need except tools. We use only top quality American Turbine or Legend impellers depending on application and wear ring style. The $399 kits includes the impeller and wear ring. If interested please call Bob or Tom for more detailed info on the correct setup for your particular ap as far as impeller and wear ring choice. 909-392-7300
:)

TexasJet
04-23-2004, 12:36 PM
I assume "WhiteCloud Ks." means you are in Kansas. If you are you may want to take your boat to Goddard, thats where Duane has Hi-Tech Performance. He specializes in jets. He just rebuilt mine and I picked up 11 MPH at 4000 RPM. Don't know the top speed yet, been to windy.

Kachina72
04-23-2004, 02:53 PM
The $399 kit includes everything you will need except tools.
Are there any special tools required?
I'm going to be doing my first pump rebuild soon also and will be ordering the rebuild kit from Rex (thanks for the mini-catalog btw).

miller19j
04-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
The $399 kit includes everything you will need except tools. We use only top quality American Turbine or Legend impellers depending on application and wear ring style. The $399 kits includes the impeller and wear ring. If interested please call Bob or Tom for more detailed info on the correct setup for your particular ap as far as impeller and wear ring choice. 909-392-7300
:) If you decide to do it yourself (not that hard I did mine). Buy your parts from Rex Marine! They will give you all the help and advice you need. They are a top notch crew!

Danhercules
04-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Ya need a special socket to get the impeller nut off. Some guys make there own by cutting a deep socket and making it deeper and other stuff. Rex sells them too. Geee, what dose Rex not sell???

AmericanThunder1
04-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you fellow jetters for the info I will definately give all these guys a call. To reply on the first reply about the impeller I am only getting 4300 rpm max at 60 mph and I have one hell of a holeshot as it is. I am thinking different impeller? I know there is a lot of detail facters im sure on this subject so heres what I know. The guy I had rebuild the moter did not save the specs and part #s for me but I do know most of it so here it goes if this helps....
BBF 460 bored .30 over forged alum compression 10:1 steel crank new stock oval port heads, shot pinged the rods, Double roller timing chain, crane cam hydraulic no rollers 565x108, stock intake going to change asap, crappy vacuum secondary 750 holly with a basset scoop and factory filter that shitty brass one, and finally water injected over transom headers and a hydraulic place diverter.
Hope this helps and thanks again. very interested in getting to the 70mph range:) oh ya the high strength valve springs too.

ChetCapoli
04-24-2004, 08:27 AM
:confused: I looked on this site and found a rex marine rebuild for 400 bucks does this give me everything I will need? and is this a good kit for a reasonable price?
Boy the spammers come out in herds with post like this i see...:D From what i noticed there is only a VERY FEW that really carry a COMPLETE kit for less than $400. Everyone notices the price cuz it's cheap(like me) but alot of kits leave out little things you need like impeller nuts and keyways. Two things you need to do the job. Make sure you get a lipped wear ring so you can setup you clearance better and not the SS flat. I dont think rex sells it unless you ask as with CP performance and eddie marine. If your running in sandy area's dont run the ultimate wear ring as it doesnt like sand and it eats em up slowly, i learned the hard way. Ask around on it and you'll get the same opinion. Stick with the brass lipped and you'll be fine.
CHET

Duane HTP
04-24-2004, 09:16 AM
We have literally hundreds of the Ultimate Wear Rings out in the field in use. Many satisfied customers. However, as with any product, not All are happy. These are not sand pumps. Sand will destroy any material a wear ring is made out of. Chet did bring out one good point about the Ultimate Wear Ring though.
it eats em up slowly,
This is true. Very slowly, and it don't destroy your impeller every time like a medal wear ring does when you're using the jet for a sand pump. That's one of the advantages of using them. We do, however, sell the metal lined wear rings with our kits if that is what you prefer.

ChetCapoli
04-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
This is true. Very slowly, and it don't destroy your impeller every time like a medal wear ring does when you're using the jet for a sand pump. That's one of the advantages of using them. We do, however, sell the metal lined wear rings with our kits if that is what you prefer.
I wonder how many of brass rings are out there compared the plastic ones? Anyone know? I would think the brass gives you a little extra protection in case you lose a bearing due to failure. That plastic deal would last about two seconds before that impeller hits the suction i would think. There is one advantage of that wear ring that i can see..it's...pretty :D (The extra cost nulls that advantage) I bought into a gimmick. Live and learn.
I find it hard to believe you would ever sell a brass wear ring over a plastic one.
CHET

