PDA

View Full Version : US Coast Guard killed AZ HB Poker Run

burtandnancy
04-24-2004, 03:16 PM
First, let me say I am a big fan of the U.S. Coast Guard, they do more that a lot of good. They are a great organization and I don't regret a single tax dollar spent on this agency. But the young individual who screwed up today's (4-24-4) Arizona Hot Boat Poker Run could have caused more harm, more accidents, more danger, than if he hadn't been there at all. Arizona Hot Boat had a great meet going, unbelievable boats, super people, they were well organized, put on a super party and everyone was well behaved and professional. Most of these Poker Runners had done it all before, many times, and the new entrants had two meeting to be sure they got it right. Safety is always a concern, and no, Lake Havasu can't be closed down for such an event. But to have this Poker Run cut down to 20 to 30 minutes for the leaders, and have them returning to the starting area while other heats were still starting was ridiculous! It was bad enough to hold the start for 10 minutes, but to parade them down past Copper Canyon and pinch them off where it narrowed is stupid.
I feel bad for the owners who brought boats from as far away as the east coast; Outer Limits was represented, Cigarette, Baja, and many dealers and owners from the mid west and west coast. A Poker Run for just a few quick miles isn't that much fun.
The good news: the weather was perfect, a breeze keep the channel clean and clear (for breathing)
Talked to a few officers (who shall remain nameless) of the Arizona Hot Boat Assn, and they said this was the last Desert Heat Poker Run. Too Bad. They worked hard and always put on a first class event. I hate to see it go because of the ineptness of one individual government official...

Kilrtoy
04-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Ok, So why was it shut down.....:confused:

burtandnancy
04-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Not shut down, just shortened from start to finish to make it a not very good Poker Run. I think the young CG's man didn't know who he was dealing with (treated these experienced boaters like children) and in MY opinion only, screwed up what should have been an excellent event...

Kilrtoy
04-24-2004, 05:28 PM
young CG's man
need a better explaination, i think i understand but story is inconclusive

Jbb
04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Is the fall Heatwave going to be run the same way?

cc322
04-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Im confused:confused:

DickDanger
04-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
I think the young CG's man didn't know who he was dealing with (treated these experienced boaters like children)
From what I have seen on Havasu, most boaters there SHOULD be treated like children.
Sorry that your event was cut short though. -DD Out

Craig
04-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Yeah it's too bad. I spoke with Jim and C2 last week and it seemed like they were being given all kinds of crazy restrictions on the run. They really dealt with a lot of hassle which is a pain given this whole poker run deal isn't what's paying their house payment :( They have to work real jobs as well. I think this was the last AHBA poker run, spring or fall. Mind you, that was AHBA ;) I'd love to attend one of these if they weren't always in April or October :mad:

burtandnancy
04-25-2004, 06:29 AM
Kiltroy, cc322, it appeared that the CG guy (who was out of San Diego) took charge of the running, course, stops, nearly everything. Lets wait for the people who put this on to respond, I was merely an observer. They should come on by tonight or Monday.
One of the craziest things this CG guy did was keep them in groups of 25 for a long, long, rolling start. There were between 160 and 170 entrants. Sure, start the fast boats up front, but why hold the major group until the leaders are already back to the start line? Finally, I don't know where the cards were picked up or how many...

Mandelon
04-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Not possible to move to Mohave or Mead? Obviously Havasu is the most fun, but it would be sad to lose the event altogether. :(

Debbolas
04-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
Kiltroy, cc322, it appeared that the CG guy (who was out of San Diego) took charge of the running, course, stops, nearly everything. Lets wait for the people who put this on to respond, I was merely an observer. They should come on by tonight or Monday.
One of the craziest things this CG guy did was keep them in groups of 25 for a long, long, rolling start. There were between 160 and 170 entrants. Sure, start the fast boats up front, but why hold the major group until the leaders are already back to the start line? Finally, I don't know where the cards were picked up or how many...
I know nothing about poker runs, and have never been in one, but I always imagined it was an "all day" kind of thing.
How long was the course?
I still would like to participate in one someday, maybe a small one.....:)

burtandnancy
04-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Debbolas, (hi neighbor), yes a good poker run should take up at least a day (I've been on them where they take 2 days. Here on the west coast, various groups put on pretty good events, especially SCOPE, who runs the coast and out to Catalina. Of course the ultimate Poker Run is Halletts, but is obviously brand specific (270 Halletts last time). Great social events, try one sometime, they can be real fun...

