PDA

View Full Version : Pan Gasket Install ????????

DansBlown73Nordic
04-25-2004, 01:11 AM
I getting ready to put the oil pan on my motor BBC. Can someone tell me what to do with those little titty things on the front pan seal. I have an aluminum front timing cover. It has a couple holes for those rubber tits. But then those things are other places without any holes. Im thinking just trim off the ones I can't use. :confused: :confused: :confused: HELP!!!!!!

mptheriot
04-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
I getting ready to put the oil pan on my motor BBC. Can someone tell me what to do with those little titty things on the front pan seal. I have an aluminum front timing cover. It has a couple holes for those rubber tits. But then those things are other places without any holes. Im thinking just trim off the ones I can't use. :confused: :confused: :confused: HELP!!!!!!
Hey Dan Ive been in the auto and truck repair business over 25 years and I learned a long time ago throw the rubber away and use silicone gasket maker. Apply a liberal amount to both surfaces (1/4" bead) and assemble. Make sure both surfaces are clean. I use starting fluid, it removes all traces of oil and dirt. Actually alot of manufacturers have quit using gaskets and went to silicone. I hate a leak. It's been my experience that rubber gaskets on several locations eventually squezze out and cause leakage
Valve cover gaskets smash, harden, crack, intake ends squeeze out, also oil pans sides and ends. The silicone will give you a good seal for a long time. Most important is clean surfaces. Good luck!

PGF545
04-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Dan, we found a one piece gasket that Felpro makes, it is really nice and reusable. You might check witha local auto part store on maybe Jeg's or Summit. We have been using it on our Pro Gas motors and have never had any problems.
Bernie

Moneypitt
04-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Dan, I used the 1 piece for the first time and was really impressed. I didn't use any silicone, and had NO leaks. The one piece idea keeps everything in place, although you'll still have to trim a couple of tits if your cover doesn't have holes. The one piece costs a little more, but I highly recomend using it. One little hint, use studs and nuts on the corners,(studs in the cover will preserve the threads in the aluminum), if not all the fastners. I won't use the old 4 piece again, as technology and inovation march on!!! Question!! Is the oil pump drive shaft in?? It won't go in from the top!!!....be there done that..........Moneypitt

VD CRUISER
04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah , the one piece is the deal, I've even reused mine once. Just take a razor and trim off the tits that you don't have holes for.

mptheriot
05-03-2004, 09:05 PM
I'll second that method. Studs and nuts with the one piece is the optimum install on the bbc. You can take the pan on and off several times and the gasket holds-up well. Don't trust anyone else to install oil pump, KNOW the shaft is in the mix.HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!
riginally posted by Moneypitt [/i]
Dan, I used the 1 piece for the first time and was really impressed. I didn't use any silicone, and had NO leaks. The one piece idea keeps everything in place, although you'll still have to trim a couple of tits if your cover doesn't have holes. The one piece costs a little more, but I highly recomend using it. One little hint, use studs and nuts on the corners,(studs in the cover will preserve the threads in the aluminum), if not all the fastners. I won't use the old 4 piece again, as technology and inovation march on!!! Question!! Is the oil pump drive shaft in?? It won't go in from the top!!!....be there done that..........Moneypitt [/QUOTE]