PDA

View Full Version : blower question

flattie
04-20-2002, 04:34 PM
I'm ready to start my new engine & I was wondering times I should pump the gas on this thing I don't want to give it to much because it a new engine. I have 2 holley 750 dbl pmp on it. Or do these things need a shit load of fuel to start?

Snowboat
04-20-2002, 05:27 PM
I would turn on the electic fuel pump until it pressures up, to fill the bowls and make sure your needles seat. If its a mechanical pump,take all of the float level plugs out and fill them up with a funnel and small piece of vacuum hose. Make sure the tanks, fuel strainers, and filters are full of gas.

flattie
04-20-2002, 05:34 PM
yes I have an electric pump. Just wondering how many good squirt it should take?

DetroitJim
04-20-2002, 06:47 PM
If it is cold out, give it one full pedal then close the throttles, wait about 10-20 seconds and crank it with the throttles closed. Be careful not to open the carbs up very far at all with no chokes or it might backfire which is bad for the rotors and splines. I use the chokes on mine, they help a lot. Make sure you have the timing advanced far enough or it will start hard.
DJ

DEEZ NUTTS
04-20-2002, 07:13 PM
Should be ready to start my new motor next weekend or so. I chickened out and put the stock intake and carb on for break in. My new Blower Shop 871 has no pop off relief at all. This is my first blower but it seems for the just in case it should have one running a gilmer belt. Anyhow did I waste my time and future time?

Drew
04-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Never a waste of time if you do not feel confortable ona new set up. just my .02. You should run some type of pop-off or you are asking for trouble unless you run a ribbed belt not gilmer.
When you start a blower motor cold it has been my expierance that you should never give it any throttle and if it starts to lean and die let it die don't try and pump the throttle or IT WILL BACKFIRE. You have to get some heat in the motor before it will take the throttle very well. You can static set the timing just like you would any other motor. Looking forward to starting on in about 3 weeks. Not the first but always a fun day!!!

flattie
04-21-2002, 10:36 AM
I have good spark. The problem is everthing is new. I don't know where to start. I have tuned it over, but it doesn't even pop off or sound like it wants to start. any ideas will be helpful I have checked the timing and firing order a couple of times even had someone else check it to make sure I wasn't missing anything

Snowboat
04-21-2002, 03:59 PM
Do you have any wet plugs to show that the fuel has made it to the chambers? Dumb as it sounds, do you have it wired to take into account that the engine may be backwards from what you are accustomed?

flattie
04-21-2002, 04:21 PM
No wet plugs. Also it wired correct checked it a few times to make sure. I just don't want to dump too much fuel into a fresh engine. and have it backfire. I have plenty of time to think about this instead of doing somthing wrong. because its snowing here right now I won't be boating anytime soon.

blowncarrera777
04-26-2002, 10:50 PM
flattie, let elct pump run till pressure is up and pump twice and crank it. I have no idea why but was told on blower motors pump it twice and crank it. has never failed to work yet. my 2 cents

Snowboat
04-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Did you start it yet? Pretend like its someone else's, its easier.

flattie
04-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Yes the bitch is alive and barking!!!!
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/dacf806f/bc/pictures/DSC00380.jpg?bc8S5G9AHh.lLmqu

Kurtis500
04-27-2002, 08:57 PM
They take a good 2 full pumps of fuel from DP's to kick mine over cold Sounds like you got it.