Debbolas
04-25-2004, 09:16 AM
hello neighbor,
Yeah, unfortunatly our summer schedule does not hook up with any poker runs. But I would really love to be in one. I thought of them as an all day thing, the bigger boats going first, and a long course, like from AVI to the Sandbar to Copper Canyon, to this side of the Parker Dam. What a run that would be....
(I am lobbying Kachina to have one, or a regatta, but they are kinda busy right now, understandably)
:D

carbonmarine
04-26-2004, 10:42 AM
lets here some more form the guys that went....

Chris Winn
04-26-2004, 11:06 AM
it was a difficult run to understand,
1st off- the more powerfull boats were sent off 1st and were on their way back to the start line as the next group was ready to go.
2nd- they broke up the groups into 25 at a time, it was tough to have the same speeds and power in these groups controlled. i was placed into the 4th group (i only run 65+) (for now) and they (were forced) to run groups thta were wildly spaced in regards to speed in this group (i traded with deano from unleashed for his 7th group spot)
3rd- even after trading for that 7th group, there were people in that group who were way out of this class for this our group (there were some people passing in areas that were not to others comfort).
Jim and Art did a great job, but i could see where they wan to give it up with all of the problems.

unleashed
04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Like I said in an earlier post this is a very hard event to put on and lot of work goes into it so Kudos to Art and company for a first class event. What changed this year from the previous runs is only 25 boats were able to go at a time hence leaving some of the big boys to have to run in groups 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Breaking them up into so many groups did lead to some dangerous running as you have the later groups heading to springs as the earlier groups are coming back(Pretty dangerous if you ask me). Fortunatly nothing tragic happened and that lead to a very successful event. Anyhow its become such a pain in regards to CG, Law enforcement etc. that the event will not take place anymore and its a real shame.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Ziggy
04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I didn't really see what went on but it seemed to me that it got broken up. I didn't really see much of anyones run...mostly just isolated boats running up/down the lake at speeds.
Hey Deano!
That was me who gave way to you late afternoon in the channal so you could get turned around.....sweet ride you got.

unleashed
04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey Ziggy, Thanks alot for that. My wife was driving the boat and I told her to park it but she passed the spot and she didnt know how to turn around. When I was turning in front of you one of my motors cutoff thats why it took a few seconds but thank god it was someone understanding that I turned in front of thanks for that.
Deano

P P R
04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
This was the first Heat wave that i attended. I will say Arizona Hot Boat club did a great job. I was very impresed with the quality of boats and people they where able to gather. It must have been just as disappointing to the organiztion. After all of the hard work they put into . Tim (THE PORTLAND PORKER RUN)

Ziggy
04-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
Hey Ziggy, Thanks alot for that. My wife was driving the boat and I told her to park it but she passed the spot and she didnt know how to turn around. When I was turning in front of you one of my motors cutoff thats why it took a few seconds but thank god it was someone understanding that I turned in front of thanks for that.
Deano
No problemo--no rush when it comes to preserving gel coats :D Seemed like a pretty tight spot you beached at..

jackpunx
04-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Is the fall Heatwave going to be run the same way?
There will be no fall heatwave:confused:

RiverToysJas
04-26-2004, 03:30 PM
I have heard some "inside info" on this subject, a few weeks ago. I can't share everything here, unfortunately, because I believe it was told to me in confidence. I'll tell you this though, the CG didn't act alone or unprompted. They were pushed into these new guildlines and proceedures by a prominate group in the performance boating community. The plan of that group backfired, and current situation is the direct result. I'm only saying this because it sounds like the CG is getting the full blame here.
RTJas

jackpunx
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Well.. where you going to post the rest?

Rexone
04-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Jas just reading between the lines here I see that the ***boat Poker Run is removed from the schedule. Wasn't that suppose to be a couple weeks away or is it me that's confused. I actually don't follow this too close as far as who's running what which weekend but I coulda swore I saw a Havasu event on the schedule last week. :confused:

