PDA

View Full Version : East Coast motor talk

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Ok, so, here we go.
To Leland,
First, yes my numbers sound high to me too, that's what I'm to trying to get to bottom of! 990's are the GM square open chamber and they have be CNC'd and flow 320@.700 lift.
My e.t. and speed numbers came from about two years ago. I bought my hydro in CA and spent the summer out there racing with the previous owner. My boat ran 8.30's 125's consistantly. My motor dynoed at 820 with my bottle on. The blower motor that I purchased was in another hydro (previous owners also) and that thing was walking all over me. High 130 low 140 all day long. We were on multiple sets of clocks through the summer and was still consistant. So, the motor came up for sale and I have it now. Like I said earlier, the motor runs hard cause' I saw the ass end of it alot! But my equipment-power ratio is pretty high. The owner dynoed it and said 1027hp and I never questioned it because it always ran like it. Somehow paper work was lost on dyno time so no proof has been seen. I don't have any clocks around here so I'm in the dark. Gotta a radar gun, but we know that it isn't anywhere near as accurate as clocks.
Your right about the dyno, two here and Maine and they read a good 75hp difference. So, it makes you wonder! Still, I'm a little unsure about this power plant. BUT, it ran the numbers so I guess I shouldn't fuss! E.T. and MPH mean alot more than dyno readouts! Maybe it's just a near perfect setup. Mike Kuhl originally designed and built the motor, I don't know him personally but I do know he knows what he's doin'.
Whattya think?
D Kid

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 11:22 AM
D KId,
No dought you have a good motor. I have seen motors with chev. heads run real strong. Had one. A little blow up took care of one head and I never could match it. You are just going to have to do a little towing and come down to race with us hillbillies. We ribb each other a lot but we have a great time. We all tow to the races together, have a convoy. John from Fl. even comes to go with us. You are right dyo don't mean much. Its what the boat does when it hits the water. A real good boat combo will out run more hp anyway. How did the boat pull the 32s when you ran it last summer?
I am running 45s in my cole but with a 16 prop. when I rum the 17 it likes 40s better. I think the dimarco is about the same mold as a cole-deaver-RBR, they have been around. These boats like hp and can take a lot and still run steady. I sure have wondered off the hp subject but maybe somebody else will share some thoughts on your motor.
Later 383

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 11:22 AM
D KId,
No dought you have a good motor. I have seen motors with chev. heads run real strong. Had one. A little blow up took care of one head and I never could match it. You are just going to have to do a little towing and come down to race with us hillbillies. We ribb each other a lot but we have a great time. We all tow to the races together, have a convoy. John from Fl. even comes to go with us. You are right dyo don't mean much. Its what the boat does when it hits the water. A real good boat combo will out run more hp anyway. How did the boat pull the 32s when you ran it last summer?
I am running 45s in my cole but with a 16 prop. when I rum the 17 it likes 40s better. I think the dimarco is about the same mold as a cole-deaver-RBR, they have been around. These boats like hp and can take a lot and still run steady. I sure have wondered off the hp subject but maybe somebody else will share some thoughts on your motor.
Later 383

Infomaniac
12-09-2001, 11:42 AM
Kid: Don't you hate getting kicked off a thread? I have yet to see one that does not stray off topic.
The winter is too long to try and second guess engine decisions. Sounds like yours is a done deal. Your boat is a lake machine? If so you should not have any trouble with competition. In fact if it is like my experience last summer. People take one look at it and do not want anything to do with it. It is a very long season with no one to race. I raced my friend only because he brought his race boat out.
There are at least 1/2 dozen boats like yours out here. Some run good and some do not. The difference seems to be the owner's ability to make run properly regardless of what the dyno says.

nitro557
12-09-2001, 11:58 AM
hey kid even if i run a ford can i join in the fun,i dont know much about running one on gas but switch to the good stuff and we need to talk,one thought about the lake anna thing do you still want to have drags on the private side either friday or monday

hydro066
12-09-2001, 12:18 PM
To everyone: Fresh blood here. So if I screw up, don't come down on me too hard. Hello to Leland and PE857 - seems like only yesterday since I talked to you guys. Gee, I guess it was yesterday,huh? Also - Dimarco Kid - hello again! I see that my 32's from sunny Fl didn't do the trick. Small world, huh. I have a set of 40's that I don't need anymore. If those will work I might be interested in the 57's. I really wanted 54's but the others will get me close. I also recall you talking about your mag and tach combo. I don't think the MSD promag has a tach output either. All you need is an Autometer signal converter (Autometer #9118 @ about 45 bucks). I have an Autometer playback with a Mallory mag 3 and it works great. I also checked the sheet a few minutes ago and it will also work with internal coil mags by using a different output on the box. Later

