PDA

View Full Version : Hemi Ram

GottaJet
04-24-2004, 07:54 PM
I just wanted to get some opinions/experiences on Dodge trucks the hemi in paticular. Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks GJ

disco_charger
04-25-2004, 09:09 PM
I have one with about 4500 miles on it. Tows my 8500 lb travel trailer without too much fuss, but then, I've only towed it on level or very mild grades. It's way quicker than my old Chevy, and even though I've never trusted Dodges, I really like it so far. I did, however, pay for the extra wrap around warranty.

Outnumbered
04-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by disco_charger
I have one with about 4500 miles on it. Tows my 8500 lb travel trailer without too much fuss, but then, I've only towed it on level or very mild grades. It's way quicker than my old Chevy, and even though I've never trusted Dodges, I really like it so far. I did, however, pay for the extra wrap around warranty.
I was just like you. Always a Chevy guy. Leased my 2001 Durango with 4.7 because I was not sure if it would hold up. Well, it was the best little truck I ever had. 36k miles trouble free. Many pulling a boat that was 500lbs over the rated tow capacity. We pulled from Temple Bar at mead to Lake Arrowhead. The grades were brutal. Cajon Pass, Baker Grade, and the worst--from Hesperia to Lake Arrowhead at 5,200 elevation.
I hear the 4.7 tranny is the same as the Hemi and will not hold up well to the Hemi power. We had no problems with our tranny.
We traded the Durango on a 2003 Cummins auto and its bad-ass. We love it. 20,000 miles and still tight as when new.
Get the Cummins Diesel if you have a big boat.
OL

GottaJet
04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks Guys:D

Flying Tiger
04-26-2004, 04:18 PM
If the tranny pukes under warranty, which it probably will,, you have 2 options:
1. Replace with a new tranny.
2: Replaced with a beefy rebuilt tranny.
The MoPar truck owners I know say take option 2,, get the beefy, rebuilt tranny.

HalletDave
05-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by GottaJet
I just wanted to get some opinions/experiences on Dodge trucks the hemi in paticular. Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks GJ
Gottajet,
I have a 2003 HEMI Quad Cab with 21,000 miles.
It is my daily driver from Lancaster to work at Edwards AFB. (18 MPG)
It also pulls the ole Hallett quite well. (14.6 to 16.0 MPG average uphill, downhill and level roads) 65 to 70 MPH
So far I have had no problems with it in daily use or towing the boat.
The only things I have done to it is put on a Flowmaster Delta Series 50 muffler and a K&N FIPK unit. (thanks again Disco)
It sure is a lot of fun to drive.

naci_boater
05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I just bought a ram 1500 hemi. Does anybody know what the break in period is on one.
How many miles before you should tow?

HalletDave
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by naci_boater
I just bought a ram 1500 hemi. Does anybody know what the break in period is on one.
How many miles before you should tow?
The dealer told me 500 to 1,000 miles before towing.
Did I listen to them? NO
Break it in for the way you are going to use it.
If you have 500 miles or close to it I say pull the boat.
This is also my daily driver to and from Lancaster to Edwards AFB.
I have not had any problems to date, almost 22,000 miles.
We are going to be up at Naci over Memorial Day weekend.
Look for a blown 22 ft Stoker and my Rootbeer brown metal flake Hallett Mini Cruiser.
Hallett keepin' his fingers crossed Dave