PDA

View Full Version : NFL Safety/Army Ranger killed in Afganistan

Brady Bunch
04-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Pat Tillman, NFL Safety for the Arizona Cardinals turned down a $3.5 Million contract to enlist in the Army for $18K a year to become an Army Ranger and fight the Taliban in Afganistan. Sep 11 hit him hard and he felt he had to fight for his country! He was planning on leaving the Army after a 3 year enlistment and return to the NFL! He lost his life yesterday while fighting with the Taliban.
This guy is a true AMERICAN HERO!!!!!!!!!

HCS
04-23-2004, 07:59 AM
He was on a mission.

Up 4 River
04-23-2004, 08:01 AM
I have nothing but respect for Pat Tillman and what he did for his country. He was always one of the players I enjoyed watching and respected from his days at Arizona St to playing with the Cardnials. He was 25 years old in the prime of his life when he decided to join the Army Rangers. I wish more of us had the courage to leave the money and life behind here to go and fight for what we believe in and the good of our country.

summerlove
04-23-2004, 08:01 AM
God Speed Pat Tillman....

Adrenalin
04-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Damn!

Jordy
04-23-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm totally bummed about this. We were at ASU at the same time and he was a really cool guy. Every news channel in the Valley has been talking about this all morning. :( :( :(

superdave013
04-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Brady Bunch
This guy is a true AMERICAN HERO!!!!!!!!!
Yes he is, just like every other American that's over there.

LOWRIVER2
04-23-2004, 08:20 AM
All respect to another hero lost
Prayers to the family

LHC30Victory
04-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Tillman's choice to join the army was Heroic;
His loss is Tragic;
Character like that leaves a vacum;
I only hope his example is not in vain;
Perhaps more of those still in professional sports will take heart and clean up their collective act!

Brady Bunch
04-23-2004, 08:24 AM
The Government and the news are so focused on Iraq while our AMERICAN HEROES are still in Afganistan, where we started this whole war! Our military is still there trying to rebuild that country, at the same time trying to find Osama!
The Government focuses less news attention on Afganistan because they have not found Osama Bin Laden (yet)!
F-ing politics.............

summerlove
04-23-2004, 08:34 AM
where we started this whole war!
I know what you're saying, but remember, we didn't start the war, we were attacked first....

Debbolas
04-23-2004, 08:37 AM
people seem to forget that.............
:(

Brady Bunch
04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Let's not take my words out of context!!!
"Afganistan is where we (America) started the war on terror"
America's war on terror!
9/11 was not the start of the war. That was a terrorist attack on the United States, let's be clear!

OGShocker
04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
people seem to forget that.............
:(
Not this family.
I know what you're saying, but remember, we didn't start the war, we were attacked first....
Thank you for reminding the Brady Bunch SL.

Mrs Luvnlife
04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
:( Another sad day!! God Bless him!!

boxscore
04-23-2004, 09:00 AM
What made that guy the "genuine article" was evidenced by the fact he refused any interviews about his joining the Rangers. He just wanted to serve his country w/o fanfare. When he did that a couple years ago, I was blown away by his patriotism and ethics. He turned down $9 million from the Rams so he could remain loyal to the Cardinals. You just have to feel God touched that boy and had a plan for him. Damn, I feel pretty darn inadequate sometimes when put in context with a pure HERO like Pat Tillman

HCS
04-23-2004, 09:03 AM
It's totally amazing that someone would take themselves out of the comfort zone he was in and put himself in harms way. Totally
devoted to a the cause to keep America a safer place.
Salute.

Havasu Cig
04-23-2004, 09:13 AM
R.I.P.....:(

Havasu Cig
04-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I also read that his brother, who was a minor league prospect with the Oakland A's, joined the Army as a Ranger as well. Pretty amazing people.

FRENCHIE
04-23-2004, 09:15 AM
a also just read the new online and its terrible, but just because he was a pro athlete makes him no more important than the other thousands currently serving to make our lives better and fight for our freedom! But it is trajic none the less!:D

MsDrmr
04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
the thread "Have you guys seen this" is the same topic, there are a couple of stories there too, very good reading, check em out

boxscore
04-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
a also just read the new online and its terrible, but just because he was a pro athlete makes him no more important than the other thousands currently serving to make our lives better and fight for our freedom! But it is trajic none the less!:D
Yep... They are all so important. Whatever we do, let's NOT vote to fund their efforts to protect our hides. Whoever doesn't support those boys and girls needs migrate on over to France and stay for a while, eeerrrrrrrrr, the rest of their lives.

