PDA

View Full Version : CHP Target Man for Retaliation

MagicMtnDan
04-28-2004, 05:11 AM
Jury awards $4.5 million to man who reported highway patrolman
April 27, 2004 LOS ANGELES - A California man who was repeatedly ticketed after he lodged a complaint about a highway patrolman was awarded $4.5 million after a jury found that police had targeted him for retaliation, his lawyer said Tuesday.
A jury in El Cajon on Monday ordered two California Highway Patrolmen to pay $4 million in punitive damages and $500,000 in compensatory damages for violating Steve GrassilliÂ’s civil rights.
Grassilli, 44, claimed he was maliciously cited for traffic violations 13 times in five years after he lodged a complaint against Officer Richard Eric Barr, who patrols the small town of Ramona near San Diego, where Grassilli has lived since 1990.
Several enraged jurors told local media that they decided to levy the multimillion-dollar award to send a message to the state police agency.
CHP Commissioner D.O. “Spike” Helmick said he was ”extremely disappointed and amazed” by the huge verdict.
“I disagree entirely with it. We will look at every way humanly possible to appeal it,” Helmick said in a statement.
Files complaint over removal of catalytic converter
In 1997, Grassilli filed a complaint against Barr after learning that the officer had removed the catalytic converter from his own truck but continued ticketing motorists whose vehicles lacked the anti-smog device.
According to testimony, Barr told a body shop owner in Ramona that he wanted the device removed so that he could more easily tow a boat.
“My client went to a local spot where they water ski and looked under the (officer’s) car and there was no catalytic converter,” Grassilli’s attorney Greg Garrison said. “He told (CHP), ‘I don’t care that he took his catalytic converter off, but he shouldn’t be issuing smog tickets.”’
A short time later, Grassilli was charged with filing a false police report after the CHP investigated and ruled that Barr had not removed the device from his car.
A judge quickly dismissed the misdemeanor charges but not before Grassilli ran up $7,000 in attorney fees, Garrison said.
Then came the traffic citations — for smog violations, having an obstructed view and for improperly hauling the huge water tanks that he installed for a living.
Court appearances cost thousands
All were dismissed by judges, but the court appearances cost Grassilli thousands of dollars, Garrison said.
The harassment took a toll on Grassilli’s business — driving off a supplier who also was ticketed and resulting in the impounding of Grassilli’s truck in a registration mixup, Garrison said.
“They had the discretion to do everything they did,” Garrison said. “They would never pull him over for speeding because that was an objective thing.”
A turning point in the six-week trial came when two CHP officers testified that they had felt pressured to lie under oath about the incidents.
Garrison said the case “has never been about money for Steve. He was certainly happy that he got the money that he got, but he wanted a message to be sent.”

Desert Rat
04-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Damn revenuers
Good for this guy. Abuse of that kind of power should be delt with!

manuel
04-28-2004, 05:52 AM
I always was treated OK by the CHP, it's the LAPD that made life miserable for me and helped make up my mind about leaving the state after seeing how much more human the cops were here in the south.

superdave013
04-28-2004, 05:57 AM
good luck collecting the money.
How the **** could 2 cops ever pay 4.5 mil?
It is sweet that they got busted for what they were doing. Not all cops are bad. Assholes like those 2 give the rest a bad rep.

boxscore
04-28-2004, 06:05 AM
I'm sure they won't personally be liable..... the CHP has to pony up the cabbage. Enough of those lawsuits and our vehicle registrations will once agian become silly expensive.

Essex502
04-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
It is sweet that they got busted for what they were doing. Not all cops are bad. Assholes like those 2 give the rest a bad rep.
Do they have "malpractice insurance" for CHP? A$$holes should be tossed from the force.

Chase
04-28-2004, 06:15 AM
I have to say that I have had no issues with the CHP.....:D :D :D

FastTimmy
04-28-2004, 07:15 AM
DonÂ’t **** with the people!
To many people now a days have some type of job to monitor or control the public but some ware along the line they forget they to are the public to. I donÂ’t know why, maybe itÂ’s just human nature but it seems to me that many of the people that accept a job to enforce a law or a rule whether in a business or out in the general public that person begins to think they are above that law.
Think how good things would be for all of us if those of you who use your position to get around a law/rule that you know sucks, that you instead put some effort into making that law/rule better or at least creating some awareness in your circle of doubters.
Just my .02
Timmy

Dr. Eagle
04-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Since they were basically harrassing the gentleman under color of authority, I would think the CHP would have some liability. I suppose if they have homeowners insurance it could kick in a couple hundred thou....

Dave C
04-28-2004, 07:37 AM
if I am not mistaken since they were on duty the taxpayers will pay for it.

Dr. Eagle
04-28-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Dave C
if I am not mistaken since they were on duty the taxpayers will pay for it.
Thats what I was saying. Since they did this stuff in an official capacity the CHP (your money and mine) will end up paying. That is why they need to supervise these rogue cops to keep them from doing this crap.......:rolleyes:

LHC30Victory
04-28-2004, 07:46 AM
It is my understanding that punitive damages must be paid by the defendant. The exception is that the governing body (i.e. city council etc) COULD pay the damages but they must have a hearing and find that paying the damages would be in the best interest of the parties involved.
LA got into a LOT of hot water some time back by always paying the punitive damages for officers. This practice spurned a law suit against the council and now the paying of punitive damages by the city/state must be on a case by case basis.
I echo the sentiment that abuse of power is intolerable. I think I will go find the case and read it because I DO NOT TRUST THE MEDIA TO GET THE WHOLE STORY OR TO PRESENT IT IN AN UNBIASED MANNER!!!!!