PDA

View Full Version : Pulling off transom adapter

AgentX85239
04-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Is there a certain way to pull off a transom adapter that is siliconed to the hull? I've stripped off as much silicone as possible and this thing won't budge. Any ideas?

shaun
04-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Well i havnt tryed to pull mine off yet but i did have to remove the bowl from the adaptor and holly shit did that thing have a mad amount of silicon. Basically what i ended up doing was taking a large hose clamp forcing it thru and i had another person on the other side and we just pulled in and out all the way around. You could probably do the same with the adapter. A small braided wire would probably work well.

ONAROLL
04-26-2004, 12:04 AM
Go in the kitchen, get one of those stainless steel long kitchen knives about 12 inches long, with the non serrated blade,be sure its blade is pretty flexable, slide or tap it between the hull and the transom adapter,work it up and down dont get in a big hurry,with your free hand pull on the adapter as you work the blade around, if its really tough tap the back of the blade a little. works everytime!...Vic:

Rexone
04-26-2004, 12:32 AM
I remember a guy posted he used guitar string to cut the silicone. Never tried it but sounds like a good idea.

MoJetBoPar
04-26-2004, 05:34 AM
"Wire wound" guitar string, like as found on the lower E, A & D strings of an electric 6-string will work nicely. It will saw through better than a solid string. I've cut windshields out that way too.

78Eliminator
04-26-2004, 06:45 AM
I got advice here a while back from Miller19j and it was the best.
Go to home depot and buy some wood shims (they sell them in packs). Get about two packs. Simply hammer the shims in around the adapter and slowly work them in. Eventually, the adapter will pop off. Nice thing about wood, is that it won't ruin anything.
J

Petrofied
04-26-2004, 03:58 PM
I use 10lb test off my trout rig.... Wrap each end around a short 3/8 socket extension straddle and pull!!! BE SURE TO SLICE THE BOWL SECTION ALSO. I like to use a feeler gauge .015 or so. Once around the bowl done......:cool:

Duane HTP
04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
I use a filet knife to cut between the bowl and adapter. The I put about two rounds of 200 mph, (duct), tape on the boat around the transom adapter. Then you can drive two or three putty knives in with a hammer with out scaring up the back of the boat.
Once you get the putty knives in there is room to start some screw drivers and pretty soon pop, it's off.

Duane HTP
04-26-2004, 06:26 PM
I just got to thinking, you better check with Chet, he might have a cheaper brand of tape. HE HE

MudPumper
04-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
I use a filet knife to cut between the bowl and adapter. The I put about two rounds of 200 mph, (duct), tape on the boat around the transom adapter. Then you can drive two or three putty knives in with a hammer with out scaring up the back of the boat.
Once you get the putty knives in there is room to start some screw drivers and pretty soon pop, it's off.
This is exactly how I do it, putty knives and screw drivers. I pulled mine off about 3 weeks ago and it was stuck on with about a whole tube of silicone. Took me about 5 min to get it off.

AgentX85239
05-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Ok so I got it off (ended up hitting it from the inside with a 2x4 and a hammer) whats the best way to re-seal it? It didn't have the rubber seal on it before, but i'm going to put one back on.

jetboater5
05-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Clean up really good, then just reinstall it with a small amount of silicone. If you use the rubber o ring seal it could twist when installing it then you will have nothing but leaks. Once you have the adapter on just go around the bowl with some silicone and wipe off the excess, if you do this right you should not see any silicone. It takes very little silicone, don't just goob it in there take your time and it will look really nice and you will have no leaks

kp216
05-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
I just got to thinking, you better check with Chet, he might have a cheaper brand of tape. HE HE
http://www.conservationcafe.com/graemlins/rotfl.gif http://www.conservationcafe.com/graemlins/rotfl.gif http://www.conservationcafe.com/graemlins/rotfl.gif

AgentX85239
05-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by jetboater5
Clean up really good, then just reinstall it with a small amount of silicone. If you use the rubber o ring seal it could twist when installing it then you will have nothing but leaks. Once you have the adapter on just go around the bowl with some silicone and wipe off the excess, if you do this right you should not see any silicone. It takes very little silicone, don't just goob it in there take your time and it will look really nice and you will have no leaks
I meant the rubber that goes between the transom adapter and the transom. I'll just silicone it to the plate and let it set so it doesn't move around then silicone to the transom. Then grease or soap the crap out of that o-ring before i put it on.

Cheap Thrills
05-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
I remember a guy posted he used guitar string to cut the silicone. Never tried it but sounds like a good idea.
I used the same method worked for me it's best to use a wound E string as opposed to a flat E but anyhoo :D
C.T. :wink:

LakesOnly
05-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
I tell ya man, a million uses, that guitar string. I once used it for essentially the same thing...to cut a windshield out of the rubber gasket as we prepped a car for painting. Same technique as applied here.
LO