PDA

View Full Version : Picked up the good as new C-500 today...

Jordy
04-27-2004, 02:01 PM
It spins effortlessly, doesn't make any grinding noises, has no hang ups. Should make a big difference in the boat.
Here are some pics:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC01053-med.JPG
Here are the gears:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC01054-med.JPG
When the bearing above let go it pretty much let the gears just beat on each other.
The rest of the bearings were really loose in their cages and in the races themselves:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC01055-med.JPG
Here is another shot of what's left of one of the shaft bearings:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC01056-med.JPG
I also ordered up a new prop shaft seal, one of the good ones that is water cooled or something like that and won't ever leak.
Can't wait to get back on the water and see what she'll run now.

HM
04-27-2004, 02:33 PM
That might rob a couple of HP.:rolleyes:

Jordy
04-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
That might rob a couple of HP.:rolleyes:
I certainly can't imagine it helping things at all.... turns really easily now, night and day from before. :D

FunOnTheWater
04-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Good to see you found it before something more serious happened:D
I will be in AZ:D next week for work, trying to drag the boat with us:cool: hopefully see you there:eek!:

ssmike
04-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Jordy:
Its all good! I am anxious to hear how "test #2" goes.
I'll bet it will put a smile on that face:D

FunOnTheWater
04-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ssmike
Jordy:
Its all good! I am anxious to hear how "test #2" goes.
I'll bet it will put a smile on that face:D
Does Jordy smile;)

Jordy
04-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by FunOnTheWater
Does Jordy smile;)
I've been known too from time to time. :D

superdave013
04-27-2004, 09:13 PM
good thing you got that sorted out.
Having a pro go through it was the best money you will have spent on that boat.
Looks like the gears were just getting ready to grenade. Those have to be getting close to 20 pounds. Could you imagin them letting go right next to you? I know I'm always preachin that but it does scare me. Now you see how people take care of their v drives maybe you now understand too.

Jordy
04-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Yeah, I'm glad that it started making noise when it did, granted rolling it over now it pretty much makes no noise compared to what it did from the first time out. The guy who put it all back together said that he "stone faced" the gears whatever that means. I just can't wait to get it all back together and back out on the water so I can forget about my previous GPS readings. :D

Blown 472
04-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Yeah, I'm glad that it started making noise when it did, granted rolling it over now it pretty much makes no noise compared to what it did from the first time out. The guy who put it all back together said that he "stone faced" the gears whatever that means. I just can't wait to get it all back together and back out on the water so I can forget about my previous GPS readings. :D
You check the timing?
Did something get twisted off in one of the bearings?

Jordy
04-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Blown 472
You check the timing?
Did something get twisted off in one of the bearings?
I haven't done anything with the engine yet. Seeing what a wreck the casale box was leads me to believe that may have been 99% or so of my problem. At least that's what I'm hoping. I do know it didn't like to turn by hand when I pulled it out, and that was without the resistance of the water and a spinning prop.

78Eliminator
04-28-2004, 07:44 AM
So when do you think you're going to be running?

Jordy
04-28-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm shooting for a re-maiden voyage on Sunday. :D

superdave013
04-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Jordy, by looking at how he mantained the casale I'ed at least put a timming light on it before ya run it again.
Blower engines on pump gas with to much timming is not good.

Jordy
04-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Good point SD. I'm going to check it out. It's not running pumper gas though (although they do pump it out of the truck at the airport), so I have a little margin in that area. Yeah, with the condition of the casale, I'm about half tempted to call and see if there is anything else that I need to be concerned about. It supposedly had a fresh tuneup and was ready to go for the season. "Everything" had been run through and checked. I do know it has fresh oil and the plugs are fresh too. Beyond that, I suppose it's anyone's guess.

ssmike
04-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Jordy,
Could you at least bring a passenger along to take some pics....:boxed:

MAXIMUS
04-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Jordy, by looking at how he mantained the casale I'ed at least put a timming light on it before ya run it again.
Blower engines on pump gas with to much timming is not good.
AMEN BROTHER!!!

VD CRUISER
05-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Well Jordy, did you try the 'new' v-drive out yet?

Jordy
05-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by VD CRUISER
Well Jordy, did you try the 'new' v-drive out yet?
Yeah, and we're still workin' on it.. :D