PDA

View Full Version : In Canada?

OGShocker
04-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Toronto, ON, Apr. 28 (UPI) -- Muslims in the Canadian province of Ontario can soon turn to settling disputes in their own courts, known as sharia, the Washington post reported.
Muslim promoters of sharia arbitration said no cases have yet been decided but the process is set. Islamic leaders created an Islamic Court of Civil Justice last fall and it has chosen arbitrators who have undergone training in sharia and Canadian civil law.
"People can agree to resolve disputes any way acceptable," said Brendan Crawley, a spokesman for the Ontario Attorney General's office said in an interview. He said the arbitration act has a number of safeguards, including the requirement that parties enter into arbitration only on a voluntary basis, and any decisions by arbitrators are subject to court ratification.
Jewish courts, using similar methods, have long been operating in Ontario. Such a court, called a Beit Din, deals with monetary, business and family disputes, but no criminal matters.
"Jewish courts have been operating in Toronto for as long as Jews have been here, hundreds of years," said Rabbi Reuven Tradburks, secretary of the Beit Din of Toronto. He said he had not heard of cases decided by arbitrators in Jewish courts that had been overturned.

572Daytona
04-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
"People can agree to resolve disputes any way acceptable," said Brendan Crawley, a spokesman for the Ontario Attorney General's office said in an interview.
So does that mean if someone want to use an old fashioned pistol duel or a western gunfight to solve a dispute it's allowed ;)

mickeyfinn
04-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Believe it or not a good ole fashioned duel is not illegal in the USA. A fair fight is still not a crime in this Country. The rub comes proving the fight to be a fair one. You would have to prove that each party had equal skills in the chosen method of a duel. Of course you then have the problem of one of you losing which proves once and for all that one was better than the other....LOL

NastyOne
04-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Cantards:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
04-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
So does that mean if someone want to use an old fashioned pistol duel or a western gunfight to solve a dispute it's allowed ;)
You'd have to register the guns first.

Kim Hanson
04-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
You'd have to register the guns first.
I thought we all have to do that, nail your ass fast if you kill someone :D .........( . )( . )......:p

Dr. Eagle
04-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
I think they use swords.......:rolleyes: :p

Kim Hanson
04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
I think they use swords.......:rolleyes: :p
I use a key-board..........( . )( . )......you're thinking Chinese :D .........( . )( . )......:p