PDA

View Full Version : Hows this for engineering

jackpunx
04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
This bridge is between Sweden and Denmark ... Picture taken from the side of Sweden.
The bridge ( or should it be called tunnel) goes under water to allow movement of ships.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943underwater_bridge.jpg

HCS
04-30-2004, 11:57 AM
That's pretty cool. It looks like the highway to hell.

BarryMac
04-30-2004, 12:03 PM
That's gnarly, it would suck to be in the tube if the tunnel ever collapsed.

Quality Time
04-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Similar situation in the Chesapeake Bay I believe.

hboldno7
04-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow, thats is awesome. Thanks for sharing

Dr. Eagle
04-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Quality Time
Similar situation in the Chesapeake Bay I believe.
that is exactly right. They went under the bay for the ship passage in the Cheaspeake Bay. Similar design...

superdave013
04-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Just think of all the smokin hot blondie chicks that go down that thing. ;)

Stupid Fast
04-30-2004, 12:36 PM
I would hve a hard time getting used to going under that....i hope they have some big pumps incase it ever springs a leak!!!

Rexone
04-30-2004, 12:38 PM
an abnormally high tide or tsuami could be a bitch.
cool pic. :)

LaveyJet
04-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Got me curious now, have to see how it was built.
Make an island?
excavate a tunnel?
Make an island from the spoil from the tunnel?
build a bridge?
might have cost a buck or two.

boxscore
04-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Ship movement? hmph

Quality Time
04-30-2004, 01:22 PM
LaveyJet,
Discovery had a great documentary on the Chesapeake. Don't recall all of the details, but yes, they built islands, before they started tunneling. The spoils were taken off site. Yea I know get a phuggin life. I'm an engineer, what can I say besides my damn boat isn't here yet:mad:

Froggystyle
04-30-2004, 01:35 PM
There is actually two on the Chesapeke Bay Bridge tunnel, and one of those on the Hampton Bay bridge tunnel.
When I was stationed in Little Creek, VA. I used that to get to work nearly every day. Some days I actually took a jet ski to work, because I lived on the beach in Hampton, and worked on a dive boat in Norfolk on occasion. Either way, it was a 25-35 minute drive with traffic or a 7 minute jet ski ride. You choose!
I used to dive off of the fourth island on the Ches tunnel. Good diving, and the tunnel and island made a cool little un-natural reef. I think I speared a fish called a Tautog or something there. Fighting son of a bitch. I never really knew what it was called. Sounded like that though.
Many legends exist of a submarine driver accidentally running into the tunnel. None true of course, but a pretty funny thing to tell new guys. Especially since there was a spot on the side of the tunnel that had new tile on it for some reason.

NastyOne
04-30-2004, 01:36 PM
If it were me, I would have put a Particle accelerator at each end so you can just be tellaported to the other side.

LaveyJet
04-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
This bridge is between Sweden and Denmark ... Picture taken from the side of Sweden.
The bridge ( or should it be called tunnel) goes under water to allow movement of ships.
after some reasearch about construction, methinks this actually the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia.
Good ole Yankee engineering at its finest, :D :D :D
This is the Sweden-Denmark bridge (http://www.bridgephoto.dk/search/details.php?id=2002112106)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/943underwater_bridge.jpg