PDA

View Full Version : Why no propane powered boats?

zmoz
04-26-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking about getting a new boat this year, something with a big block in the back. I was thinking about converting it to run on propane. Why is it that this is very rare in boats? It's cheaper, higher octane, lighter weight, and doesn't go bad. Seems like those things would make it popular in boats. Any reason I'm not seeing why it would be a bad choice?

5th Horseman
04-26-2004, 05:42 AM
I don't think it would be a bad choice, as long as you can live with an extra heavy tank, and nowhere to fill up on the water. LPG also has less btu content than gasoline so you'd need more of it volume wise than gas. Getting a Hi perf motor to run on LPG would take some R&D are you ready for that?
Paul

bocco
04-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by 5th Horseman
I don't think it would be a bad choice, as long as you can live with an extra heavy tank, and nowhere to fill up on the water. LPG also has less btu content than gasoline so you'd need more of it volume wise than gas. Getting a Hi perf motor to run on LPG would take some R&D are you ready for that?
Paul
Most lakes that have houseboats DO have propane available. But the hose may not be long enough to reach the boat so may need to use smaller removable tanks. My house uses the RV style thats about twice the size as a BBQ one. There not to bad to lift even full.

Wet Dream
04-26-2004, 06:58 PM
There is always the "Forklift" style tanks that are easily interchangeable.

Kindsvater Flat
04-26-2004, 07:29 PM
I have a friend that has a propane powered v-drive. Has a 350 chevy with a tunnel ram. Boat runs pretty good, I was suprised the first time I saw it. So far he has only had one explosion.
BTW propane is heavy and sit in the bottom of the hull if there is a leak. His leaked, hit the starter and WHOOOSH!. He lost a little hair on that deal.

Bow Tie Omega
04-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Sounds like the propane issue is the same as gasoline safety wise. That is actually a great idea, trying to use an alternative fuel. It may come in real handy in the next few years when they start locking us "polluters" out of the lakes. Could you imagine the looks on the tree huggers faces seeing our shiny exhausted, brightly painted pollution friendly hot boats. What would their next excuse be???

Just Tool'n
04-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
[ It may come in real handy in the next few years when they start locking us "polluters" out of the lakes. Could you imagine the looks on the tree huggers faces seeing our shiny exhausted, brightly painted pollution friendly hot boats. What would their next excuse be??? [/B]
I would love to see the looks on there faces as we fly by at 80MPH giving them and all of there buddies the 1 finger solute!:D

zmoz
04-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 5th Horseman
Paul
The tank may be heavy, but it isn't any heavier than a gas tank. I'm also pretty sure that given the same amount of energy, propane is lighter than gasoline. It's not that difficult to make a motor run on propane, just different than building a gas motor. High compression ratios are great too...it's like race gas, only way cheaper.

brianwhiteboy
04-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Propane is for cookin' up some steaks!! :p

bigpapasean
04-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Running Propane is like running 110-octane fuel And you would haft to change your oil less often

malcolm
04-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but it's murder on valves, at least all the ones I've seen.

shaun
05-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Some people use propane for super charged applications, when they start to boost the system introduces propane into the system and this helps prevent detonation and also cools the charge. At least thats what they where sayin.
I have heard that propane will only get you half as far as normal gas would get you but hey, it's clean and we can still have those loud ass boats/cars! Electric motor sounds just dont cut it for me!

TIMINATOR
05-03-2004, 06:38 AM
A few years ago we did a propane powered pro street pickup for a customer. A 510 inch BBC W/tunnel ram and two 420 cfm 4 bbls,big roller cam,12.7 compression,Canfield heads,etc,etc,etc.... it passes smog easily and the smog station guys spend a half an hour on it trying to make it fail every year. It hasn't yet! HAHAHA! I have a propane setup for my prostreet 68 Nova with the BDS blown 548 that should be done in a month or so, can't wait! Oh yeah in AZ. an alternative fuel vehicle pays only a $12.00 registration fee and can use the carpool lanes anytime! TIMINATOR

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
05-03-2004, 02:43 PM
I'VE HEARD ABOUT PROPANE INJECTION ON DIESELS AND IT MAKES OUT-OF-HAND HORSE POWER/TORQUE!
I'VE HEARD IN FORK LIFTS ITS LAME THOUGH??.

Sleek-Jet
05-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by TIMINATOR
A few years ago we did a propane powered pro street pickup for a customer. A 510 inch BBC W/tunnel ram and two 420 cfm 4 bbls,big roller cam,12.7 compression,Canfield heads,etc,etc,etc.... it passes smog easily and the smog station guys spend a half an hour on it trying to make it fail every year. It hasn't yet! HAHAHA! I have a propane setup for my prostreet 68 Nova with the BDS blown 548 that should be done in a month or so, can't wait! Oh yeah in AZ. an alternative fuel vehicle pays only a $12.00 registration fee and can use the carpool lanes anytime! TIMINATOR
How do you set up the carbs and the heads to run propane. I've heard it's hard on valves, like Malcom said.

zmoz
05-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
I'VE HEARD ABOUT PROPANE INJECTION ON DIESELS AND IT MAKES OUT-OF-HAND HORSE POWER/TORQUE!
I'VE HEARD IN FORK LIFTS ITS LAME THOUGH??.
Of course it's lame in a fork lift...it's a fork lift! It's not like they're trying to make them fast...;)

shaun
05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm sure somebody is trying somewhere... :rolleyes:
Originally posted by zmoz
Of course it's lame in a fork lift...it's a fork lift! It's not like they're trying to make them fast...;)

Sleek-Jet
05-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I wonder if Hot Forklift magazine has a forum??

OkieDave
05-04-2004, 02:09 PM
A few years ago some guys from Kansas were running a turbo-charged propane powered hydro at some of the local races here. They ran in the 8's if I remember correctly.