PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun

Boozer
04-28-2004, 09:54 PM
I recently got an idea.
Back in the day I had a sports car with a manual transmission. Because of the shitty climate I decided to put a remote start on my car but heard a lot of horror stories about people forgetting to put their cars in neutral then firing up the remote start and the car going into a wall or house or whatever because the remote start keeps trying to fire until the car sees 1500 RPM.
A friend of mine installed the remote start for me and used a window sensor found in home security systems. He said that the sensor; when aligned; creates a positive charge and only in neutral the sensor would be alligned so the starter would have a positive electrical charge to it and when in gear the car would not start because the circuit was incomplete. It worked.
I came across a siren for an alarm and want to put in my brothers car. He works nights and sleeps during the day so I have plenty of time to install this thing. Theoretically could I not do the same thing my friend did with the remote start but whenever the sensor gets alligned due to the car being in neutral the siren goes off?
My brother is a lazy bastard and if i buried, the siren in console of his car he will drive it for a week before he decides to try and take the siren out. The thought of the alarm siren sounding everytime his car goes into neutral makes me laugh. I would really love to make this idea a reality.
Can it be done?

RiverToysJas
04-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Much easier just to hook the brake peddle up to the horn. ;)
RTJas :D

Boozer
04-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Much easier just to hook the brake peddle up to the horn. ;)
RTJas :D
Sure but that would be something he would fix the same day.
The more I think about it the more I realize something. If I were to muffle the siren enough that yu would hear it very faintly he would leave it in there for weeks if not months thinking "What the hell? Is there really something going on or am I just crazy? What the hell is that?!?!?" Since he is so lazy it would iritate the hell out of him but he wouldn't do anything about it other then get severely annoyed for a long time. He'll probably even want to take me for a ride and ask me to listen for it and I can just play stupid and say I don't hear anything at all.
I figured I'd outgrow the urge to torment my younger brother as I got older but I'm getting older by the day and still want to torment him. WTF? Is this normal?

CrazyHippy
04-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Those really neat plug in back up light beepers. Just replace teh standard bulbs with these, and.... Beep beep beep...hehehe
Other good one is alarm siren hooked up to the stereo power output... turn the stereo on, and.....
BJH:D

fourspeednup
04-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Horn to the headlights----my personal fav:D
I would think you could do something by utilizing the neutral safety switch. How? I'm not sure but maybe talk to kachina26, I believe he's in the automotive trade
Is it a manual or auto trans?

Boozer
04-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
Horn to the headlights----my personal fav:D
I would think you could do something by utilizing the neutral safety switch. How? I'm not sure but maybe talk to kachina26, I believe he's in the automotive trade
Is it a manual or auto trans?
Its a manual.

Boozer
04-28-2004, 10:19 PM
His car wont start without the clutch engaged so I could probably just wire it to the clutch switch as well.

fourspeednup
04-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Boozer
His car wont start without the clutch engaged so I could probably just wire it to the clutch switch as well.
How bout every time he engages the clutch then? That'd be kinda cool too:cool:

rvrpig
04-28-2004, 11:33 PM
My brother once had a older chevy truck with a manual. He wanted a way for the truck to nto be stolen. So instead of dealing with an alarm he wired a switch to the clutch and the truck would only start with the clutch in and the transmission in REVERSE. Figured a robber would not take the time to deal with the fact that it HAD to be started that way.

Her454
04-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
I figured I'd outgrow the urge to torment my younger brother as I got older but I'm getting older by the day and still want to torment him. WTF? Is this normal?
I grew up with 3 brothers just like you...............:rolleyes: :D

PlaneNutz
04-29-2004, 02:58 PM
I did the same remote start on my Honda. I went to Radio Shack (because the've got answers) and bought 2 sets of magnetic window contacts for a home alarm. I epoxied the magnets to the stick just under the shift boot. One foward of the stick to detect 1,3, and 5 gears. The other one was on the rear of the stick for 2,4, and R gears. I mounted the wired side of the switches to angle brackets just far enough away from the stick so that they would not make contact if it was in neutral. It worked perfect for the 4 years that I owned the car. I've done the same thing to 2 other cars and never had a problem.
Hope this helps!