PDA

View Full Version : ceramic coated header question

atxwrangler
03-31-2006, 09:19 PM
will they last longer if i run them dry, or run them wet???thanx!!

atxwrangler
03-31-2006, 11:14 PM
bump

beerjet
03-31-2006, 11:48 PM
I was gonna do my headers and the powder coat guy I am using say's he coats the inside and of coarse the outside so I really dont think it matters if you run them wet or dry. The only thing that I can gather is that anything is better than chrome . My understanding is that when they are coated they will run a little cooler dry . I cant imagine it will matter how much cooler at those temps.
-beerjet-

atxwrangler
04-01-2006, 10:16 AM
thanx, beerjet

HBjet
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
You run them wet, the ceramic shine will hold up longer, you run them dry, they get dull looking, but still hold up....
HBjet

Aluminum Squirt
04-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I run my coated headers dry full time. They have dulled a little for the first few inches of pipe closest to the head........the same spot that chromes ones turn blue. Maybe I got a crappy ceramic coating, or maybe I'm a little on the lean side. They do stay cooler than my chrome ones did w/no water and the rest of the coating has held up great. They seem to cool off very fast, a few minutes after shut down you can lay a hand accross them-Aluminum Squirt

atxwrangler
04-01-2006, 07:05 PM
I run my coated headers dry full time. They have dulled a little for the first few inches of pipe closest to the head........the same spot that chromes ones turn blue. Maybe I got a crappy ceramic coating, or maybe I'm a little on the lean side. They do stay cooler than my chrome ones did w/no water and the rest of the coating has held up great. They seem to cool off very fast, a few minutes after shut down you can lay a hand accross them-Aluminum Squirt
I WOULD LIKE TO RUN THEM DRY IF POSSIBLE,I DON'T CARE IF IT DULLS CLOSE TO THE MOTOR.AS LONG AS MOST OF THE HEADER HAS A SLIGHT SHINE TO IT.HOW LONG HAVE YOU RAN YOURS THAT WAY?

wsuwrhr
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I have the same.
Brian

RCB19
04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I know a few guys that have had the first 6" or so of the primary tubes (inside) coated with copper and it stops the dulling effect. These dudes run em dry most of the time and their headers still look good.

Cs19
04-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Ive been working with the guys at embee on different coatings, he copper coated the insides of mine this last go round and it definatly held up better.Boat headers take more of a beating than anything, Ive had to re-coat mine every season.
I highly reccomend embee for header coating, they are good over there and have all sorts of options.
CS

moneysucker
04-03-2006, 07:33 AM
I have Jet Hot on mine out of phoenix and ran them dry and they look like gray primer color except the last 10 inches, My brother had Basset make him a set with no chrome just to have jet hot done on them and his has had to be re done once and is flaking off. My next set is going back to chrome wet, nothing looks as good. My lexan splash guard also hs warped pretty bad from running dry so I am having an aluminum splash guard built now. Just my $.02
Cy

CMZRACING
04-03-2006, 07:59 AM
had mine jet hot, only had boat out once, the first couple inches is starting to dull a little, i run mine dry. jet says if it chips or flakes or shows any sign of rust, they will recoat for free for the life of the header. so not a bad deal if you ask me, just about a week down time to have them sent out.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/cmzracing/112-1215_IMG.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/cmzracing/112-1216_IMG.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/cmzracing/112-1214_IMG.jpg

b's sanger
04-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Ive been working with the guys at embee on different coatings, he copper coated the insides of mine this last go round and it definatly held up better.Boat headers take more of a beating than anything, Ive had to re-coat mine every season.
I highly reccomend embee for header coating, they are good over there and have all sorts of options.
CS
I also went to Embee. wouldnt own another set without the coating.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/285520050924_0004.JPG

atxwrangler
04-03-2006, 10:32 AM
thanx guys,i appreciate all your input.i'm really confused! :rolleyes:

460 jus getn it
04-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I know a few guys that have had the first 6" or so of the primary tubes (inside) coated with copper and it stops the dulling effect. These dudes run em dry most of the time and their headers still look good.
true, i have mine coated and the first 6 inches or so are dulled. i run water to them and they are holding up fine. i have only had to polish them once in a year. i had mine done at jet hot here in tempe, az.

CMZRACING
04-03-2006, 10:51 AM
well if it helps any, i paid $325 to get both headers and collector mufflers done at jet hot. dont know how much the others charge, but that is what made up my mind. jet hot does coat inside and out. good luck post some pics when you get em done.

460 jus getn it
04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
well if it helps any, i paid $325 to get both headers and collector mufflers done at jet hot. dont know how much the others charge, but that is what made up my mind. jet hot does coat inside and out. good luck post some pics when you get em done.
yep, i paid 300 and i wouldnt have it any other way. i also have my intake done as well.