PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Question

XLGPP
07-15-2003, 10:04 AM
I have a HP500 w/Whipple. I know I'm suppose to be running right at 100degrees water temp and always have been right on it, but yesterday when I went out, it was running around 130. Dustin just checked my ecu for idle prob, and it was fine. the only thing I can think of, is that I just had a new water pump impeller kit put in. Anyone else experience this?

VictoryCorona
07-18-2003, 07:03 PM
I have the same HP500EFI setup with a Whipple. I've put more than 25 hours on it since April of last year. The only time the water temperature raised up a little (120) was when I ran it wide open for a minute or so and immediately stopped and idled.
I had an external water pickup installed when I added mine.
If you didn't have this problem until you changed the water pump impeller, I'd be starting there.
Hope this helps a little.

SteveDavid
07-19-2003, 08:46 PM
XLGPP,
If the new pump is OK, is there the chance that when you previously were running 100 degrees it was in cooler waters? I find that my Whipples will run 100 or so at mid range when the ocean temps are in the mid to upper 70's. When the ambient water temp increases to 80 and above my running temps rise to 110-115. After a run of 3000 or above, they will run up to 125 degrees for a minute or so due to lower volume.
Like VictoryCorona said, I experience 120-125 if I'm wide open for 30 seconds or so, which is about the longest I'm ever WOT.
If you need help pulling apart the water pump, feel free to call and I'll walk you thru it. You just need an allen wrench and 9/16' wrench for the tensioner, a crecent for the idler pulley, 1/2 inch socket or box for the pump bolts and a screw driver for the inlet and outlet on the pump. (be sure to mark which is which before dis-assembly)
Good luck!
Steve

XLGPP
07-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Hey Steve, long time no talk.
yes the water temp is higher, but not any higher than it has been the last 2 years. even mid-summer and 115+ degrees and 80+ degree water I have always stayed at 100 (water temp). When it was hitting 130 the other day, it would come down to 110-120 often, and go back up again. besides the impeller kit, the only other difference in my boat is that new xr drive I put on. the 1st time out (with the drive) was at havasu for spring break and water was pretty damn cold. this was 2nd time out, I wonder if the difference in the water pick up and the water temp could have something to do with it. I will check impeller 1st. If it is fine should I worry about this temp???

SteveDavid
07-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Hi,
Are you running the low water pickup on the XR (instead of the pickups on the side of the lower unit), there will be intake ports on the front of the bullet (housing in which the horizontal prop shaft is housed) Generally the low water pickup will produce greater water pressure (are you running a water pressure guage, and if so what pressure are you seeing at mid range) Than the side pickups. I think you also are running a shorter drive than you did before the XR??? This will reduce the water pressure and result in higher operating temps. Also, if you have raised the drive and have the side pickups, you're probably picking up air in the upper pickups and water in the bottom pickups. This will create air pockets in your cooling pssages which will also create temperature bursts.
All that said, if you're running at least 12 lbs of water pressure at 3000 RPM or above, and the temp doesn't exceed 130 degrees you'll be fine so long as you're running good fuel (at least 92 Octane) and have the timing set in the 30-34 degree range, preferably the lower. If you have someone that can drive while you have a scan tool connected to the engine, do so at WOT and make certain your knock sensor isn't kicking in. If it is, back off on your timing until you have no knock at WOT. This becomes more of an issue with higher operating temps.
If everything checks out OK, but you're still concerned, you could add a pickup just for the inner cooler. The sea pump would then be isolated for the engine. The pickup for the inner cooler would be a force feed, no pump required as you don't need to cool the fuel until under load, and at that speed you'd be forcing water to the inner cooler. Those kinds of pickups are available from several sources including Stainless Marine. It will mount on the rear and bottom on one of your sponsons, protruding about 1/2 inch below the bottom. You'll then run a line from that pickup to the inner cooler and put it where the current bleed off line comes from the raw water pump.
If you need any help, just call.
Steve