RiverToysJas
04-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Jas just reading between the lines here I see that the ***boat Poker Run is removed from the schedule. Wasn't that suppose to be a couple weeks away or is it me that's confused. I actually don't follow this too close as far as who's running what which weekend but I coulda swore I saw a Havasu event on the schedule last week. :confused:
Hot Boat's Poker Run was last weekend.
From what I understand, there are more changes on the board for Regatta's and Poker Runs. Including but not limited to, only issueing permits for those type of events during the week!!!
There are people who post here that know more and better information than me, about these things. They also know these things first hand, which I do not. So, if they choose to share, we'll all know more, if they can't for whatever reason, we'll have to find out over time, or on other message boards.
RTJas

dkreuzen
04-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
I have heard some "inside info" on this subject, a few weeks ago. I can't share everything here, unfortunately, because I believe it was told to me in confidence. I'll tell you this though, the CG didn't act alone or unprompted. They were pushed into these new guildlines and proceedures by a prominate group in the performance boating community. The plan of that group backfired, and current situation is the direct result. I'm only saying this because it sounds like the CG is getting the full blame here.
RTJas
RiverToysJas is absolutely correct; many other forces were working to kill this event. Add the Mojave county Sheriff dept. and the AZ Game and Fish dept. to the CG.
After all these years without any problems why is all this happening now?
In my opinion, somebody or some organization out there is really jealous of what a group of amateurs were able to do again and again.
I know Art, Jim, and the rest of the team deserve to enjoy their boating and I look forward to seeing them on the water once again.
Dennis

cigarette1
04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
I'll bet that azzhole who runs the marina had something to do with it.
Focker
:rolleyes:

cigarette1
04-26-2004, 05:16 PM
And there was a time when they would raise the water level for the Poker Run weekend. I'll bet they kept it low to **** with the "Larger/Louder" boats.
I wonder if that azzhole who runs the marina had something to do with that.
Focker

Havasu Cig
04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Speaking of the Marina, did anybody notice any "large" boats launching out of there?
I was unable to make it out, but was interested to see who was allowed to launch.

cigarette1
04-26-2004, 05:19 PM
I know I had major prop and drive damage due to that azzhole who runs the marina by making me launch at Windsor in the wind, Easter weekend.
Focker

Havasu Cig
04-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Gary, I damaged a prop at windsor last year due to the wind and low water level. Pissed me off when I was writing the check to have it fixed.

cigarette1
04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
As of now, I think that azzhole who runs the marina has won .... I'll never take MY boat back to Lake Havasu City if I can't launch in the marina and neither will I take my money.
:mad:

HighRoller
04-26-2004, 05:36 PM
I know I had major prop and drive damage due to that azzhole who runs the marina by making me launch at Windsor in the wind, Easter weekend
Never fails to crack me up. People bring ocean yachts to a lake and blame someone else for their damage. Get a smaller boat and you won't have any problems. It's a lake, not an ocean.

cigarette1
04-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Never fails to crack me up. People bring ocean yachts to a lake and blame someone else for their damage. Get a smaller boat and you won't have any problems. It's a lake, not an ocean.
Don't be an idiot

Havasu Hangin'
04-26-2004, 05:45 PM
I know you're gonna find this hard to believe...but I've hit that rockbed with my 23' "ocean yacht"...
Originally posted by cigarette1
Don't be an idiot
Too late.

C-2
04-26-2004, 05:50 PM
As announced, the poker runs in their current format are over. The reasons behind ending the runs are many, including being just plain ole’ tired from doing them. There are also several organizations out there lobbying behind our backs to close the runs down – a fact we confirmed this weekend after reviewing the Coast Guard’s three inch thick file on us. Contained in the file are numerous letters in opposition to the runs and each of the letters containing numerous mistruths and other inaccuracies. If it wasn’t for the fact that several of these letters and protest came from public agencies, they would be construed as materially libelous. But it’s hard to pursue libelous statements against public agencies, and they know that.
So as Chief Doug Samp from the Coast Guard said – it was only the letters and other information he collected about us that allowed him to form his opinion and thoughts about us and our events. He came to the run admittedly nervous, but left with a totally different perception of us, the run and its participants.
Personally, I found Chief Samp to be a stand up guy. He is Havasu born and raised, so he knows everything there is to know about the lake, as opposed to some other Chief from Florida or New York for example. He has also done his homework on us. Other law enforcement agencies did their homework too, if not conducted downright investigations.
The new operating guidelines that were implemented as a result of the Coast Guard’s requirements worked as well as they could for the first time implementing them. Chief Samp agreed not every new item implemented was favorable, but then again it was the first time for the new rules and in retrospect there is always room for improvement.
As Chief Samp explained, he is caught in the middle. He has to look out for the safety of and consider the recreational opportunities of the general public, and then consider our event as well. So he’s got a tough job to do. He also has the ultimate authority to close down the lake (or any event) at a moments notice, irrespective of state or local law enforcement agencies jurisdictions.
So this past weekend Chief Samp was glad he witnessed the event first-hand and was pleased to receive input from the participants directly. He now has a better understanding of what performance boaters are about, and that alone, will help the entire boating community by leaps and bounds.
I guess I’m saying it isn’t fair to say the Coast guard killed the event, but rather it is a series of different issues. Being over regulated or regulated out of existence was also a major concern. These are my opinions only as one of the four organizers of the event.
They sure were fun though!
:)

C-2
04-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Hanging out with the infamous Burt was also cool!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dusty Times
04-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Never fails someone always has to stickup for the assholes trying to take a sport away that involves all of us.
We have to stick together if we want our sport to survive.

