PDA

View Full Version : TECH HELP....cutting diamond plate?

clownpuncher
05-02-2004, 01:23 PM
I need to cut some peices of aluminum diamond plate. Nothing fancy, mostly just straight cuts without turns or holes.
What's the best tool to use? I'd like a plasma cutter, but, ain't gonna happen.
I was thinking a jigsaw with a metal blade? I'm also gonna need to smooth the cut edges. Belt sander?
Where do I buy this stuff?
Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Roland

Flying Tiger
05-02-2004, 02:01 PM
I use a sawsall with a fine metal cutting blade. The finer the blade, the finer the cut.
Tape or clamp a straight edge like a piece of wood as a guide to get a perfect cut.
If you use a surface grinder (not recomended, and you shouldn't, but people use them anyways) with a cutting wheel, use both a face shield AND safety glasses. Chunks fly and you'll get hit with molten hot aluminum.
The sawsall works best & cut the backside of the Diamond plate.
I won't be out your way until Mid June,, but you can use one of mine if it helps any.
You can buy them reasonably at Home Depot.

AdrenelineOD
05-02-2004, 02:39 PM
You my call me crazy but...... I use a SKill worm drive saw with a nice carbide cross cut blade. cuts it like wood. Tape where you don`t want scratches. Hope this helps:D Brad

Cheap Thrills
05-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
You my call me crazy but...... I use a SKill worm drive saw with a nice carbide cross cut blade. cuts it like wood. Tape where you don`t want scratches. Hope this helps:D Brad
Ive had good results with that method but always used a light ply blade and ran it backwards .
C.T. :wink:

BahnerBabe
05-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Try Norther Tools....they have a store in Sanberdo

Flying Tiger
05-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Remember to wear eye protection. It's real cheap at Home Depot or at Lowes.
Don't want to read a post that you got hurt.

repo man
05-02-2004, 07:33 PM
i use a skill saw too

Froggystyle
05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Many ways to do it. For straight cuts, use a shear which should be available at the place you buy the diamond plate. Usually about $2 per cut, which is worth every penny for perfect cuts.
For small curves or other cuts, I will cut from behind (the flat side) so you don't mar the finish, and use a good quality, non-scrolling saber saw with an aluminum blade. Make sure to go slowly, or you will heat-short the aluminum and stick it to the blade and it will appear useless. If it stops working, and looks clogged, go cut a little hardwood with it and that will clean it off.
Have fun!

SchellSchock
05-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Skill Saw Carbide tipped blade, Jig Saw, use a light coat of WD-40 to prvent galling and build-up on cutting edge.

schiada96
05-03-2004, 10:59 AM
bring it by and I'll shear it for you

truksnboats
05-03-2004, 12:09 PM
This weekend I was making some pieces of aluminum diamond plating for the trailer and I used my plasma and it worked fine, just needed to file down the sides a bit. Your best bet it to use a shear, it leave a much better edge as well as beight perfectly straight.

CustomCruiser
05-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Home Depot sells Skill Saw blades designed specifically for soft metal.