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 12:48 PM
Hi 066,
Glad to see you finaly got on. I told D Kid your motor was around 750hp. I do mean was. Anthony and I are going to make sure that it is not that anymore. Up or down we don't know, as long as you keep sending money. Speed kills, especialy the billfold doesnt it. Back to D Kid. HIs motor sounds a lot like yours and his boat is a lot like mine. Does he meed a stick of dynomite? what do you think. Just kidding Kid. I think he is rumming 11.5x 17 prop, a little bigger than yours and more pitch than mine. Should his gears be a little smaller? If that motor is 1000hp he may need to go more. Lots of I dont knows here. But there is plenty of help out there and we have all winter to talk about it.
Later383

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 01:54 PM
All right boys!
NOW we got a real thread goin' YES!!!!
This is what I got so far,
A gentlman e-mailed me and he rattled off some things I had never heard. He said Kuhl used to build a engine package called the River Rat. Iron heads, iron block, 6-71 two 1050's and he rated it @ 800hp. That sounds more realistic to me. It's funny he said that too because I have the How To Supercharge book by HP books on the back of the shitter and in there they show a Kuhl River Rat motor. It's IDENTICAL to mine, same everything even the scoop up top. So it leads me to beleive it was a motor package that was bought complete and has has minor work during freshen ups. He didn't say anything (maybe he doesn't know) about what cam and type of porting work came with the package. Also mine is a 490 cube now and I'm not sure what Kuhl engine started life as. Not quite sure if their is 200 more hp in all this work but it has been done.
He even asked if my hydro was a lake designed hydro. Small recess in the center of the hull under the motor will tell you it's a "lake designed" hydro. It is, and that's something I never knew! I did call Ron Braaks and he said that most of these came from the same mold with just a few small differences, to confirm your statement Leland.
066, whatsup!!!! I think I'll stay with 32's right now (unless someone comes up with another set I could try) because it seemed to run hard with these. Didn't play much last summer and had no clocks but it would pull like a freight train! And yes, it is ALL lake boat! I don't have a choice up here in "my Uncle Dad" country!!! We just got electricity last week let alone boat racing.
I'm anxious to here back from the man who e-mailed me, he seemed to know his stuff. He must of read this and mailed me. Maybe he should post some stuff on here, we love company. Thanks alot so far you guys, and I am going to take you up on that offer about goin' racin'.
My dist problem, MSD has a Mag listed with a electronic tack output. I THOUGHT that was my only hope in running an electronic tach. Tell me a little more about what you did 066, do you have a part # maybe for this part? And it's definately good to here from you!
D Kid

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 01:58 PM
Sorry 066,
I'm too friggin stupid to see you already posted the part # for me. Duh, hooked on phonesex worked for me!
Also, if you want I would trade the gears if the 57's would work for ya, let me know.
D Kid

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 02:52 PM
D Kid,
Looks like 066 had something else to do. That 800 figure does sound round to me. If the 32s worked good on the lake, the 40s might be good to have if you go racing. I dont think anybody runs a full pass on the lake. water, boats,trach,ect. A full 1/4 is a long run. Does your boat have outbourd steering. I didnt know about the recess in hull. Do you have any idea about the boat weight? These things are normally about a ton heavier than those Kurtis boats, like some I know 857,066, not to mention any names. If you do have the nerve to lake ride the boat, it should hold up good.
What nobody talked adout was really the most important part of your motor, torque. The blower motor may not have that much more hp than your old one but I bet it has a ton more torque. That is why you can run a lot bigger gear. You blower guys just make me sick. I want on so bad. Santa Jim are you reading this. D Kid maybe this will wake somebody up.
Later383

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Hopefully Santa's listening!
Your right, probably not much more ponies but would wrap that NOS motor up like a Christmas present!
My boat does have OB sterring and I figure the boat weighs in the 500's. Three big boys can walk around with it. I'm not 100% sure about the exact number. Yeah I know, that Kurtis is the ticket, BUT mine is a two seater which I would never change. I love taken people for Banzai runs! I would try the 40's if 066 wants to make a trade.
D Kid

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 03:20 PM
D Kid,
Did I read that you were at a Del. valley race? What can you tell us about then? I have ask this on some other sights but with no response. If they are run what you brung, I dont want any part of those blown alkys. You know the ones.

