PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Tuneup

Kachina26
04-26-2004, 09:54 PM
As some of you know, I work as a driveability tech at a GM dealer. Ok, I'm a mechanic:D Anyway, today one of my service writers came up to me today and proudly handed me a repair order and said that he had just upsold a 30k tune on the truck. Cool, it's been slow so I could use some easy work. The 30k service usually includes inspection and scope check of the secondary ignition, clean the fuel injectors, etc. Well, I got out to the vehicle only to discover that it's a freaking diesel! I can't scope the ignition or inspect the plugs and wires! Heck, I can't even clean the injectors! So I drove the thing into the shop with the motor running, making all that cool diesel noise and smell and asked the writer what was wrong with this picture. Suddenly (sp) it dawned on him.:eek: What a laugh, ok maybe you had to be there. Anyway it was up for a fuel filter and the service on the Allison, so it wasn't a total loss.

fourspeednup
04-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Haha...the scheduling bitch(he hated being called the secretary) at my old shop had no clue whatsoever, that sounds like something he would do:D

PHX ATC
04-27-2004, 06:27 AM
I suppost this unsuspecting person who owned this diesel got raped for the whole charge of a 30K "tuneup?" Not that you deal with charging them, you just fix em up and serve em out the door, but that would be wrong if it happened that way.

Kachina26
04-27-2004, 09:10 AM
No, no rapes at my shop. He got charged for what was done and nothing more. If you knew half the story of what customers get away with here. We are giving a lady an ac compressor that went out after her water pump was replaced. Not our fault, but far easier than going to court. As a matter of fact I don't think we've ever gone to court on anything since I've been here. We just give it all away.

Just Tool'n
04-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Being a long time tool salesman, they do make an induction & fuel injection cleaning machine for diesels. It does wonder on a higher milage unit. I doubt that at 30k it would have done much for this truck.
In bigger class 8 trucks it it will smooth out the idle , clean up the emmissions on these trucks, plus can help add more MPG to an overthe road truck.
Show me a fleet owner that would not want to pick up 1/2MPG on these trucks.

PHX ATC
04-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
No, no rapes at my shop. He got charged for what was done and nothing more. If you knew half the story of what customers get away with here. We are giving a lady an ac compressor that went out after her water pump was replaced. Not our fault, but far easier than going to court. As a matter of fact I don't think we've ever gone to court on anything since I've been here. We just give it all away.
Glad to hear you guys run an honest shop. Maybe too honest and giving, but that'll get you more business than being a rip off artist.