PDA

View Full Version : Torque Questions

Just Tool'n
04-30-2004, 09:56 AM
I had a customer tell me that he did not want this torque wrench, because it did not torque left hand thread bolts, to which I ask "how many left hand fastners do you see", he just looked at me with a blank stare.
So my questions to you gear heads, is how many left hand fastners do you guys see.
Besides lug nuts.
In my 19 years of selling tools it has never really been an issue.

Oldsquirt
04-30-2004, 10:28 AM
In nearly 30 years in the auto repair industry, besides from some Chrysler lug nuts I've never seen any left hand threads on anything other than 2 screws on the windshield posts of my 56 Austin Healey.
Think maybe he just decided the wrench was too expensive and that was his "out"? :)

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
05-03-2004, 02:57 PM
THE FLYWHEEL ON MY 56 QUICKSILVER MERC 30 CU IN OUTBOARD WAS LEFT HANDED THREAD, GLAD I THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE I GOT THE B I G BREAKER BAR TO LOOSEN IT UP, TUNRING IT THE WRONG WAY.
AT THE MARINA WE HAS A EUROPEAN TWIN SCREW ALSO, SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, ALMOST NEVER...BILL.

Fiat48
05-03-2004, 05:57 PM
I seem to remember VW flwheel nut was left hand thread. And a few cam gears on somthing or other.:D

victorfb
05-03-2004, 07:21 PM
no, the VW flywheel gland nut is not left hand thread, but it should be. it wouldnt need to be torqued to over 300# then. i think some of the pullers (tools) are. i know i have a couple tools that have left hand thread. and if im not mystakin, the piston return spring tension adjuster has left hand thread. (but dont quote me on that) :p

Foggerjet
05-04-2004, 04:42 AM
I absolutely need one that torques left-hand. I build lots of rear ends and many GM's use leftys on the ring gear bolts. I have 2, a 3/8" and a 1/2". both from Snap-on. When you buy a torque wrench, buy the very best one that you can afford. Don't skimp here.
fog

78Eliminator
05-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Fiat48
I seem to remember VW flwheel nut was left hand thread. And a few cam gears on somthing or other.:D
Hahahahaha!!!! So you've been through one of those too, eh? :D
Seems like everyone who builds motors has been through a volkswagen at one time or another. There is no escaping them!

Blown 472
05-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Old mopars and buicks had left hand threads on the left side wheel studs.

roostwear
05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
My Halibrand knockoffs on the driver's side. Other than that, just the Mopar lugnuts.

SteelBee
05-06-2004, 06:06 AM
Nut holding on serpentine belt idler pulley on an '88 460 (twisted off the bolt trying to get the pulley off:( , which is how I found out).