PDA

View Full Version : Diffrent header question

beerjet
04-01-2006, 12:09 PM
How much am I really gonna lose by running water through my headers.

Squirtcha?
04-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I ran the same set of jethotted Bassetts both ways and didn't gain, or lose a thing. Same rpm and same speed (gps). Did it several times just to be sure absoutely no difference.

beerjet
04-01-2006, 12:47 PM
You know thats what I though but a friend of mine (who doesnt own a boat)is just so dead set on me running them dry because "The exhaust pulses are slowed down by the water ." WTF !

Moneypitt
04-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Some motors actually like additional back pressure...........MP

Squirtcha?
04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Like I said, mine neither liked nor disliked it. Same same.
It's such a small amount of water I seriously doubt if it would make a measureable difference on any motor.
I had heard of guys running remote shutoff valves under their seats etc. and thought I'd give it a try before plumbing everything. Glad I did. I probably saved a couple hundred in stainless and fittings. Definitely not worth it on my rig.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim actual gains from shutting off their water. Some like the loud crackling sound (myself included) but I don't remember hearing "Oh yeah, I picked up 200 rpm and 3 mph just by shutting off my water".
Mine are individually valved at the spiders and I can still shut em off with the flick of a wrist before a race if i want.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/p1010003t.jpg
Stole that idea from LVjetboy. Thanks jer.

Tahiti350
04-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I ordered a Banderlog valve earlier this week, and ordered the full throttle race cut out kit with it. Full throttle option shuts off water for 13 seconds, then turns it on again automatically. Will put an override switch inline, but wanted to keep the options available.

IMPATIENT 1
04-01-2006, 06:19 PM
i've done a before and after with a gps and there's no difference i can tell.i'm installing a remote controled on/off valve in frt. of my t-ball valve just because i like to piss off bass fisherman :crossx: :crossx: .plus in my area, there are no patrols with decibel gauges.i just run a little perforated pipe in my headers so if they look up in em, they think they're muffled.most of the time i just run open headers.