PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Repair

LUVNLIFE
04-27-2004, 05:00 PM
No.1.Why does Merc make it so hard to grease the u-joints? 98 bravo one.
The shop says my coupler is trashed and has to be replaced. They can't even get the allignment bar in it. People throw some prices out there so I can see if I am getting hosed. Thanks in advance:) :)

LHC30Victory
04-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Had to replace the coupler in my 97 FourWinns w/Volvo O/D.. Cost me about 500$ parts&Labor at Chongs. Did great work and gained about 5mph!
The coupler died because the last alignment was not done right so don't take it to any boat shop in Castaic:mad:

1BIGJIM
04-28-2004, 09:35 AM
I am confused. What does greasing a set of u-joints have to do with trashing a coupler? If you pulled the outdrive off and did not move the engine an alignment tool should still slide in just like the outdrive shaft. Something sounds fishy. Yes if your ujoints went out they could trash the coupler. Never heard of it though although anything is possible. The Bravo 1 is simple to grease compared to the Alpha 1 and the seal issue.

LUVNLIFE
04-29-2004, 08:31 PM
I was told that the stringers in the boat might have settled since new, it's a 98, and that will cause it or sometimes the installers forget to bend the tabs up on the lock washers and there is some movement.
BigJim the drive has never been pulled off, ujoints greased, and the allignment bar stuck in. My real bad. The mechanic said I had splines missing on the coupler.
I was told the only way to grease the ujoints was to pull the drive:confused: I would appreciate more info from anyone. Thanks;)

1BIGJIM
04-30-2004, 06:12 AM
Sorry to hear that:frown:
My advise it get a manual. They made the Bravo removal so easy a blind man can do it. Remove the cylinder arms(2 bolts) remove the 6 bolts attaching the drive to the bell housing and slide it back. The shifting cable will appear. Just lift up the little clamp and the cable slides out and off comes your outdrive. Hope that helps for future maintenance:D

LUVNLIFE
05-30-2004, 08:14 AM
In another thread I just saw that this cost a guy $600 to replace. I don't know when that was though. If that is the going price to replace the coupler in a 454mag with a bravo then I got hosed. Anybody?

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Motor remove and reinstall 8 hrs. give or take.
+ 1 hr. and $400 for a coupler.
Actual time is probably 2-3 hrs. if the guy is any good.
Kinda funny everytime I took my last boat in was told the coupler was bad and that they couldn't get alignment tool in. Think maybe they needed work? There is a zirc fitting to grease the splines.

LUVNLIFE
05-30-2004, 12:58 PM
HP what was the price they quoted you if you don't mind me asking?

HP350SC
05-30-2004, 01:08 PM
It was 9 hrs. X shop rate + $400.
I would rent, borrow or buy a cherry picker and do it yourself.
Only an hour labor to align after you drop the motor back in.

mike37
05-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by LUVNLIFE
No.1.Why does Merc make it so hard to grease the u-joints? 98 bravo one.
The shop says my coupler is trashed and has to be replaced. They can't even get the allignment bar in it. People throw some prices out there so I can see if I am getting hosed. Thanks in advance:) :)
what did your drive sound like to make you take it in to the shop
just wundering my drive started to make a nois around the drive
coupler & U joint kinda a klicking clunking nois

Krumbsnatcher
05-31-2004, 08:17 PM
the only thing that makes couplers go bad is a bad alignment and too much horsepower. I would bet that your engine mounts bolt tabs were not set after the last engine install.
Now for the ujoints they go bad if they are not greased remember when you are turning the drive is moving in different directions. It must be greased or you will ruin it. Also once the drive is out you should check your gimbal bering, and re lube then. use a grease gun on the gimbal grease fitting, pump the grease you will see grease start to come out, twist the gimbal a little then pump more grease do this until the bering is tight when you twist it.
Now for the alignment you are probably low on your front but not by much, just a guess. You will not know till you install a new coupler and try to reinstall. The aligment tool should move in and out very easily, once you get there then turn the motor over by 180 degrees and check your alignment again. Now after you believe you have it right, crank down all your bolts and engine mounts both the front and the rear. Check it again, if it goes in tight, you are mis aligned lossen up the set up make the adjustment based on either up or down.
It is an easy job, but you have to pull the motor, so when a mechanic says it will take him some time it will, but if you motor is easy to get at and remove that should all figure into the price, in a nut shell a mechanic can peform all the above in about 3 hours max.
But you should learn to do this process yourself, especially align your drive you should do this every year, it gives you a chance to check for warble in your gimbal and properly lube your drive and make your couple last.
mercstuff.com makes a really nice alignment tool at less than $100.

racer
06-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Merc recently subbed the coupler and the new one retails for 509.00 for a heavy duty version. I just installed one today and charged 5 hours for r/r of a blown engine with seperate coolers and external steering, it did however have easy access. Some boats can be done quicker some take longer. The cost also included some electrical repair.

LUVNLIFE
06-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Hey Mike it wasn't making any noises but after seeing the old coupler I m surprised. I just too it in for an allignment and that is what was found.

LUVNLIFE
06-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Krumbsnatcher that sounds about right with what other people have told me. Some settling or the tabs not bent up.

LUVNLIFE
06-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by racer
Merc recently subbed the coupler and the new one retails for 509.00 for a heavy duty version. I just installed one today and charged 5 hours for r/r of a blown engine with seperate coolers and external steering, it did however have easy access. Some boats can be done quicker some take longer. The cost also included some electrical repair.
The price I paid seems pretty close to what others have paid. Depends on motor and shop rate. I don't think I got dinged to bad.

virginia6634
06-15-2004, 05:27 AM
I had this happen on my 4.3/Alpha. Cost me $1000. Happend again a year later because the mechanic didn't bend the lock tabs. I borrowed an engine lift and did it myself the second time for about $200.

BADBLOWN572
06-15-2004, 12:47 PM
If the guy knows what he is doing and the parts are at the shop, he should be able to get it done in about 2-3 hours. I changed a buddy's about 3 years ago and it took us 5 hours which included changing the starter, distributor, and MSD system. The Merc is a simple unplug application. Disconnect engine harness, battery cables, fuel line, and exhaust hose and it is out.
The couplers 90% of the time go out due to bad alignment. The problem is that it would be nearly impossible to install the drive with extremely bad alignment. It wouldn't go in. Changes are the motor mounts backed down which caused the motor to drop. Stringer sagging, I seriously doubt. Maybe 1/8 of an inch or so, but nothing to the point that it would really effect the coupler.
We have seen couplers go away for various reasons including, mis alignment, blowing drives, wrapping the prop with something and it puts extra pressure on the drive, etc... Typically though, it is caused by the installer making a mistake.

LUVNLIFE
06-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Mine was about a grand. Iam now going to have the drive pulled for grease and realligned every year so the prob should be solved.

duffster
06-23-2004, 07:06 AM
I was told that they only need to be greased once a year. And to only use Merc grease. Is this true?