PDA

View Full Version : billet cover

phebus
04-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know if a biilet cover is made that replaces the plastic cover on a 496 HO motor? (the top cover on the engine with the labels)

phuggit
04-25-2004, 12:39 PM
I asked the same question about a year ago. Someone told me Wizard in Havazoo made one, but it was around $700.00. I sent Wizard an email, but they didn't reply. I spoke to their rep at the LA Boat Show and he told me they made one or two, but the cost was to high and there wasn't a large enough market to justify the cost of fabrication.
Whipple Industries makes a cool polished stainless cover. Don't know what the cost is but check out their web site for some pics.

phebus
04-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by phuggit
Whipple Industries makes a cool polished stainless cover. Don't know what the cost is but check out their web site for some pics.
Found the listing: Stainless Engine Cover Kit $ 395.00, but couldn't find a picture. If anyone has one, or a picture of one and could post it, I would appreciate it.

phuggit
04-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Try this Phebus
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1190

phebus
04-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Wow, I saw that and didn't realize it was the cover. It looks like a housing of some kind. I like it, but I wonder if it raises the heigth over the stock cover. Does anyone run one? I am going to call them tomorrow for info. Thanks

dr. margarita
04-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Sit tight!! There's one just around the corner that is currently being developed. It's in the prototype stage and will be available to the public by mid-summer. The price point will be such that everyone can afford it. My attorney is currently researching patents and copyrights! I'll post a picture once design protection is in place!

phebus
04-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks, I'll wait and see. I would think that if the price was right, the demand would be high. It would be nice to dress up the stock engine with some billet. People spend a fortune on Billet battery holders, and they sit down in the bilge. This would sit right on top for everyone to see. Hurry up! :D

phebus
04-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Will it raise the stock heigth?

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 07:44 PM
That looks pretty cool. Now all I need is to get myself another boat with a big block.......:D
I really do like that.... it looks hella sharp.

dr. margarita
04-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by phebus
Will it raise the stock heigth?
The current prototype is actually lower than stock by 1/2" with all essential clearances.
No need to get a big block...Our next effort will focus on all other Mercruiser packages. Probably concentrating on the 6.2 next.
Our philosophy is that you shouldn't have to spend a fortune on a motor package to have it look great when you raise the hatch!

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by dr. margarita
The current prototype is actually lower than stock by 1/2" with all essential clearances.
No need to get a big block...Our next effort will focus on all other Mercruiser packages. Probably concentrating on the 6.2 next.
Our philosophy is that you shouldn't have to spend a fortune on a motor package to have it look great when you raise the hatch!
Nice Philosiphy.....
Mine's got a carb......:(

XTRM22
04-25-2004, 08:59 PM
I like that philosophy too! I'd post a pic of my carb motor, but I don't know how. Stock motor with Teague valve covers, and Gaffrig flame arrrestor, powder coated red to match the rest of the hardware. I even added polished Imco powerflows, it's not necessarily faster, but I like it better.
Dr Eagle if you haven't done anything yet, there's plenty to do to a stock carb motor to pretty it up!
Chuck

phebus
04-26-2004, 05:50 AM
I would think the boat manufacturers would jump all over the covers. I can see their names emblazoned on them now.

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by XTRM22
I like that philosophy too! I'd post a pic of my carb motor, but I don't know how. Stock motor with Teague valve covers, and Gaffrig flame arrrestor, powder coated red to match the rest of the hardware. I even added polished Imco powerflows, it's not necessarily faster, but I like it better.
Dr Eagle if you haven't done anything yet, there's plenty to do to a stock carb motor to pretty it up!
Chuck
Yeah, Chuck. I got the boat in November and two weeks later started working on the road. Been on the road ever since. So I haven't had time to do anything to the boat.

Offshore1
04-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Now we need other sources to program the 555 ECU other than whipple. $795 to re program an ECU.
What are they smokin and give me some.
:)

phebus
04-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Incidentally, if you would like a reasonable quote for prototyping and production CNC work, shoot me a PM. :)
RD
Until I read that there was one being developed, I thought this would be the next RD project after the remote bezels.

Budget Baller
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
RD,
Do you have a picture of the bezel?

welk2party
04-26-2004, 04:42 PM
HOw much RD? Can you make them pruple anodized?

welk2party
04-26-2004, 04:49 PM
RD, sent ya a PM

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Offshore1
Now we need other sources to program the 555 ECU other than whipple. $795 to re program an ECU.
What are they smokin and give me some.
:)
What about Arizona Speed and Marine?

phebus
04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
RD, hijack away. If I can find the IR adapter so I can use the Access Tech remote with an Alpine stereo, I definately want one of the large bezels with blue anodizing.
Thanks

phebus
05-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by dr. margarita
Sit tight!! There's one just around the corner that is currently being developed. It's in the prototype stage and will be available to the public by mid-summer. The price point will be such that everyone can afford it. My attorney is currently researching patents and copyrights! I'll post a picture once design protection is in place!
Dr. marg, any updates on the engine covers? If you have a prototype, I would love to see it.
Thanks

LAVEYSABRE575
05-16-2004, 11:38 AM
wizard will be opened again in about 2 wks new owners out of phoenix i talked to the previous owners at havasu last week they sold it...