hydro066
12-09-2001, 04:25 PM
D Kid
Back again. We can swap those gears if you want. I think I still have your address somewhere-if not, i'll get it later.
The mag converter is a 5-wire hookup (2 are grounds). I think I got mine from Jeg's. They're not in the catalog but they keep them in stock. I also noticed that Ishamaru in dragboats.com classifieds has them also. I have bought a bunch of stuff from him and he is a super guy to deal with.
The 800+hp sounds about right. Mine was supposed to have been dyno'd at 800 to 850 (depending on which time I talked to him). Your's is set up close to the same with the exception of heads (Dart 320's) and carbs (750's). With bigger carbs I may have hit that 800 number - that's why we surmised the 750 number. The motor sounded like a beast but it didn't run like one. Oh well, as they say - wait till next year!
Did someone mention weight? Which reminds me - Mr. Bailey, when are you going to drop the motor back down in "The Barge? Oh, I'm sorry-I meant "the cole".
Later, 066

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 04:46 PM
The barge {cole}was going to get the motor today but my crew chief had to work. Maybe next weekend. It will be in before you get yours back. so, whats the hurry anyway? We are both ahead of 857. His is still in the boat. I got a response back about the Del. valley races on the other east coast boaters sight. No clocks. Ill let you blower guys go up and run D Kid. Maybe they have a small block class I could run in?
Your turn,383

wideopen545
12-09-2001, 04:54 PM
hey kid ive got two v drive boats iam parting out props shafts ride plates double axle trailer and a ton of parts also have jet parts two let me know tim

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 04:58 PM
Yeah 066, I'm up for swapping gears. I probably don't have your address anymore so we'll have to go over that again. My motor does sound like a "sister" to yours. What does your boat run for times. You have a two speed right?
Leland, DVBRC has a website did you know that? I have their web address in my contacts. Let me know if you need it. They have a rulebook right on the site. And, no, I have never been down there to race. I gotta get down this coming season. I do know the guys that are on here and race the club have a hell of a good time and always have seemed very nice. Maybe we all need to go?
066, how does that connector work? Where does it hook to the dist? Maybe I'm being blind but I have to be honest, I don't know. I will have to get one, cheaper than an MSD and the box to go with it! Keep in touch,
D Kid

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 05:02 PM
Wideopen,
If you have ride plates I take it these are flatties your parting out? And what degree are you v-drives your parting out.
D Kid

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 05:19 PM
I just heard back from the guy who has shed some light on my boat for me. He says "lake" Dimarcos were laid up heavy (800lbs) and drag were laid up lighter (500lbs). Mine might weigh 800lbs but that seems heavy for me and two buddies to lug. Maybe we're just burley boys and don't realize our own strength! NOT
D Kid

wideopen545
12-09-2001, 05:28 PM
hey kid check your mail and give me a call both boats are flats the boxs are a cassell stright cut and a hillbrand i thint one has new stanless turns and over ride handle and foot pedals let me know

hydro066
12-09-2001, 05:56 PM
D Kid,
The connections for the converter are:
Switched 12v
Battery(-)
Tach trigger wire
Coil(+) or in your case-mag term.
Negative side of kill swi.
Don't let Leland BS you - that "barge" can kick major ass!!!
Later 066

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 06:05 PM
I run a Vertex mag currently, this should work with my dist? Sounds like what i should have for sure.
Thanks man,
D Kid

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 06:18 PM
066, do you run an intercooler?
I'm turning this 6-71 so hard I really would like to have one. Look cool too! That's alot to do with it!
D Kid

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 06:23 PM
Have you heard from 857 today. He emailed me earlier but then nothing else. I thought the blower motor comment would get him fired up.

hydro066
12-09-2001, 06:39 PM
Leland,
No, I haven't heard a word from him today. I talked to him awhile last night. It's not like him to keep quiet. Maybe he's pouting!
D Kid,
No intercooler-just a 6-71 Littlefield. I was pushing 13# boost with 19 over pullys. The setup is for sale right now-making room for bigger things.
Later, 066

Leland Bailey
12-10-2001, 05:39 PM
D Kid,
Does your boat have 1 or 2 inch stringers? Im betting on 2. Always dont mean always on these boats. If that thing is 800 I dont think it would have run 8.30s at only 125mph. Probably 9.30s at that speed. I had a friend with a lake Hondo with out board steering, you would think that thing would be a tank. It was lighter than my drag boat.
A lot of the boats were ordered to somebodys specs. so you never know what they were planning to do with the boat. The only way to know is to weigh it, to be sure. I would bet 500 to 600.
Later 383

superdave013
12-10-2001, 06:41 PM
Hey DK, you still thinking of comming out next season for the v-drive regatta? Opps, sorry to get ya off track with west cost talk.