Duane HTP
04-24-2004, 08:37 PM
You can probably tell here that Chet dosen't have a clue what he's talking about, like usual. There is no plastic in out wear rings. He thinks this because a lot of the other companies use a plastic to hold the brass liner in place. The part about the bearinig going out and letting the impeller hit the housing sooner is Hog Wash. We all know that if the thrust bearing goes out, the impeller is going to move forward no matter what the material.
If you will go back and read a few posts that Chet has made, you will find that he has issues with just about every product and everybody. You'll see real quick that his advise is useless. He will probably always have problems with our products. Here's why, most of our products have a prerequisite to using them. It is that "The user must be smarter than the product itself." Sorry Chet. Chet has never used one of our Snoots. Yet, he can tell you how bad they are.
Hey Cjet, I have an idea. I have a brand new product coming out in about two weeks. Why don't you get on here and tell everybody why it doesn't work, that it costs too much, and that they should not buy one before anyone even knows what it is??? Have at it Chet. I'm sure you know just as much about it as everything else you write about. Well???

AmericanThunder1
04-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Well My intentions were definately not to start trouble however I am not a dumb ass myself I know metals thats what I do and I definately dont want brass anything in my pump for it is a soft compound and I live in a sandy envionment. SS is the way to go but I am not ready to spend 1,000+ "YET" The wear wing that came out was not metal or plastic it was a hard fiber like material. Could be original I dont know but I would have to agree with Duane about wearing the housing because I took the pump apart myself and the impeller had no way to move back except for the fact that my bearing was absolute toast. Did my housing get some wear yes but I still Have a lip there and its not enough wear to spend the price of a new housing.
Duane thumbs up! I dont want to be in the middle of a selling war But I got some personal emails on your good work in the past so expect a phone call :) Thank you senior members for all your replies I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
Americanthunder

matt1
04-25-2004, 02:06 AM
"YET" The wear wing that came out was not metal or plastic it was a hard fiber like material.
Was it orange in color.

Rexone
04-25-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
Boy the spammers come out in herds with post like this i see...:D From what i noticed there is only a VERY FEW that really carry a COMPLETE kit for less than $400. Everyone notices the price cuz it's cheap(like me) but alot of kits leave out little things you need like impeller nuts and keyways. Two things you need to do the job. Make sure you get a lipped wear ring so you can setup you clearance better and not the SS flat. I dont think rex sells it unless you ask as with CP performance and eddie marine. If your running in sandy area's dont run the ultimate wear ring as it doesnt like sand and it eats em up slowly, i learned the hard way. Ask around on it and you'll get the same opinion. Stick with the brass lipped and you'll be fine.
CHET
Chet the man asked a question and I responded to it.
You have to be the most miserable person on this planet. Nothing and no one is good enough for Chet. Everything from everybody is too much money, baggin on every thread you post in for people spending too much money, cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. I never see a "hey that's cool man" outta you, never. If WalMart had a marine dept I'm sure you'd be down there tellin em everything was too much, I saw that at the swap meet cheaper.
AM1 don't worry about startin trouble. Any thread that has Chet's name included is synonomous with an argument and usually involves too much money this, too much money that. I normally don't even post when I see his name because I find arguing with idiots a waste of time, but this one since you asked a question about our kits before his name appeared I replyed.
And Chet when removed properly with the proper tool "not a hack saw" an impeller nut is "not always" necessary on a rebuild, hence we don't include (and charge for). But God forbid anyone having to spend 10-15 bucks for a friggin nut. You crack me up. Have a great day Chet counting all that money you've saved on the towel racks.

1HOTGMCJET
04-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Chet the man asked a question and I responded to it.
You have to be the most miserable person on this planet. Nothing and no one is good enough for Chet. Everything from everybody is too much money, baggin on every thread you post in for people spending too much money, cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. I never see a "hey that's cool man" outta you, never. If WalMart had a marine dept I'm sure you'd be down there tellin em everything was too much, I saw that at the swap meet cheaper.
AM1 don't worry about startin trouble. Any thread that has Chet's name included is synonomous with an argument and usually involves too much money this, too much money that. I normally don't even post when I see his name because I find arguing with idiots a waste of time, but this one since you asked a question about our kits before his name appeared I replyed.
And Chet when removed properly with the proper tool "not a hack saw" an impeller nut is "not always" necessary on a rebuild, hence we don't include (and charge for). But God forbid anyone having to spend 10-15 bucks for a friggin nut. You crack me up. Have a great day Chet counting all that money you've saved on the towel racks.
Couldn't agree more, nor have said it better myself, Mike - by the way, got the "mini-catalog", if it's any indicator of what the full version is gonna be like, it'll be very much worth the wait - thanks for taking your time to reply and help people out on here - you, Duane, Jack and all the other REAL pros on here are a credit to both your businesses and our hobby/sport - Thanks again to all of you!:)

