PDA

View Full Version : The Pledge of Allegience

Scream
04-29-2004, 10:41 AM
I get an email update from an ultra right wing group. Some of the stuff is usefull and some is way out there. This came up today so I thought I'd share it with you folks.
--------------
Yesterday, Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) omitted the words
"under God" as he led the House in its daily recitation
of the Pledge of Allegiance.
The omission drew immediate criticism from a number of
members of the House, reports the Washington Times, including
Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) who said, "The liberal wing of the
Democratic Party launched yet another salvo today in its ongoing
battle to drive a wedge between Americans and the values and
ideals we hold dear."
Grassfire is appalled that an elected official could so disrespect
our nation, and is calling on all 601,546 Americans who
have signed our Pledge petition to take immediate action by
contacting Rep. McDermott's office.
We want to flood his office with thousands of phone calls, and
faxes over these next several days, but we need your help!
Here's the contact information for Rep. Jim Mc Dermott:
Phone: 202-225-3106 (Washington D.C. office)
Fax: 202-225-6197
For his District Office, contact:
Phone: 206-553-7170 (Seattle, WA)
-------------------
Many of you may or may not know that 18 months ago, the 9th circuit court of appeals right here in the good 'ol bay area found that the Pledge of Allegience was unconstitutional because one athiest man thought his daughter should not have to say the workds "Under God". His daughter didn't complain and his estranged ex wife didn't either, the one with the actual custody of the little kid. Just another 9th Circuit blunder in my opinion.
Congressman McDermott has a web pressence here (http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/) and can be commented to via email.

OGShocker
04-29-2004, 10:43 AM
This guy is THE card carrying member of the I am an A$$hole Club:mad:

Scream
04-29-2004, 10:44 AM
No kiddin, here's what I wrote him:
"I'm not sure how to categorize my comments here, so here goes. I am obviously not in the Congressman's constiuancy but I believe my concerns are relevant and would like them to be aired.
According to a news report I read this morning, Congressman McDermott led the United States House of Representatives in the Pledge of Allegiance and purposely excised the phrase "Under God" from the pledge. This undoubtedly unleashed a hailstorm of criticism upon the Congressman, and appropriately so I might add.
As a parent, I regard the rule of law to be a pillar to our community, and I teach my children to respect it unequivically, but it seems Congressman McDermott has bypassed the Congress and declared war on the Pledge of Allegience for political reasons. As an Eagle Scout, I find it distasteful that the Congressman has decided at this time in our country's history to wage this assault on our most heavily endeared values of God and Country, and as a Citizen I find it reprehensible that the Congressman has made his stand on this issue on the wrong side of what is right and just...in my opinion. Congressman McDermott, I certainly hope the good people of the state of Washington will understand what is at stake here and send you a clear message to abandon your Jihad on our Pledge of Allegience and get back to serving the good citizens of this country."

Her454
04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Scream
"I'm not sure how to categorize my comments here, so here goes. I am obviously not in the Congressman's constiuancy but I believe my concerns are relevant and would like them to be aired.
According to a news report I read this morning, Congressman McDermott led the United States House of Representatives in the Pledge of Allegiance and purposely excised the phrase "Under God" from the pledge. This undoubtedly unleashed a hailstorm of criticism upon the Congressman, and appropriately so I might add.
As a parent, I regard the rule of law to be a pillar to our community, and I teach my children to respect it unequivically, but it seems Congressman McDermott has bypassed the Congress and declared war on the Pledge of Allegience for political reasons. As an Eagle Scout, I find it distasteful that the Congressman has decided at this time in our country's history to wage this assault on our most heavily endeared values of God and Country, and as a Citizen I find it reprehensible that the Congressman has made his stand on this issue on the wrong side of what is right and just...in my opinion. Congressman McDermott, I certainly hope the good people of the state of Washington will understand what is at stake here and send you a clear message to abandon your Jihad on our Pledge of Allegience and get back to serving the good citizens of this country."
Very well written, and I completley agree.

LaveyJet
04-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Yesterday, Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) omitted the word "under God" as he led the House in its daily recitation
of the Pledge of Allegiances
I bet he can still find ways to spend our money. Every bill in my wallet says "In God We Trust"

Debbolas
04-30-2004, 06:31 AM
Excellent Point!

RJ Nordic
05-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Tell ya what..I am a school Principal and I lead our 1200 kids, many of them from waayy down south of the US border, every day in the pledge over the PA system, and it's going to be when Havasu freezes over that I don't say "under god" in the pledge.
We had a discussion at the district level one day and I made my point very clear.:D

ahhell
05-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Matt, Can i plagerize your letter to this bung hole...i'd like to right my own, but at the moment im helping Australias economy by drinking the shit out of some Foster's and i dont think it would come across the same...more like," Shut the hell up you fargone icehole....bitch"...you know:D

Forkin' Crazy
05-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by RJ Nordic
Tell ya what..I am a school Principal and I lead our 1200 kids, many of them from waayy down south of the US border, every day in the pledge over the PA system, and it's going to be when Havasu freezes over that I don't say "under god" in the pledge.
We had a discussion at the district level one day and I made my point very clear.:D
Two thumbs up! :)
We need more like you in the school systems.... yea, congress and the senate too!:cool: