PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding question

LB Matt
04-27-2004, 05:56 PM
OK, I know jets are not anyhere near tournament boats for wakeboarding. BUT, for a recreational boarder, a 21' jet full of people should still be ok for a fun ride, shouldn't it? Especially if you install a tower on it? Anyone in here ever get off their butt and wakeboard? As always, would LOVE to hear your opinions (and i know i will LOL). Thanks.:cool:

MudPumper
04-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah it should be pretty good for boarding. I occasionally do some skiing and boarding but generally us jetters hate wakeboard boats because they **** up the water.:D

Mandelon
04-27-2004, 07:41 PM
We wakeboarded all the time behind our carrera. The boat worked fine for it. We just used the engine bracket pole, but I have seen them with towers, too.
The wake is turbulent in the middle of the jet wash, which makes it a bit squirrely, but easy to do 180 turns in the wake. The shoulders were big enough to get good air.
And then the rooster-tail lets the riders know when their time is up.....
:D :eek: :D

ryantparks
04-27-2004, 08:08 PM
I towed a buddy behind my 21'Ultra and he said that it was almost the same as his Supra but the biggest difference was that I dont have the tower and his boat does. My boat also pulled him out of the water alot better from what he told me, not that it takes too much to pull up a wakeboarder though.

DeltaSigBoater
04-27-2004, 08:25 PM
I wouldn’t put a tower on your boat; I would go for an engine-mounted pylon w/ an extension and removable support arms.
1st. Both the tower and pylon will able you to get a higher pop off the wake, thus in time being able to clear the wake. With the T&P the tow rope pulls you up rather than if it were just mounted to the ski tow on the transom of your boat, which will pull you down.
2nd. The tower is the serious choice if you’re going to be throwing X-game like tricks, with the tower the weight and pull of the rider will evenly distributed, not causing the boat to slide when the rider cuts out hard to one side or the other. However just be ready to have a new cover and possible a new bimini top made for your boat to accommodate this.
3rd. The engine-mounted pylon w/ an extension and removable support arms, is more practical if you aren’t going to be attempting any X-game like tricks. With this setup you will be able to remove the entire setup when not in use, and depending on your boat you can store it inside you boat and tow it w/o everyone knowing you’re a wake boarder. The downsides to pylons are they do not distribute weight, so when the rider cuts out hard to one side or the other boat will have a tendency to slide.
Just my $.02.

Foggerjet
04-28-2004, 04:24 AM
When wakeboarding behind a jet, make it a little more interesting.....Diverter full up:eek:
fog

1HOTGMCJET
04-28-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
I wouldn’t put a tower on your boat; I would go for an engine-mounted pylon w/ an extension and removable support arms.
Anyone got a line on where to get one of these engine mount poles for a BBC? I know somebody had posted a pic of a REALLY nice setup on here once, I asked then but got no responses - how about now? Anyone? Thanks in advance!

ssmike
04-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Wakeboarding Rules!!!
Go for it.

LB Matt
04-28-2004, 10:24 AM
i'm glad to hear the wakes are pretty good, and i'm not in the middle of the wake for more than a second anyway. water is too shallow at my river place, my current runabout I/O is good at planting me into sand bars. I have an 8' pole on this boat, but it has 4 wires (2 to bow, 2 to stern) and I'd never put it on a new boat. it was all that was available 8-9 years ago, weren't any aftermarket towers.
I will look into the engine mounted pylon first, once I find a boat to buy of course! the towers are not cheap and I know they can get in the way of the bimini, possibly. I would not make that move until I've used the boat for a while since it's a 'permanent' attachment.
I'm too young to quit wakeboarding just yet. not to worry, i'm done boarding by the time most others get up and out on the water.

CustomCruiser
04-28-2004, 10:30 AM
I'd leave the roll cage off your boat. We wakeboard behind ours using the ski tow on the transom. You should still be able to get enough air to clear the wake and pull some aerials.

LB Matt
04-28-2004, 03:29 PM
talked to shockwave, the engine mounted pole, removeable 5' above the hatch - $2000. dang, same price as a nice tower. oh well, still don't need to make a decision until I find a boat.

