PDA

View Full Version : Billet Swim Steps?

miller19j
04-26-2004, 01:19 PM
For those of you that have billet swim steps with the rubber non slip inserts. How do you like them? Do they feel funny when sitting on them? I am thinking about buying a set and wanted to know the pros and cons of them before I buy them.
Theese are the ones I was looking at
http://rexmar.com/images/page33.jpg

tool 'n' jet
04-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I have them without the inserts, talking about a hazard. Everyone slips on those things...

miller19j
04-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by tool 'n' jet
I have them without the inserts, talking about a hazard. Everyone slips on those things... That’s what I have heard that’s why I was thinking about the ones with inserts. I was hoping that the rubber would help keep people from slipping. I just wanted to make sure it didn’t feel funny to sit on (Specifically for the ladies in skimpy bikinis).

BADBLOWN572
04-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by tool 'n' jet
I have them without the inserts, talking about a hazard. Everyone slips on those things...
I would have to agree with you on this one. We had a customer one time that got the ones without the rubber inserts and the wife slipped and caught a couple of toes in the hand pulls and broke her foot. The steps that I have been on get slipprey without the rubber. With the rubber, there is more of a texture on the steps. They still do get somewhat slick, but not as much as the ones without, in my opinion.

68campbell
04-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Miller,
You'll be OK without the inserts, they're only slippery when wet.

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 02:02 PM
there goes Dave with that "junk" thing again.....LOL
I agree with you Dave, I like my Teak steps. More maintenance, but they work so well.......

miller19j
04-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Todd,
I am pretty sure that my boat gets wet more often than yours! :D
Dave,
I’m still considering options. I might go with teak but I kind of like the billet ones.

68campbell
04-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Miller 1 - Todd 0
I will, however, be racing at Santa Maria on the 15th. Thats the real reason the boats been dry.

mirvin
04-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah, what's wrong with teak? Other then having to re-****ing-finish them every season:D I swear to gosh this year I'm putting some kind of laquer finish on them;)
mirvin

miller19j
04-26-2004, 02:09 PM
OK River(has a Teak Fetish)Dave,
Do you know of any teak suppliers? If I am going to fabricate some new steps I am going to have to buy some lumber.
I actually drew up a swim step that flowed with the lines of my boat and was going to build it and my teak supplier went out of business.

Lightning
04-26-2004, 02:15 PM
I concur on the teak, I think they look better, are definately more functional, don't have to worry about the slippage and you don't have to worry about them getting effed up. The billet ones look nice and all, but they are a bitch to keep up in my opinion, and one scratch and they look effed.

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I concur on the teak, I think they look better, are definately more functional, don't have to worry about the slippage and you don't have to worry about them getting effed up. The billet ones look nice and all, but they are a bitch to keep up in my opinion, and one scratch and they look effed.
I don't know RD, I have never found a teak oil that will last like you describe. I don't like the stuff looking white, I like it looking golden brown. So I end up oiling it every other trip. Best I ever did was to use Thompson's Water Seal and it would keep it looking good for a while, but then it would build up and leave a sticky residue.....ewww.

572Daytona
04-26-2004, 02:20 PM
I've got the rubber inserts on my Dana swimsteps and they aren't real comfortable to sit or kneel on, but you can fix that with a throw cushion if need be.

miller19j
04-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
I've got the rubber inserts on my Dana swimsteps and they aren't real comfortable to sit or kneel on, but you can fix that with a throw cushion if need be. That’s what I was wondering. Like when someone is sitting on them putting on a ski.
I guess I am leaning towards the teak again.

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by miller19j
I think I would too...

Scream
04-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Yeah, what's wrong with teak? Other then having to re-****ing-finish them every season:D I swear to gosh this year I'm putting some kind of laquer finish on them;)
mirvin
Way to clean up that post. I bet the FCC will like it. LOL

Havasu_Dreamin
04-26-2004, 02:35 PM
But are still kicking RD in the junk?:p

Debbolas
04-26-2004, 02:36 PM
you all are a bunch of junk kickers lol :D

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 02:38 PM
OK River(has a Teak Fetish)Dave,
Do you know of any teak suppliers? If I am going to fabricate some new steps I am going to have to buy some lumber.
I actually drew up a swim step that flowed with the lines of my boat and was going to build it and my teak supplier went out of business.
Why not buy an off the shelf one from Rex, CP or whatever and "customize" it.
Also the guy I bought my boat from had varnished the swim steps and they looked pretty good.

miller19j
04-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Why not buy an off the shelf one from Rex, CP or whatever and "customize" it.
Also the guy I bought my boat from had varnished the swim steps and they looked pretty good. When I priced it out it was cheaper to buy the material and make my own (rule #1 Miller is cheap). If I am going to go with teak I have a design of what I want and I don’t think that I could modify one to make it the way I want. It’s just that my local wood supplier went out of business.
I have a one piece wood step that is varnished and looks really nice. But it doesn’t follow the lines of the boat and now that I put a diverter on it doesn’t fit anymore (diverter hits it). I could modify that one but it wouldn’t look right. SO I am leaning towards building a new one.
PS I am still going to kick RD in the junk! :D

Dr. Eagle
04-26-2004, 02:46 PM
When I priced it out it was cheaper to buy the material and make my own (rule #1 Miller is cheap). If I am going to go with teak I have a design of what I want and I don’t think that I could modify one to make it the way I want. It’s just that my local wood supplier went out of business.
I have a one piece wood step that is varnished and looks really nice. But it doesn’t follow the lines of the boat and now that I put a diverter on it doesn’t fit anymore (diverter hits it). I could modify that one but it wouldn’t look right. SO I am leaning towards building a new one.
PS I am still going to kick RD in the junk! :D
I think MacBeath Hardwood is still around....... they have every exotic wood you can imagine....
Yes they are....... here is the link.......
MacBeath (http://www.macbeath.com/montebello.html)

miller19j
04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Here is a picture of my current step. But it is very boxy and doesn’t follow the lines of the boat. Plus the diverter hits it. I could trim it down but I think it would look funny.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/147boat_lindsey-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/141boatsa-med.jpg

miller19j
04-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I think MacBeath Hardwood is still around....... they have every exotic wood you can imagine....
Yes they are....... here is the link.......
MacBeath (http://www.macbeath.com/montebello.html)
Cool That is perfect! Thanks! :)

spectras only
04-26-2004, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RiverDave
[B]I gotta find out what we used to use.. "Cetol" ;)

boatbuilder
04-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Or you can drive past the Michael Jackson trial on Friday to Higgens Lumber and they have exactly what you want. Plus I imagine anyone with the name Miller could probably get a REALLY good deal on the fiberglass steps that came with that boat if you were to call Jim.

mirvin
04-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Hey Brad, you can totally make that step work! Just shape it! It's a good looking step and it's teak right? Cut a notch out for the diverter and round the corners or whatever! You could even cut a chunk out of the middle and make em 2 seperate steps if you want.
I've often thought I wanted a nice huge step that goes all the way across the stern but with the outdrive needing to come all the way up I'm scrood.
mirvin

mirvin
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Way to clean up that post. I bet the FCC will like it. LOL
No shit!! IT's not about four letter words, it's about using the lords name in vein:D WHich I did not do, as you can see:p
mirvin - don't piss off the religious right... I mean FCC:p