Havasu Cig
04-26-2004, 06:04 PM
The lake is plenty big enough to accomodate Gary's boat, as well as our's. The Marina is supposed to be providing a service to the City as a part of their lease. Due to the good ol boy network in Havasu they can do whatever the f@#$ they want.
I still don't understand people that make comments like this. Jelousy is the only thing I can think of when I hear stuff like this. The bigger boats are not doing any harm to you or anybody else on the lake, so that is the only reason I can think of.
I am getting closer to buying a pontoon boat and just keeping the Cig here in So.Cal. That way I don't have to worry about it. If I buy a 30' pontoon boat would you consider that to big as well???:rolleyes:

burtandnancy
04-26-2004, 07:10 PM
C-2, Thanks for posting the details for all of us to think about and consider. After my initial post, I wish I hadn't used the word "kill" it was too harsh, but to late to take back. A more appropriate word would have been spoiled. Anyway, your association should be proud of the events you put on, they were great and if anyone else picks up the challenge, you've set a high mark to shoot for.
Again, I have the highest respect for the Coast Guard. It just didn't work right this time...
Hope to see you at a Poker Run at Lake Mead sometime...

C-2
04-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by dkreuzen
In my opinion, somebody or some organization out there is really jealous of what a group of amateurs were able to do again and again.
Dennis
That too!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

robert_pv
04-26-2004, 08:06 PM
One would think the Coast Guard's concerns are regarding safety for all that use the lake. Hopefully they are gaining wisdom through knowledge about boating poker runs and will be able to help make this event better and safer then ever before. I would imagine the Coast Guard will create a fee or tax so they too will profit from the event.

LakeRacer
04-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
Speaking of the Marina, did anybody notice any "large" boats launching out of there?
I was unable to make it out, but was interested to see who was allowed to launch.
As far as I know the marina was not allowing anything over 30 feet. It's even posted on their website. Everyone was asking us where to launch. Add to that, Windsor was shut down from 6am to 10am Saturday morning for the collegiate triathlon event. I'm not sure how everyone got in the water...especially the big boys. But I didn't hear about anyone not being able to make it. There were some late comers who got in on the 7th start.

C-2
04-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well C-2, you know I had to ask... Who's the pricks writing the letters? And causing "investigations" etc.. In your last post you quoted jealousy from another group? I'd be REAL interested in knowing which group played a hand in that dealio so I could personally tell them to go **** themselves.. :mad:
RD
Kind of a dead issue at this point...but I viewed letters or reports from the following;
AZ Game & Fish Dept <----MAJOR problems with us
LA Paz County Sheriff <---I was very disappointed to see this
Mohave County Sheriff
San Bernardino County Sheriff
Lake Havasu Yacht Club <---hmmm...and all these marina issues?
A couple or several fishing clubs
Several citizens/groups
Regarding the jealousy issue; we've never been able to figure it out, but you need not search very far.

C-2
04-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Damn, Perry Mason would be proud!
PM me your email address, I wanna send you something.

Havasu Cig
04-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by C-2
Kind of a dead issue at this point...but I viewed letters or reports from the following;
AZ Game & Fish Dept <----MAJOR problems with us
LA Paz County Sheriff <---I was very disappointed to see this
Mohave County Sheriff
Lake Havasu Yacht Club <---hmmm...and all these marina issues?
A couple or several fishing clubs
Several citizens/groups
Regarding the jealousy issue; we've never been able to figure it out, but you need not search very far.
"Lake Havasu Yacht Club" that is some funny $hit...I have not seen many "Yachts" on the lake lately.:rolleyes:

