PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake lock up

cc322
04-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Why is it when I back up on a slight hill or driveway the disc brakes lock up on my new trailer? Than I have to get out and put a key into the slot behind the roller pin on the side of the actuator, this allows me to back up without the brakes locking up. Maybe someone could help me before I read the Zieman manual:confused:

Mandelon
04-25-2004, 04:53 PM
The sensor feels the pressure and weight of the trailer and thinks you are stopping. It is just trying to help do its job by applying the brakes.
Do you have the 5 flat pin connector that will disable the brakes? It connects to the backup lights and disables them.

cc322
04-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Yes I have the right pin connector,Jeff gave me this one because my other one would not work. I cant beliveve that this thing would lock up on such a little hill.

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 05:44 PM
If you have the backup solenoid it should not lock up in reverse period if it is getting power from the backup lights...

BoatFloating
04-25-2004, 05:46 PM
I had a bad solenoid on my trailer. So that could be your problem. Check your reverse light with a test light to be sure.

cc322
04-25-2004, 05:50 PM
It works fine on a straight line , the trailer does have the back up solenoid and the back up lights come on, could this be in the trailer solenoid not working correctly I am towing with 00 expedition with a tow package ,or could it be in the truck???????

LAVEYSABRE575
04-25-2004, 05:52 PM
YOU GOTTA HAVE YOUR LIGHTS PLUGGED IN OR YOU CANT BACK UP . SORRY FOR THE CAPS, ALSO LOOK AT YOUR OWNERS MANUEL IN YOUR GLOVE COMPARTMENT FOR YOUR EXPEDITION THERES A TOW FUSE THAT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED UNDER THE HOOD...ENJOY

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by cc322
It works fine on a straight line , the trailer does have the back up solenoid and the back up lights come on, could this be in the trailer solenoid not working correctly I am towing with 00 expedition with a tow package ,or could it be in the truck???????
YOu first need to be sure you are getting voltage from the wiring connection. If you get 12v from the backup light connection on the trailer wiring harness, and you are sure it is connected to the right wire on the trailer, then it is possible you have a bad soleniod... If the problem is with the trailer, Zieman should take care of it.

cc322
04-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Yes the trailer lights are pluged in:eek: lol

jbtrailerjim
04-25-2004, 06:01 PM
On my 02 F-150 the 7 way plug is wired for it but they don't have the relay installed in the fuse panel under the hood.Therfore you are getting no power to the center pin on your plug when it's in reverse. Check the owners manual it will show you the location in the fuse panel the relay need's to be plugged into. You will need to go buy a relay and plug it in. That should work for your Expedition.

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
On my 02 F-150 the 7 way plug is wired for it but they don't have the relay installed in the fuse panel under the hood.Therfore you are getting no power to the center pin on your plug when it's in reverse. Check the owners manual it will show you the location in the fuse panel the relay need's to be plugged into. You will need to go buy a relay and plug it in. That should work for your Expedition.
If you trust your wife, you can take a test light if you don't have a Volt Meter and touch one electrode to the center pin and the other to ground while the truck is in reverse with the reverse lights on. Just hope you wife keeps her foot on the brake.......;)
That'll tell you if you have juice going to the trailer.

jbtrailerjim
04-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I didn't trust my wife.;) :D So, I just chocked the tires and put it reverse and checked it with a light tester by myself. There was no power to the center pin. The stupid thing about it is the 7-way comes wired but cheap ass Ford does not add the relay to the fuse panel.

Mandelon
04-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Can you just loop a piece of wire from the tail light around the backup light pin to energize it?
Be sure to take it off or you won't have trailer brakes if the lights are on......

cc322
04-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Found it...checked the box and nothing is thier:mad: what the hell is a tow package without the relay?????????? oh well I hope this works,I will have to get one tomorrow and install it than check it with the volt meter, hope it works if it does thanks for all the replys:D and all the help.

BoatFloating
04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
The problem is that Ford and Tow package don't go together;)

Dr. Eagle
04-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
The problem is that Ford and Tow package don't go together;)
It does seem damn strange that they wouldn't equip the fuse panel with all of the relays and fuses required with the tow package...
That just doesn't compute to me.....:confused:

US1Fountain
04-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Check in the glove box. Ford puts the needed relays in a bag with the owners manual. You will need to get a 7 round -- 5 flat adapter and use the round plug connection on the truck.
Also, if you have the cheaper back up solenoid, the one w/o the bleed off line, you can't shift into reverse while there is brake pressure on the coupler. This solenoid will not bleed off the pressure in the trailer brake lines and your trailer brakes will still be engaged. Becomes a real PITA if you need to reposition while backing up backwards. I used to use a jumper wire from the trailer solenoid terminal to the truck parking lite terminal. Pull forward a little then turn on parking lites. That locks out the trailer brakes so you can repostion as much as needed. Replaced that with the deluxe backup solenoid. Now trailer brake pressure bleeds off whenever put into reverse.

cc322
04-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Well I got the relay today and put it in, I used a test light with the truck in reverse and got power to the test light. So it should work when I hook up my trailer right?????????:D

BoatFloating
04-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by cc322
Well I got the relay today and put it in, I used a test light with the truck in reverse and got power to the test light. So it should work when I hook up my trailer right?????????:D
I would say yes....