PDA

View Full Version : carb overflow

Blown 472
08-29-2003, 05:17 AM
I have the carbs in line on my boat and when I get on it with the drive trimmed out the gas overflows the vents and runs out making a mess, what are you guys with inline carbs doing???
I am thinking about putting some hose on the vents to raise the level of the vents, I dont want to lower my float levels a ton.

Hotcrusader76
08-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Set the floats as you normally would for proper A/F ratio.
Then get some tubing and connect them together, drilling some holes in the top tubing. This allows hard launching without over-spilling the vents momentarily.
Here's an example of an HP950 being shipped to Germany this week for a Ford Mustang Road Racer which often encounters these issues as well.
http://www.tpcracing.com/images_temp/HP950_purple.jpg

Blown 472
08-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Kick ass, great idea, thanks. :)

MAXIMUS
08-29-2003, 07:26 AM
That works very well. I had the same problem on my sand rail & did the same hose trick. All problems resolved! :)

FastRat1
08-29-2003, 07:46 AM
do u have vent whistles in ur jet plates??
if not...i suggest installing them...cures the
problem...just a suggestion
Ron

Blown 472
08-29-2003, 08:03 AM
FastRat1:
do u have vent whistles in ur jet plates??
if not...i suggest installing them...cures the
problem...just a suggestion
Ron I took them out as I get wierd idle problem with them in.

NoGoSlo
08-30-2003, 03:04 PM
I've been running the hoses for years with 2 830 Holleys. Works great.

Infomaniac
08-30-2003, 06:16 PM
You can also cut the hose at the top. Makes the hose look flat at the top.

GofastRacer
08-31-2003, 07:50 AM
Infomaniac:
You can also cut the hose at the top. Makes the hose look flat at the top. Actually that is the proper way to vent it with hose!.. :)

JLaughreySS24
08-31-2003, 07:52 AM
Great idea!! I was going to install some J tubes I just picked up but that looks like it would work much better. I had someone tell me that putting the J tubes on you can sometimes pull fuel through them at high speeds when the carb is drawing alot of air. Is this true? I didnt think it was cause the tubes are slotted so it couldnt pull fuel. Anybody heard of this? Thanks for the tip hotcrusader!!

Hotcrusader76
08-31-2003, 09:53 AM
JLaughreySS24:
Great idea!! I was going to install some J tubes I just picked up but that looks like it would work much better. I had someone tell me that putting the J tubes on you can sometimes pull fuel through them at high speeds when the carb is drawing alot of air. Is this true? I didnt think it was cause the tubes are slotted so it couldnt pull fuel. Anybody heard of this? Thanks for the tip hotcrusader!! It's nearly impossible to pull fuel through the J-tubes, unless your carb was way to small for the application (600cfm for 1000HP jobbie :D )yeah right :D ...
The vent whistles will not affect the idle characteristics of the carb, unless they were plugged otherwise I would highly advise you put them back in.
~Ty