PDA

View Full Version : stringer question

charlie f
04-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I am helping a friend replace the rear stringers in a 78 Taylor SJ, They appear to be 2" x 6" any suggestions as to what kind of wood we should. The old ones were so rotten they were mush.
These are the stringers that the motor mounts are bolted to.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Wet Dream
04-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Are they full stringers that run the length of the boat or are boxed at the engine compartment and almost look like a goal post design?

toad polumsky
04-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Use fir for the stringers

charlie f
04-25-2004, 07:43 PM
These are the short stringers, like the goal post.

Taylorman
04-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by charlie f
These are the short stringers, like the goal post.
You are going to get a million different opinions here. Go to home depot and buy a regular 2x6. I have a 76 SJ and so does a friend of mine and we both have replaced stingers with home depot specials.
Post a picture of the boat.

Bow Tie Omega
04-25-2004, 07:59 PM
I replaced the stringers on my boat, they had the Home Depot special 2x6's when I purchased it. I could push my finger thru them right before I removed them, granted this was because of other problems caused prior to the purchase. It was recommended to use kiln dried phillipean mahogany. This stuff is expensive but easily the most dense wood I ever cut. And according to experts, one of the most naturally water resistant woods in the world. I would rather spend the extra money and do this miserable job once then save a few bucks and do it agian in 5-7 years.

CrdStang
04-25-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd say doing a good job of sealing the wood with resin/fiberglass is more important than the kind of wood you use.

moneysucker
04-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I would use pressure treated 2x6 it will last a long time and will withstand moisture without costing much more. Or if you plan on keeping the boat for ever maybe try Trex that synthetic decking 2x6.
Cy

MarKist
04-26-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by CrdStang
I'm no expert, but I'd say doing a good job of sealing the wood with resin/fiberglass is more important than the kind of wood you use.
Ats rite! :wink:

BK
04-26-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
I replaced the stringers on my boat, they had the Home Depot special 2x6's when I purchased it. I could push my finger thru them right before I removed them, granted this was because of other problems caused prior to the purchase. It was recommended to use kiln dried phillipean mahogany. This stuff is expensive but easily the most dense wood I ever cut. And according to experts, one of the most naturally water resistant woods in the world. I would rather spend the extra money and do this miserable job once then save a few bucks and do it agian in 5-7 years.
I agree with Omega. Do it right the first time and use kiln dried lumber, weather its mahogany or doug fir. Im no expert by any stretch, but why would you want to glass over wet wood or wood with moisture in it? Why not have all the shrinkage/moisture out before you glass it in? Makes more sense to spend the extra money and do it properly.

dogfoot
04-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by moneysucker
I would use pressure treated 2x6 it will last a long time and will withstand moisture without costing much more. Or if you plan on keeping the boat for ever maybe try Trex that synthetic decking 2x6.
Cy
I just tore out the floor in my boat and I will never put wood back in a boat again with the composite's like the Trex that are available, they are not much more and you will never have to worry about whether it will last or not and it is available at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. It's GREAT stuff check it out...

MarKist
04-26-2004, 08:07 AM
hey your rite dogfoot, that's some killer shizit, last forever , but never the less, it still needs alot attention to the glass work!;)I think thats what I would do now that I think about it, but thats just me ..:D

Oldsquirt
04-26-2004, 08:21 AM
One problem with Trex that has been mentioned before is that it has virtually no structural strength.
Why not use wood? Just do a better job than the "factory" did 20-30 years ago and you should get at least that many years life out of it. I doubt any of us will still be using our current boats at that time.:D

MarKist
04-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by OLDSQUIRT
One problem with Trex that has been mentioned before is that it has virtually no structural strength.
Why not use wood? Just do a better job than the "factory" did 20-30 years ago and you should get at least that many years life out of it. I doubt any of us will still be using our current boats at that time.:D
ah.. thats why they build the frame out of wood and use Trex as decking , "I see , said, the blind man":D :D

Sanger Pete
04-26-2004, 11:10 PM
I was thinking about using trex as replacement stringers for my sanger sj last spring. I got a hold of a brochure that had a factory phone number, and after getting transferred to 4 different people, the one engineer that seemed to know advised against it because of the structural (or lack of) qualities of the material. He suggested, and I went with kiln dried doug fir.

moneysucker
04-26-2004, 11:23 PM
I have seen some new stuff lately that does have structural integrity but it may not be the Trex brand. I have tha rail kit for structural support with the original stringers. I don't ever plan on keeping a boat the amount of time they will take to rot out with a propper glass job. Like the seats I build, Resin the hell out of them and the foam and vinyl will be long gone before the frame. There is always something better and we all have to keep looking to find the better products.