sgdiv7
12-11-2001, 05:37 AM
Hey Superdave, sorry to get off track but when is the v drive regatta.
Bill

Dimarco Kid
12-11-2001, 01:13 PM
Hey Guys,
Superdave, I'd like to try to make it next year, still got room in you boat for the little lady and I?
Leland, I think I am going to weigh it, no better time than now. I do know it was classified as a "lake" hydro because it does have wide stringers, straight stringer rails, and 1" driveline. My output of my Casale is 1 1/8 so I have to use a reducer. If I change my driveline how big should I go? Bigger means more weight also I would imagine. Also, the guy i bought this from is still standing to his word on the power my motor makes. It won't go like it did in the Sanger if my boat is raelly 800lbs or so. But it still should go good. Just gonna keep putting the thing together one piece at a time! Thanks alot guys for all your help.
D Kid

Cole 383
12-11-2001, 05:31 PM
D Kid,
Because your boat has a 1 inch shaft doesnt mean it was a lake boat. Back in the 70s and early 80s that was the rule not the exception. All the pro gas boats ran 1 inch stuff. The blown alkys used 11/8. Two inch stringers doesnt mean lake either. Just means you have a sturdy boat, blown alky stuff. As for the guy you got the motor from,thats his story and he's sticking to it. May be all true. I do hope you got what you paid for. The boat and moter combo should be a dynomite ride and a safe one. Just get that thing off the lake and to the track. Come on down and give old 066 a dose. I am mad at him anyway. Just because I had one red light per race he wanted to call me the red light kid. 066 you have yours coming. This should really get the S--- stirred.
Later 383

Dimarco Kid
12-11-2001, 05:59 PM
You right Leland,
I think I'll have a nice combo when I'm through. I would much rather have my boat heavy and solid than anything else. It does ride well for a hydro and has never even tweeked the gelcoat. As far as my motor goes, I'm gonna call Kuhl tomorrow. The guy who had it told me too, Kuhl did all the work to it and should remember or have some type of record of it. It's all done so I'm going to run it, but I'm just being curious. I stole the motor, put it to you this way, even if it only made 500hp I got a screaming deal! I'm happy with my setup and look forward to some WARM friggin weather!
As far as 066 goes, I'm not putting my foot in my mouth! His boat obviously screams and I'll wait till I see it before I shoot my face off!! LOL I'm pretty hard on the pump boys but when it comes to another hydro I tend to be a little cautious!
D Kid

Cole 383
12-11-2001, 07:06 PM
Something serious,
I just got an mail that said Roger Boat Voice is back in the hospital. Some heart problems. It didnt sound good. If any of you boat guys have a mind to, please give him a prayer. I know I will.
Thanks Leland

hydro066
12-11-2001, 07:07 PM
Man, this is an interesting (and informative) place. I've spent the last couple of hours reading through some of the past stuff on here. I've noticed several guys that have put out a wealth of knowlege and helpfulness.
One topic from a few weeks ago sounded familiar. The topic on blower hubs and keyways. Last year I sheared a key on mine. Luckily, it was on the trailer before the boat ever hit the water. Needless to say, the crank came out, was double keyed, and a blower hub was added.
D Kid,
Check your e-mail.
Yes, one red a weekend is not so bad - but does it always have to be on a Sunday?
Later

Cole 383
12-12-2001, 05:06 AM
It must be those big blower motors sitting on the other side of the pontoon boat huffing and puffing,making so much noise that Im not sure my little engine is even running. It must be the fear factor kicking in. I guess i'll have to take a nerve pill this year. Any of you steel nugget blower guys have one?

Cole 383
12-22-2001, 05:38 AM
D Kidd and Friends,
We kind of let our sight go. D Kidd must have dug out of his cabin up in the great northeast. Everybody must be christmas shopping. 066 finding a tool kit? 857 finding a 1471?
I have been doing a little shopping for my wife too. I think she will love her new powerstroke tow truck. The girls sure get good presents, don't they. Anybody else getting a good boat gift for thier wife?
Merry Christmas 383

Dimarco Kid
12-26-2001, 06:36 PM
Still here,
Getting the holidays wrapped up, I hope.
066, I totally forgot about the gears until they came in the mail! Sorry man, yours are going out tomorrow. I'll be in touch some more soon,
God Bless
D Kid