LB Matt
04-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by 1HOTGMCJET
Anyone got a line on where to get one of these engine mount poles for a BBC? I know somebody had posted a pic of a REALLY nice setup on here once, I asked then but got no responses - how about now? Anyone? Thanks in advance!
I don't know what a BBC is but (Barry or Larry) at Shockwave in Corona seemed to know where to get the removeable extended engine mounted pole, maybe give them a call?

fourspeednup
04-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by LB Matt
I don't know what a BBC is but (Barry or Larry) at Shockwave in Corona seemed to know where to get the removeable extended engine mounted pole, maybe give them a call?
BBC=Big Block Chevy
BBF=Big Block Ford

LB Matt
04-29-2004, 10:39 AM
LOL gotcha, thanks for the eduma-cation!

LB Matt
04-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 1HOTGMCJET
I would definitely call Shockwave, the one I spoke to him about was for a 454.

DeltaSigBoater
04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
BBC=Big Block Chevy
BBF=Big Block Ford
POSO=Piece-O-Shit Olds
sorry, but i had to put it :D

Bense468
04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by LB Matt
I would definitely call Shockwave, the one I spoke to him about was for a 454.
which is a BBC

crazyeric
08-03-2004, 08:34 PM
POSO=Piece-O-Shit Olds
sorry, but i had to put it :D
ya had to rag on the olds didnt ya!

Some Kind Of Monster
08-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Jets are great for full speed board runs.. We have contests to see who can hold on the longest on a full speed straight run. So far noone can hang on to top speed.

socalmoney
08-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Being new to this hobby an having not been on the river for a few years, (still working on getting my boat in the water). Are people putting towers on Classic Boats? I could see why someone might want that but it somehow seems wrong in my mind to do that to an old hot boat.
socalmoney

DeltaSigBoater
08-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by socalmoney
Being new to this hobby an having not been on the river for a few years, (still working on getting my boat in the water). Are people putting towers on Classic Boats? I could see why someone might want that but it somehow seems wrong in my mind to do that to an old hot boat.
socalmoney
I've seen a few guys out there with some classic day cruisers that had towers on them. Not only did it look like crap, but i kinda wanted to go over, slap the guy up side the head and say "what in the world possesed you to put a freakin' tower on your boat?"

Challenged Pimp
08-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I've seen a few guys out there with some classic day cruisers that had towers on them. Not only did it look like crap, but i kinda wanted to go over, slap the guy up side the head and say "what in the world possesed you to put a freakin' tower on your boat?"
I agree! I had an '03 Malibu VLX last summer, and hated it!! Rode like crap and cost too damn much. So now I have a 78 Challenger mini day..... It's a project, but has the potential to be way sicker than the pos wakeboard boat. I considered a tower until I saw one, and yes I thought it look pretty gay. Classic boat with a tower looks like ass.....
I finally got the mini day running a couple weeks ago and tried wakeboarding from the factory ski pole (actually pod, it's real short) and the wake is suprisingly clean. I'd say about the same as the Malibu without the tanks full and the wedge down. I also plan on installing a pole in front of the motor, maybe a short one that you can slip a 10 foot extension over so it's all removable. Still working on the interior designs. :D

CrazyHippy
08-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Some Kind Of Monster
Jets are great for full speed board runs.. We have contests to see who can hold on the longest on a full speed straight run. So far noone can hang on to top speed.
LOL... damn jet guys.....
BJH:D

Some Kind Of Monster
08-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Also,
Consider a removable tower. When it is off the boat, the only visible part is a small post. They are easy to take on and off too.

socalmoney
08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Does anyone have a picture of a Classic Boat with a tower on it?
Socalmoney

Challenged Pimp
08-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Didn't see a tower yet, but how bout this flossy ski pole! :D
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/255/178521/00411347924.jpg

Lightning
08-04-2004, 12:08 PM
A tower on a wake boat is not necessary. I board behind my boat no problems 21' jet. Can go wake to wake, etc...