PDA

View Full Version : Whipple or procharger on a 454?

THOR
07-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Can you run a whipple or procharger on a 454? Not an EFI or a MAG, just a stock 454.

BoatFloating
07-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Only if you want to tear up that motor. That way you can rebuild it with good guts......

Infomaniac
07-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Stock engine - Put a Holley or Weiand single carb low profile blower on it. Just run 4 or 5 pounds of boost. Change the cam.
That will wake it up quite a bit.
Good exhaust will be a big plus.
If you have the coin for a Whipple, I can get you a good deal. It will easily make more boost when you upgrade the engine internals and run at lower boost for now.
[ July 23, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

THOR
07-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Infomaniac:
Stock engine - Put a Holley or Weiand single carb low profile blower on it. Just run 4 or 5 pounds of boost. Change the cam.
That will wake it up quite a bit.
Good exhaust will be a big plus.
If you have the coin for a Whipple, I can get you a good deal. It will easily make more boost when you upgrade the engine internals and run at lower boost for now. How much are we talking about?
10K installed?

THOR
07-24-2003, 08:50 AM
What if it is a 454 MPI? Any difference.

DEL51
07-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Start from the bottom and work your way up. I am refering to your drive,if you can handle 800 hp then roll up yer sleeves. Play it safe with a stock outdrive and leave some details for the guys on the board.They will offer some "right on" advise

A/OAL
07-31-2003, 10:31 AM
thor,
MPI + procharger= dog out of the hole and melted piston

hbhallett
08-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Go with a whipple. Unfortunately I went the other way {procharger) and regret it. I bought a used carbureted kit (carb enclosure style) off the internet. Guy says it was on a Merc 454 engine but will fit any BBC. Well it finally does fit after making custom spacers on a lathe, coming up with a custom intake at the inlet of the turbo due to interference with the IMCO exhausts, making a custom mount for the water to air intercooler, removing the engine /oil pan to get the return oil line plumbed accordingly, revising the oil system to enable oil supply to the turbo (this one issue can be overcome if you get a self lubricating turbo). Don't forget a new carb jetted for the turbo, new clay smith high volume fuel pump, new aeromotive regulator, oh yeah you're going to have to plumb a return for the fuel system back to the tanks. Todays' project getting the throttle cable hooked up. All these tasks take / require fabrication time, aluminum, fasteners, AN fittings, braided stainless, and machine tools. I hope you have plenty!. These guys at Procharger claim their kit could be put on in a weekend - I suppose so if it was a self lubricated turbo with exactly all the correct pieces for your application - better do your homework - If I had to do it again I would go with whipple. I see you live in HB if you would like to have a look at my "little" project give me a call, I'm a local home boy-

BoatFloating
08-01-2003, 08:04 AM
A/OAL:
thor,
MPI + procharger= dog out of the hole and melted piston Not true, if you don't dial in any system your going lean it out and melt a hole in piston. They both have there + and - .

A/OAL
08-01-2003, 08:34 AM
boatfloating...I have a friend that has the same setup mpi/procharger and is have the same problem could you help us out with some info on dialing it in? we have went up and down on the reg, when we fatten it up on top then it floods out the bottom and the cat never planes , when we get it just right as soon as we hit full boost 5 psi it will hit 1350 degrees real fast.