CARLSON-JET
04-25-2004, 09:37 AM
:confused: I am gps at 59.8mph with five people in the boat I believe the impeller is a Bcut should I stay with this or could I get better results with something else? Thanks for any input. A SMALL thing that got lost in the first question is that if you started with say an "A" cut impellor it could very easily and inexpensively be cut down . possibly even free.. ask the pro's when you call them . R.B.

AmericanThunder1
04-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Matt 1 the wear ring was a hard fiberlike material brown in color.

TexasJet
04-25-2004, 06:02 PM
AT1, Duane just finished a major pump rebuild for me. I have only gotten to take the boat out once since he finished. I am very happy with his work and the performance improvements I have experienced so far. Saturday night, in between rain showers, my wife took the boat out by herself. She was only out for a half hour just before dark. When I met her at the launch ramp with the trailer, she was so excited about the way the boat performed and handled she was grinning ear to ear. That kind of response from her was just icing on the cake. I have never had much luck buying the cheapest of anything. I don't know if Duane's prices are cheap or expensive. I wanted quality and performance and I feel I got both. I only had to pay Duane once, but my wife and I will enjoy the benefits of his work for a long time to come. Just my $.02.

Rexone
04-26-2004, 09:06 PM
I normally don't even post when I see his name because I find arguing with idiots a waste of time,
You have a good one too Chet. I'm not even going to respond to your bullshit.

shaun
04-26-2004, 09:09 PM
ChetCapoli, you know for somebody who talks alot of crap on people for 'SPAM' you seem to dish alot of it out your self. Everytime i start a thread about my pump and/or i mention duane you PM me telling me to call up C.B.M. You have PM'd me the same info 4 times now.
Maybe you shouldn't ride people for promoting there own or somebody elses products when you do the exact same thing. Just my opinion.

Jake W
04-26-2004, 09:18 PM
WoW now that is a visual I did not need , Vasoline and some towl racks bolted to a desk with a big leather chair :eek:
Duane what the hell did you come up with now?
Jake :D

Jet Hydro
04-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Jake, I think that one was for Rexone?
Hey chet, your to F$%king Stupid to even be a Tool!
Just what is your real problem ??? Oh hell, Please forget I asked, I don't think Hot Boat has enough room on the server to hold a post that long.
BTW.... Chet you keep bringing up the Straight Snoot, just wanted to let you in on a little something.
On my boat I ran a droop snoot last Monday and the boat went 88.9mph, changed it to the Straight Snoot this weekend at the races and went 92.4 mph in front of God and the hole world! The Snoot was the only change! now whata ya got to say?
How much are you asking for your Boat?
Are you going to fix the screwed up pump before you sale it or are you just going to screw who ever buy`s it?
Post that Picture of your Ware Ring. We want to see it.
Have you kicked a Vending Machine today?:D

Jake W
04-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Yea I know the vasoline coment was for REX.
Duane said he was bring out a new product so I was wondering what it was.Have you guys tried out the snoot on a gullwing hull yet.
You guys know Chet is laughing harder every time you guys get pissed at the stuff he says.ITS A GAME.
Jake:D

schiada96
04-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Is anybody hearing the tribal drums

superdave013
04-26-2004, 10:05 PM
It's off topic but I'm tossing it out anyway.
I buy from Rex BECAUSE Rexone is so active and helpfull on this site. If I owned a jet I'm sure Duane HTP would get lots of my biz for the same reason.
Now if only Rex and Duane would come out with a Home Depot style towel rack they could get some of Chet's cash too! LMAO

HammerDown
04-27-2004, 05:46 AM
Back on topic..or off to the Bench Racers.
Shame to ruin what was a legitimate Topic started by American Thunder1.

Jet Hydro
04-27-2004, 07:13 AM
AmericanThunder1 Call Hi-Tech Performance, Duane will get you what you need.
Parts and info!

AmericanThunder1
04-27-2004, 02:42 PM
yes I think I still have it in the housing. that would be the only part still in I will try to take pic this weekend. I will have to barrow a camera. X stold my last new camera:mad: you know I might just go buy one this weekend:cool: Any way I may just post a pic of the rest of the pump why I am at it.
AT1