Tom Slick
04-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by LakeRacer
As far as I know the marina was not allowing anything over 30 feet. It's even posted on their website. Everyone was asking us where to launch. Add to that, Windsor was shut down from 6am to 10am Saturday morning for the collegiate triathlon event. I'm not sure how everyone got in the water...especially the big boys. But I didn't hear about anyone not being able to make it. There were some late comers who got in on the 7th start.
Actually Windsor was open Sat. AM, you just had to be patient and figure out how to get in there. The only way in was on London Bridge Rd. coming from the South.
That Triathlon was the most rediculous deal ever. Here you have a town that is hosting a major poker run, and housing tons of Harley riders that were there for the Laughlin bike rally and some jackass decides that it is a great idea to hold a triathlon in the middle of town. It took us 20 minutes to get off the island, another 15 minutes to cross Industrial Blvd. on the highway, and another 20 minutes to get past all of the other stupid detours. I could not believe that the organizers of the triathlon were stupid enough to run the bicycle portion of the race up and down Industrial Blvd., which is the main road into Windsor launch ramp. Not only did it run up and down Industrial, but it also crossed the highway, causing delays, and crossed the bridge. Talk about stupid.:mad:

jackpunx
04-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
"Lake Havasu Yacht Club" that is some funny $hit...I have not seen many "Yachts" on the lake lately.:rolleyes:
Yacht club?.. I wonder if any of those so called "Yachts" are over 30' and where do they launch them?

havaduner
04-27-2004, 02:57 PM
C-2, you say several law enforcement agencies had issues. Were they safety issues?
Everyone says the organizers have safety at the forefront of the participants, with everyone in groups by speed (which I do agree with) but what about the idiots (lake lice etc...) that arent participating, and get overtaken on the lake by a large pack of 100+mph boats?
I am as guilty as everyone else, wanting to get to each stop as quickly as possible, but in a poker run, finishing first doesnt really mean much does it?

SCOPE
04-27-2004, 03:25 PM
The SCOPE gang had a great time at another great poker run!!! Most of us launched on Thursday or Friday and stayed in the water. I don't think anybody launched at the Havasu Marina, but launched at Winsor and at Site 6.
The Site 6 location is tricky only due to the possiblity of dragging the trailer on the ramp, or that you go to deep and hit a fender. Many lanuched from there without issue.
It's too bad that the HeatWave Poker Runs are going away. Our group really enjoyed coming out for these two events each year.

carbonmarine
04-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Who really cares what you Assholes at SCOPE have to say ??
So. Keep your Ryan Secrest lov'in, Cute poodle name calling & metrosexual inuendo's at the dry slip in Newport Beach where they belong .....
Rick32:cool:

SCOPE
04-27-2004, 03:28 PM
One more point.....the staggered starts of 25 were much safer than the three starts they used to use. If you've never been running, you have no idea what those starts were like, or what could have happened. We can give thanks that nothing ever did happen.
:p

SCOPE
04-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by carbonmarine
Who really cares what you Assholes at SCOPE have to say ??
Rick32:cool:
Ah Ricky.......down boy! :D :D :D Why did you leave so early?

SCOPE
04-27-2004, 03:38 PM
RD~
Who....Rick? I doubt it!!!

SCOPE
04-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
No You... Some SCOPE guys kinda went sideways on a dude who's boat came untied.. LOL No big deal though. I was just busting your balls a lil. ;) I think the SCOPE guy said he was el presidente of the club? Could be wrong on that.. Had a big ass Sea Ray or something?
RD
Rick is a SCOPE guy! :D :D Bummer.....but if a boat comes untied and floats towards anyone's boat, I'm sure they aren't going to be happy about it! How hard is it to tie a line properly?
I'm not sure what kind of boat it was, but late Saturday we saw a guy trying to start his Cat (inboard) floating down the current on the inside.....both sponsons hit the cliff. It was sickening to see. :frown: :frown: :frown:

carbonmarine
04-27-2004, 04:05 PM
No. I am president of Scoop...... Not Scope.
Rick32
:cool:

Kachina26
04-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
Actually Windsor was open Sat. AM, you just had to be patient and figure out how to get in there. The only way in was on London Bridge Rd. coming from the South.
That Triathlon was the most rediculous deal ever. Here you have a town that is hosting a major poker run, and housing tons of Harley riders that were there for the Laughlin bike rally and some jackass decides that it is a great idea to hold a triathlon in the middle of town. It took us 20 minutes to get off the island, another 15 minutes to cross Industrial Blvd. on the highway, and another 20 minutes to get past all of the other stupid detours. I could not believe that the organizers of the triathlon were stupid enough to run the bicycle portion of the race up and down Industrial Blvd., which is the main road into Windsor launch ramp. Not only did it run up and down Industrial, but it also crossed the highway, causing delays, and crossed the bridge. Talk about stupid.:mad:
Well that makes me feel better about getting up at 4:30 to get my boat out of Campbell boat's storage and then going over to Windsor to finish sleeping. I felt kinda dumb when I saw people were getting in at 7am. Now that I hear it was a hassle, I feel better:D

