PDA

View Full Version : Condensation

fat rat
07-17-2001, 04:15 AM
Is condensation normal in a blower motor?

DetroitJim
07-17-2001, 04:31 AM
A guy I run with has always had "mayonnaise" form inside the tall valve cover breathers on a intercooled BBC. It is simply that the added blowby, low engine temps from cold lake water, running in a very humid environment, chilled intake air and aluminum breathers being hit by the breeze all contribute. He ended up using a puke tank mounted up high behind the blower.
Jim

fat rat
07-23-2001, 06:02 AM
Thanx Jim, I'll probly have to do the same it looks like. Ran it a second time still getting the mayo effect, no water or foaming in the oil.

RVR JUNKY
08-04-2001, 02:35 PM
Hows it going Fat Rat? I have a 25' Warlock with a blown 502 and I get that same condensation in my valve covers. I've talked to quite a few engine builders including the guys at Teague Custon Marine and they all say it's pretty common. I don't know where you might be running your boat, but im usually up and down the strip in needles and the water there is pretty darn cold. Anyway, I guess it's nothing to really worry about.

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
08-08-2001, 02:36 PM
Hey all....Condensation is pretty common in most cases. I build blower motors and rig jets. I have had great success using a crankcase evac system. The system thats plummed directly into the collector area of the headers. It does a great job scavanging the water vapor that builds up in the rocker area. The other way is to build your next motor using a vacuum pump and puke tank. Thats the ultimate way to go. I also have had good success by adding a manually operated water shutoff vavle mounted next to my seat. I usually run it half open to cut down on the amount of time the water stays in the motor which in turn builds a little heat. I can actually run my jet at around 150-160 degrees and this has several advantages. 1) It eliminates condensation and 2) It allows the engine to build the proper heat which also builds horsepower. the best thing of all is that it is FREE HORSEPOWER. The differnce between dead cold and 160 degrees can usually be 30-70 hp increase depending on the motor. If your engine begins building to much heat just open the valve a little more until the temp goes back down.....FREE HORSEPOWER and NO CONDENSATION.