PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out the ride on a flat bottom...

Drunk tank
04-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Okay.... I've been trying to figure out ways to smooth my ride out and get my shit to stop pretending its a dolphine. Aside from placing a 300 lb girl on the bow while I'm cruisin... I dont know wtf to do.
Here's a pic of the rear or the whoopty
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1551Boat_Rear.jpg
I'm thinkin about gettin a place diverter this summer but would like to know if that would help solve my troubles
http://www.rexmar.com/page128.html
Should I consider a ride plate or something similar? Considering i have cav plates... dont know if theyd go well together or if cav plates are better than a plate anyhow.
I'm so confussed :confused: and It'd be kinda nice to not crack my elbow on the hull everytime i hit some ruff water.... plus my ass is tierd of bouncing on a shitty seat....
:confused:

superdave013
04-30-2004, 12:37 PM
have you tried to adjust those plates?
I know moving them only a few flats at a time makes a big difference in a v drive flatbottom.
I would think those will do way more then a ride plate would.
To bad they are not hooked to a foot pedal so you could move them when you drive.

bocco
04-30-2004, 12:47 PM
My 20' V-drive is a V bottom. My plates are electrically adjustable. When I got the boat they were adjusted such that all the way up was flat with the bottom of the boat. I checked it with a straight edge. I then adjusted them to be 1/4" up from the straight edge. Now it will porpose a little if it's all the way up and stop with just a little tap down. Try adjusting them flat and straight and then work from there.
Gary

ronwil
04-30-2004, 01:48 PM
It looks like we have the same boat as you, a 1980 sanger. We dont have any cav plates or ride plates and it rides straight as an arrow. Have you checked to see if you have a hook on the bottom of your hull? If you dont have a hook try to take the cav plates off and see what that does.

hack job
04-30-2004, 02:27 PM
form what i have read about those boats that the had a bad problem with the porpose. and there want too much you cna do about it.:( we had a 74 eliminator that was the same way . we bought it cheep and then ended up gettig rid of it after doing some reading.
i would try and put a place on it. or maybe a wedge( if you have split bowl or are getting one) to push the bow down a little bit.
just my .02
by the way it looks like a very clean boat;)

Nucking futs
04-30-2004, 05:58 PM
That there looks like a nordic,had a 74 and the boat didnt have a prob.set the plates 2 degrees up from the bottom and try that,thats where mine worked the best and then spend the money on the place div. money well spent.

AdrenelineOD
04-30-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a bouncy Bahner (19') in the rough water. Since I got the Diverter I can control about 75% of the bounce with it.
I would say take the others advise and the diverter is a must.

Big Proppa
04-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Install a droop and move the motor forward. Cool looking ride by the way.

Mohavekid
04-30-2004, 06:45 PM
You are way ahead with those cav plates instead of just a ride plate.
Try adjusting those plates down a little and add a diverter, that should solve your propoise problem.

Bow Tie Omega
04-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Have you tried running the boat in calm water???:D Sorry, I could not resist. I think that a hydraulic or electirc cavitation plate/ trim tab would be the only way to go. Good luck and sorry about the humor...Joe