PDA

View Full Version : anyone else running HEI on there jet?

wet77
04-23-2004, 06:35 PM
I was thinking of installing a Mallory HEI ingnition on my jet boat, its an open motor application.
Anyone else run one before:confused:

MudPumper
04-24-2004, 01:48 PM
MSD only way to go!!!!

wet77
04-24-2004, 03:15 PM
MSD HEI:confused: :confused: :confused:

1Bahnerjet
04-24-2004, 03:48 PM
anyone else running HEI on there jet?
yes...

TRG
04-24-2004, 04:59 PM
i went from mallory to hei during the first year that my boat was together, i noticed the hei fired the motor mush easier and made the throttle responce quicker!
all i know is what worked better for my appl! wether it was because of the ignition change, or some other variable...i liked the hei better!
now i will have MSD with the new motor ! im curious to see how much of a difference the boat will handle with new power!
im pulling for the middle of june! (fingers X'ed) lol

wet77
04-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Sounds good on the + feedback:D

berk
04-24-2004, 06:11 PM
got HEI on my sbc. someone told me its better than MSD but i dont know. HEI seems to work flawlessly though! cleaner install too.

TRG
04-24-2004, 06:20 PM
from what i was told...you dont want to use hei if you plan to rev higher that 6K rpm but what the hell do i know!
that is why i pay someone to build my motors! (yes thats right...isaid "PAY") lol
todd

Bow Tie Omega
04-24-2004, 09:11 PM
My little brother had a stock HEI on his 454. He had the same typical problems you hear about, started missing after running for about 15 minutes at rpm's above about 4000 rpm, it would idle like crap also. He purchased the Performance Distributors 50,000 volt coil and internals for the distributor. The motor ran perfectly after that, no miss, more rpm and a perfect idle after running an hour plus without a break, with improved acceleration. He made a believer out of me with the HEI, there was no down side to it with the kit. Granted, this was a basically stock 454.

BigBoyToys
04-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I have ran a Flamethrower HEI on a BBC in the past, and it was OK. But, I've noticed an increase in power going to the complete MSD system. Little bit harder starting with the MSD over the HEI, but I just got a bigger battery:D ;)

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
04-25-2004, 06:39 AM
MY GM H E I WORKS GREAT. IF YOU NEED A MORE ACCURATE SPARK ABOVE 6K RPM, REPLACE THE INTERNAL COIL/SPARK MODULE/GRAPHITE(?)ROTOR TIP FROM MSD.
THE PROBLEM WITH HEI IS TECHNICALLY IT ISN'T A MARINE DISTRIBUTOR, NO USCG STICKER!??
WELL HOPEFULLY I DON'T GET STOPPED BY A GEAR-HEAD COAST GUARD PERSON!...BILL.
PS- I GUESS IF YOU GO TO RUN A BLOWER OR WILD INTAKE THE HEI MAY NOT FIT.

RedRocket
04-25-2004, 01:42 PM
get an msd module a good coil and the hei is good for 9000rpm. stock hei loses power drastically above 4000 rpm.

wet77
04-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Just talked to a guy who does truck pulls and he tried different HEI distributers on a BBC for there trucks and on a dyno the HEI with all the upgrades failed at 6200 rpm:confused:
Not good news, he then said they tried a msd setup with the multi-spark box and all the toys it reached 7500 rpm no problem:confused:
No considering I am running a A impeller I might never see 6000 RPM, right
:confused:
But if I run nitrous soon the msd would be better because I can hook up all those extra's like a rev limiter and a timing retarding device for the nos:confused:
I just do not want to spend the money on something I will need to switch out the next year when I want to make some horsepower upgrades:D
any advice:)

RedRocket
04-25-2004, 11:02 PM
I saw a test in a car mag on the msd module, on thier dist. testing unit, spark power did not drop off all the way to 9000 ( as high as the tester would go) and the stock module dropped like a rock at 4500.