PDA

View Full Version : Windoze

Cheap Thrills
05-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Linux for development
Mac for production
Windoze for solitaire :D
if youre bored with windoze try this on for size .
www.mandrakelinux.com
C.T. :wink:

GlastronGuy
05-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Are you offering support for everyone who tries to install it?

Cheap Thrills
05-01-2004, 07:44 PM
It's just as easy if not easier than installing a 2000/XP system !
If you just want to see what a LinuxMandrake OS looks & feels like theres a version called "MandrakeLinux Move"
wich is a bootable CD that boots a small mandrake OS on most any computer that can boot from the CD rom. the public release is a free download for both LinuxMandrake and Mandrake Move .
Heres a download link for Mandrake Move (619MB)
Mandrake Move (ftp://ftp.cuhk.edu.hk/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/iso/MandrakeMove-i586.iso)
heres a link for MandrakeLinux download page.
LinuxMandrake 10.0 (ftp://ftp.cuhk.edu.hk/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/iso/)
If you have trouble with the above links try going in this way.
Download Front Page (http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3) Any hoo. :)
Have a great evening

GlastronGuy
05-01-2004, 08:15 PM
You don't need to use the command line or LILO to install/run?
I have Knoppix on a CD that I run in case Windoze has virus issues and I can't access some of it's services.

Cheap Thrills
05-01-2004, 08:27 PM
no command line to install the mandrakelinux system. it has a "Gooey" interface kinda like windoze . Easy as pie .
the mandrake move doesnt require any installation just insert the mandrake move CD shutdown the computer completely and restart . (make sure that the CD rom is set to boot before the hard drive in the BIOS.) when your computer reboots it will be mandrake .
and when your finished with mandrake remove the CD and restart your computer and your back to your windoze system Groovy eh? kinda like a dual boot deal but not . Ive tinkered with the mandrake move a bit on my XP laptop with no problems.

GlastronGuy
05-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Sounds just like Knoppix.
I have a server that runs XP. I have an additional 120 GB hdd in it. I was thinking of dual booting Linux on that partition.

Cheap Thrills
05-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Ihavent heard of Knoppix Ill have to look it up when I get free from this basket of snakes behind my servers. Im always looking for new stuff to confuse myself with :D
Hope you like Mandrake , Everyone Ive turned on to it has liked it .
Cheers :D

Cheap Thrills
05-02-2004, 01:47 PM
KnoppiX Gets a thumbs up !
And
Thanks for the heads up . GlastronGuy.
:D

Essex502
05-03-2004, 06:14 AM
Solaris 9 for any serious work!
BTW..."Gooey" = GUI (Graphical User Interface)