RiverToysJas
04-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SCOPE
I'm not sure what kind of boat it was, but late Saturday we saw a guy trying to start his Cat (inboard) floating down the current on the inside.....both sponsons hit the cliff. It was sickening to see. :frown: :frown: :frown:
Did he not have an anchor to through out??? :confused:
RTJas

carreraelite
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
RTJas
She may have already been out of the boat!!:eek!: ;) :D

Kachina26
04-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey Glen, it was good to see you out there. Do you and the wife get out to the zoo often?

dkreuzen
04-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
That Triathlon was the most rediculous deal ever. Here you have a town that is hosting a major poker run, and housing tons of Harley riders that were there for the Laughlin bike rally and some jackass decides that it is a great idea to hold a triathlon in the middle of town. It took us 20 minutes to get off the island, another 15 minutes to cross Industrial Blvd. on the highway, and another 20 minutes to get past all of the other stupid detours. I could not believe that the organizers of the triathlon were stupid enough to run the bicycle portion of the race up and down Industrial Blvd., which is the main road into Windsor launch ramp. Not only did it run up and down Industrial, but it also crossed the highway, causing delays, and crossed the bridge. Talk about stupid.:mad: [/B]
Now this is something we all should write a letter to the Mayor/City about. This was way past stupid!
Dennis

Boatcop
04-28-2004, 03:03 PM
La Paz County Sheriff <---I was very disappointed to see this
We did not issue any letters or recommendations in support of or against the Poker Runs on the Lake. I attendted the meeting held a few weeks ago, because there were discussions on ALL Marine Events in the Coast Guard's Area of Operation, including the Parker Strip.
Since the Havasu Poker Runs have little impact on La Paz County Waterways, I didn't join in that discussion, except to let them know that we are, and have been, available to monitor the event near Havasu Springs when requested to. Doug Samp even called me a few months ago to verify the AHBA claim that we've assist on their runs, which I stated we have.
I was kind of surprised that we weren't asked this time.
The issues I have are with the events held on the Strip, and their impact (if any) on the safety of the Recreational Boating Public. And even then, it's oonly for events which actually take place on OUR waters, not the CRIT area by the Casino.
I just wanted to clarify that La Paz County has NO input regarding the Havasu Poker Runs, nor are we even scoped for those events.

dkreuzen
04-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by C-2
I just talked with Mike Fassari from the San Bernardo County Sheiffs office and he said he didn't file any complaints about the Poker Run either and any such complaint would have come from his office.
Dennis

carreraelite
04-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Hey Glen, it was good to see you out there. Do you and the wife get out to the zoo often?
Just a few times a year. But now it's looking like it'll be even less :confused:

C-2
04-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Out of fairness to the parties I mentioned, I will verify who provided the input about the run. Keep in mind there are numerous items in the file, not just letters and complaints. I am pretty certain that at a minimum, INPUT and/or information was provided by the named parties to and specifically mentioned in a lengthy and scathing recommendation from the AZGF.
If I am putting my foot in my mouth then I will admit to it and correct and retract my statements.

SCOPE
04-29-2004, 08:30 AM
RTJas
Either he didn't, or was too busy trying to start the motor. He had some girl on too that just sat there on her ass. Should have tossed her over for the anchor!! :D :D

dkreuzen
04-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by C-2
...and specifically mentioned in a lengthy and scathing recommendation from the AZGF.
C-2,
Strange, as they did a very good TV program last year on the Poker Run. I wonder what got their shorts all bunched up this year?
Dennis

h2oedits
05-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Another perspective....
I sat in at the same Havasu meeting as the AZ Hot Boat Association rep (and about 10 other promoters and event organizers), in which the Coast Guard laid out their agenda. The meeting was attended by law enforcement, city, county, etc. This meeting was held shortly before the AZ Hot Boatpoker run.
That meeting was like a love-fest -- and the AZ Hot Boat Assoc. guy was no exception. The CG guy came off as workable -- surprisingly so, to those of us who have been at these kind of meetings before, and expected much worse.
He laid out the whole game plan at the meeting (staggering the boats, etc.), and got nothing but positive response from the AZ Hot Boat rep.
The Coast Guard basically said:
A) Local and county law enforcement is watching ALL organized events on Havasu more closely than ever, because of the increased traffic and popularity; while the Coast Guard has the final say, law enforcement has the power to shut ANY event down if they deem it unsafe to the general boating public at any time. That scenario appeared likely, given the speeds, size, number of events, etc.
B) As organizations and groups with a common interest (organized boating events on Havasu), we have to implement some sort of structure in ALL of the organized events at Havasu, in order to avoid a catastrophe that could shut down everything. He solicited input, and came up with something that was unanimously praised that night.
I wasn't at the run, so obviously don't know if he came off different on site. I also have no idea what was behind the decision to make this year's event their last....but the implication of some dark "force in the marine industry" influencing the Coast Guard action is off base -- ask any of the two dozen people who attended that meeting.
I also think Jim and his guys have done a great job with this event -- as much as anyone, they put poker running on the map on the west coast.

