PDA

View Full Version : insurance

Essex29
04-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a insurance policy for a boat that currently doesn't have a motor in it?
I only need coverage for it while on the trailer.
thanks

BoatFloating
04-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Just regular boat insurance. When they ask HP tell that your only insuring for loss until you put power in it. Then when you get power in it call them back before you go to the water.

Essex29
04-27-2004, 07:09 AM
I've checked with 5 or 6 carriers and nobody will touch it.
Not even the ones that specialize in boat's...PMA, Progressive, boatus and all the rest.

Outnumbered
04-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by TheGreyGoose
Not even the ones that specialize in boat's...PMA, Progressive, boatus and all the rest.
Why not just tell them it has stock power. If something happens tell them the motor was pulled before it was stollen/wrecked. I would not think this could be fraud since they would not have to pay for ANY motor in the claim. Just be sure they wont want to see it. I have AAA and they never required photos. They wanted/asked for them but never followed up. Been with them for 4 years.
Good luck,
OL

BoatFloating
04-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by TheGreyGoose
Wow! what kinda of boat? If it's a Cat I know why. The agent said one of the factors of high Cat insurance is that they get stolen alot. So with no motor they might wonder about it???? Try State Farm and Allstate.

BoatFloating
04-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Why not just tell them it has stock power. If something happens tell them the motor was pulled before it was stollen/wrecked. I would not think this could be fraud since they would not have to pay for ANY motor in the claim. Just be sure they wont want to see it. I have AAA and they never required photos. They wanted/asked for them but never followed up. Been with them for 4 years.
Good luck,
OL
Telling them something that is not true is FRAUD period! Most insurance companies will ask for motor serial numbers.

Essex29
04-27-2004, 07:22 AM
it's a Ultra 28 V.
None of the companies would give a reason why...I tried State Farm and still need to try Allstare.
You would think they would love to insure this type of scenerio.

Debbolas
04-27-2004, 07:28 AM
Hope this helps, here is our insurance agent's number....his name is Steve and he owns a boat.....Jetton Insurance 909-624-5419
good luck!
:D

Outnumbered
04-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Telling them something that is not true is FRAUD period! Most insurance companies will ask for motor serial numbers.
Not Allstate in my case. I understand your point but I don't see the harm/damage if they will have no additional financial loss. In fact it would be less=no motor to replace. I say no harm no foul. Hell, just go buy a 350 at the junk yard for $100 and set it in the boat until you get insurance.
I am a straight shooter but don't see this as a problem since the insurance company is not getting the shaft in any way. I think its much worse to tell the insurance you have a stock 454 when you are running a blower motor.
OL

phebus
04-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Set your lawnmower on the back, and tell them it has a Honda outboard. :D

BoatFloating
04-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Not Allstate in my case. I understand your point but I don't see the harm/damage if they will have no additional financial loss. In fact it would be less=no motor to replace. I say no harm no foul. Hell, just go buy a 350 at the junk yard for $100 and set it in the boat until you get insurance.
I am a straight shooter but don't see this as a problem since the insurance company is not getting the shaft in any way. I think its much worse to tell the insurance you have a stock 454 when you are running a blower motor.
OL
I agree with you that your not ripping them off but if that was the case why wouldn't these insurance companies insure him without power. Trust me, every insurance company looks for loop holes in the system because of all the fraud.

Outnumbered
04-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
I agree with you that your not ripping them off but if that was the case why wouldn't these insurance companies insure him without power. Trust me, every insurance company looks for loop holes in the system because of all the fraud.
No doubt this is true. But what would they do it he got insurance with the motor installed, pulled the motor to do some work or scrap it etc., and the boat was stolen with no motor installed? I would hope they would still cover him and not try to get out because the motor was out of the boat. Knowing insurance companies, they would probably try to get out of paying the claim.
OL

HM
04-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Did you specifically request that you only want insurance in the case that it is stolen with no liability insurance? If that is the case - normal auto and boat insurance companies will not insure it. I tried that with a car. Liability is their game - and for legal reasons, they cannot write personal property only policies.
Your best be is to add it to your home owners insurance under personal property and opt for stated value. This should not be a problem(unless you don't have home owners). You may even be able to continue this coverage when you get the boat running. The only problem you might have here is if you have a PLUP, and then you might have to register the boat as non-op with the DMV - or not - some home owners policies have a boat option.
I am currently doing this with one of my boats, that is motorless. My other boat is insured through AAA. My PLUP was the only snag and had to sign a non-operational form and register it that way with the DMV.

BoatFloating
04-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Knowing insurance companies, they would probably try to get out of paying the claim.
OL
We agree on that;)