OGShocker
04-23-2004, 09:35 AM
More here. (http://www.ranger25.com/Pat%20Tillman.htm)

totenhosen
04-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Tillman along with all the others that sin up knowing they are going to see action have major brass balls and deserve all the respect in the word for having a conviction and seeing it through to the end. R.I.P.

Tremor Therapy
04-23-2004, 10:02 AM
He is the definition of a true hero. We didn't start this war, but some day we will end it. I just feel at a loss because so many quality people like him will be killed while protecting our freedom.
God speed Mr. Tillman, rest in peace.....you deserve it!

HavasuDreamin'
04-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Just read the story over at www.espn.go.com :( :(
Makes you put things in perspective real quick.
God Speed!
R.I.P.

Dr. Eagle
04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
It;s on foxnews.com too......
Sorry to hear about that... a real brave American Hero whose selfless sense of duty cost him the ultimate price.....
The Taliban and Al Quaida must be ultimately exterminated.........:mad:

Kurtis500
04-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Let's not take my words out of context!!!
"Afganistan is where we (America) started the war on terror"
America's war on terror!
9/11 was not the start of the war. That was a terrorist attack on the United States, let's be clear!
hmmm...... If you consider the 'start' with Afghanistan then you would not consider 9/11 in the history of the 'war on terror'.
So, did World War II start for us with the attack on Pearl Harbor, or after the declaration of war, or after the first battle?

Dr. Eagle
04-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Kurtis500
hmmm...... If you consider the 'start' with Afghanistan then you would not consider 9/11 in the history of the 'war on terror'.
So, did World War II start for us with the attack on Pearl Harbor, or after the declaration of war, or after the first battle?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I guess using his definition, it would have started at Midway? With the Doolittle raid? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
that's a very strange way of looking at the world, wouldn't you agree Kurtis??

Ducatista
04-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
It;s on foxnews.com too......
Sorry to hear about that... a real brave American Hero whose selfless sense of duty cost him the ultimate price.....
The Taliban and Al Quaida must be ultimately exterminated.........:mad:
I agree....& don't forget the Hamas (sp?)....radical extremist muslims are a world wide plague, and need to be wiped out completely. For a 1000 years they have brought the world nothing...squat! No science, art, not a single darn thing. Then they wrap themselves in a cloak of God(Allah) to justify killing anyone who doesn't conform to their beliefs. At least Hitler didn't wrap himself with God to justify his murder. The world will soon find out that it must declare war on these radicals and exterminate them to extinction.:mad:

Kurtis500
04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I guess using his definition, it would have started at Midway? With the Doolittle raid? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
that's a very strange way of looking at the world, wouldn't you agree Kurtis??
I agree, with that reasoning, 9/11 is not a part of the war on terror and Pearl Harbor is not a part of the second world war. Maybe he thought it differently than he wrote it?

Kurtis500
04-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Looks like he doesn't want to step up and clarify this one for us????

Debbolas
04-25-2004, 08:16 AM
I agree, with that reasoning, 9/11 is not a part of the war on terror and Pearl Harbor is not a part of the second world war. Maybe he thought it differently than he wrote it?
How can you think that Pearl Harbor wasn't part of the second world war? Perhaps I misunderstand you, but that was the catalyst that propelled us into the second world war.
cause and effect.

Kurtis500
04-25-2004, 09:23 AM
How can you think that Pearl Harbor wasn't part of the second world war? Perhaps I misunderstand you, but that was the catalyst that propelled us into the second world war.
cause and effect.
Read back a ways, you'll see what I was talking about.

Debbolas
04-25-2004, 09:25 AM
this is what I posted from.......
what am I missing?

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Ducatista
I agree....& don't forget the Hamas (sp?)....radical extremist muslims are a world wide plague, and need to be wiped out completely. For a 1000 years they have brought the world nothing...squat! No science, art, not a single darn thing. Then they wrap themselves in a cloak of God(Allah) to justify killing anyone who doesn't conform to their beliefs. At least Hitler didn't wrap himself with God to justify his murder. The world will soon find out that it must declare war on these radicals and exterminate them to extinction.:mad:
Totally agree........

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 09:32 AM
cause and effect.
It was the event that started WWII from the US's perspective. It was part and parcel with the entire series of events that followed.

Debbolas
04-25-2004, 09:34 AM
ok got it,
you talking world wide starting the war
not just the US's part?
;)