Phat Matt
05-01-2004, 02:22 AM
just trying to own the last word tonight...

Kachina26
05-01-2004, 07:15 AM
You are a post ***** God, second only to Debbolas.

Kachina26
05-01-2004, 07:15 AM

jdnichols
05-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Kevin, thanks for your response. We posted the following on our website, Jim
Some have been asking if this past weekend was the last Heat Wave. It is true. We are no longer going to produce the Heat Wave Poker Run.
Please read the following:
First and foremost I want to thank all who have in the past volunteered and helped us make this poker run on Lake Havasu the biggest and the best. We couldn't have done it without their help. There are so many to thank. I especially want to thank Craig Bassham who has supported this event and publicized it and made so many contributions. Also Mark Thomas, who has worked tirelessly at each and every event! So many times we have received help and I must admit I've never said thank you enough for all of your hard work. I also want to thank the other founders of the Heat Wave who haven't been involved for a while: Bill Griffin, Craig Bonhoff, and Paul Wood.
Second: I would like to thank our sponsors. Many have been supporting us from the very beginning back in 1999. They were instrumental in making this the biggest and best event. Let's face it...if they didn't spring for the prizes, pizza party, beer, lunch run etc., how much fun do you think it would have been???
Third: I would like to thank all past and just concluded poker run participants. You guys and gals are the best. We never once had any real incidents to deal with. No accidents, swapping of gel coat (that I know of), no fights etc. This speaks volumes about the character of our boating brothers and sisters.
Our original intent for this poker run was to make it affordable for all boat owners to attend. We kept our pricing very affordable for what we offered. Unfortunately, it became so popular alot of big boats were attending and the lake started to become a washing machine. Think about it. Those guys with million dollar boats could afford to go to the $1000 poker run and they came to ours too. That means word got out that our poker run was fun, fun, fun. We still had some die hards who went out in their twenty-something footers. Alot of you became spectators and we thought that was pretty cool too.
Now about why we aren't producing another Heat Wave. Plainly said...we're tired. Me, Jim and Mike have full time jobs and although we have the production of the Heat Wave down pat, it still took alot of our time. It finally got to a point where we decided it was time to quit and go out on top. We felt we accomplished that. This past Heat Wave was our best yet. And I'm going to boast a little here - NO ONE has produced a better event on Lake Havasu. This past weekend we had boats from East Coast Nordic Boats from New York, Cigarette Racing Team, Dragon Boats, Lake Cumberland Marine, National Marine in Florida etc. You've seen some of the pictures. The boats that attended were sick.
It has been mentioned on another forum that the Coast Guard (one inept gov. individual) killed our event. That is not true. From my point of view it went off without a hitch. From a participant point of view - "I had a blast. The morning start and run was fantastic." (Marilyn Demartini of Cigarette Racing Team - first time participant.) From a specator point of view you still got to see the big bad boys go all out...if you happened to be in the right spot. The CG was more involved with our event this time because of some complaints by the other agencies. Mohave County Sheriff didn't like our sixty plus boat starts because they would take up the full breadth of the lake (shore to shore.) The Arizona Game and Fish didn't like that we were encroaching on the Bill Williams Refuge and the Havasu Wildlife Refuge. Complaints that the CG had to listen to. So that is why we didn't have a north lake card station and we had a multitude of starts. We also had a speed limit from Copper Canyon until past Havasu Palms. 50-60mph. Personally, I think the 25 boat starts was much safer. I heard the same comments many times over from our participants. There was some concern about crossing traffic because of our location of the second card stop in California Bay. That was our choice - not the CG's. We needed room for our helicopter to fly and take photos and California Bay was it. Communication with our safety/patrol boats was better thanks to the CG. If there was some boat out in the middle of the channel/course, we knew about it before each start and could get them to move out of the way. All in all it turned out well. I want to thank Chief Doug Samp of the CG for his help and working with us...not against us. Just remember, the CG is responding to other agencies concerns.
Some participants have been asking about their helicopter photos and how to get them. If you pre-paid for them just call us - Jim 602-863-3713 or Art 602-318-5785 and we'll mail them out to you. If you want to buy the CD with all of the photos including channel/London Bridge and also the Nautical Cove it is $45 includes shipping/postage.
With regards to a Heat Wave Poker Run in October...it won't happen. If the Nautical Inn or someone else wants that weekend it's open. It just won't be the Heat Wave.
On a more personal note I'm thankful that I've been involved with the Heat Wave for these past five and half years. It has been some of the most exciting and fun times of my life. I've met a boat load (pun intended) of great people who have become a part of my very extended boating family I've met so many I can't even remember some of your names :shocked: If you see me on the water and say hello, and I turn to my wife Carol and whisper "who is that?" Just chuckle to yourself and say "No problem Art, my name is .....
See you guys on the lake. I'm looking forward to some relaxing time on the water with friends I've been neglecting for far too long.

paradigm shift
05-01-2004, 03:07 PM
We have had a great time at every poker run. I can only think of a couple we missed. This one was great and the boats unbelievable. Had to see to them to really appreciate their size and sick paint jobs. Pictures do not do them justice.
AZHB all of you we send a great big THANK YOU. Relax enjoy the water and maybe a few cold ones of your choice. :D Hope to see you at the lake.
Andy & Pam West

Kachina26
05-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Andy,
I saw your boat down at the springs on Friday, but I couldn't put a face to it so I didn't get to say hi. What is your swim step made of? It's kinda trippy, I like it.

Debbolas
05-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Hey!
LOL
:D :eek: :D

bgchuby
05-03-2004, 07:30 AM
To river dave. I am the owner of the sea ray that was at the sandbar on saturday of the poker run. As you know I had my anchor out with 7 boats rafted to me because I have a strong enough anchor to do the job. All day long boats drifted across the anchor line not paying attention to the fact that their prop could cut my line. I do not walk far away from my boat because if there is a problem I want to be there to fix the problem. On the day you saw me getting upset a eliminator cat was sitting on my line and the owner was no where is sight. As you know from going there alot the current is pretty strong and you need to pay attention to your boat. All day long boats were drifting into my boat and the boats rafted to me. I am almost to the point of putting a large fire pump/hose on the bow and sinking the next boat that drifts into me for no reason. My boat is fairly large and if I can control it from hitting someone than some of these smaller river boats should be able to do the same. Also yes I am a member of scope and am a board member but at no time did I say that I was the president of scope. I enjoy the lake as much as anyone but I care about my boat and the boats around me. The problem is that people are allowed to buy boats regardless of the engine size and drive them with no schooling or knowedge of what that they are doing.

bgchuby
05-04-2004, 05:11 PM
getting back to the issue of the post, I am sorry to see a poker run shut down. There should be a way to make it work in a safe and fun way. Again going back to my last post you have people buying large powerful boats with no knowledge of how to handle the boat or understand the rules of the road.

FastTimmy
05-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Hey dave, now I know why you seemed so pissy that day. I think I cought you just after this happened. I got the impresion you were pissed at me for somthing when you guys were leaving.
Hope you still have the love..
Timmy

bgchuby
05-05-2004, 09:47 AM
To RD, sorry if I seemed so mad but I had been anchored there most of the day and it seemed like every half hour someone would drive over the anchor line just not paying attention. Just like you I want to go to the other side of the bar to sightsee but about the time I think that it is safe another idiot drifts into the line. That day I had 7 or 8 boats rafted up to me and they were all big expensive boats and the boats drifting into us were getting the other owners besides me pretty upset.
anyway I will be back at the bar the weekend prior to memorial since the holiday weekends the bar is closed. see you there

Debbolas
05-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bgchuby
To RD, sorry if I seemed so mad but I had been anchored there most of the day and it seemed like every half hour someone would drive over the anchor line just not paying attention. Just like you I want to go to the other side of the bar to sightsee but about the time I think that it is safe another idiot drifts into the line. That day I had 7 or 8 boats rafted up to me and they were all big expensive boats and the boats drifting into us were getting the other owners besides me pretty upset.
anyway I will be back at the bar the weekend prior to memorial since the holiday weekends the bar is closed. see you there
They close the sandbar on holiday weekends? How? Does everyone go back to Copper Canyon now?

jackpunx
05-05-2004, 11:46 AM
they close that too

DogHouse
05-11-2004, 09:25 PM
bump!
:D