PDA

View Full Version : 455 Olds water in oil

TahitiBoss21
05-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I know these motors are notorious for moisture in the oil, and i'm aware of the culprits. But i'm still having a problem with moisture in the oil.
I am running a stock olds motor/berkeley jet with a water valve turning the pressure down to normal from the pump. The oil filler neck gets white jelly in it, and there's droplets on the dipstick, making the oil milky white. The oil level does not come up, so it's a small amount causing my problems.
I am running a stock valley pan metal intake gasket and hear from this board that those are no good? I can pull the manifold, but doubt the water's leaking from there, just isnt' enough pressure.
I think it might be the hardin marine exhaust logs. Have any of you run into problems with these leaking cooling water into the exhast ports? I have never looked inside of the riser, is there a flapper, check valve or something in there?
I guess what i'm asking is how have you guys fixed this problem? The motor was completely gone through a few years ago, and it stopped the problem for a little while, but it's back again, and last time it cost me a spun bearing and crankshaft.
I don't think its the timing chain cover either..but i think the plate is a little corroded. Any help would be great! thanks...jay

wet77
05-03-2004, 07:07 AM
What is your engine temp at idle after about 10 min run time?
Also when you make a WOT pass what does your temp do?

wet77
05-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Also when you had your motor work done did you have the heads resurfaced?
What kind of head gaskets did you use?

Duane HTP
05-03-2004, 06:11 PM
A good place to start is to get rid of the Turkey Tray intake gasket. Get a good one from Mr. Gasket. Then make sure your engine temperature gets above 140*F or so when you are running.

diggler
05-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Amen to getting rid of that piece of crap valley pan gasket. I had problems until I used the Mr. Gasket set for my Olds.
the part # is 5846
Also, get someone that knows what they're doing to re-seat the intake manifold. Never use the front and rear rubber gaskets, just use a big bead of RTV to form the perfect seal. Also, if you want it perfect, use ARP bolts as you can get a box wrench on them a hell of a lot easier than trying to force an allen wrench in the bolts as you're tightening them.

HotDogz
06-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Oldsmobiles have the centered siamesed exhaust ports that require you to block the exhaust crossover to prevent warpage on the Edelbrock manifolds. If your crossovers are not blocked this can warp your manifold. My old manifold warped on both sides by the center bolts. Was letting moisture into the oil, not alot, but showed in the oil. And definately get rid of the turkey tray. Mondello makes a lifter valley tray that works pretty well.

HotDogz
06-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Also, you should not use the water valve to regulate water. Can make your heads run hot. If you arent using a thermostat, then when you go through a long no wake zone, you are getting minimal water to the heads and then when you finally get on it, the heads get a surge of cool water that can cause cracking in between the valves. Get a four port thermostat and leave your water valve open all the way.

1HOTGMCJET
06-17-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by TahitiBoss21
I don't think its the timing chain cover either..but i think the plate is a little corroded. Any help would be great! thanks...jay
I've heard several times that corrosion on the front plate has caused issues with water in the oil, I'd take it off and make sure there isn't any migration of water into your oil......Good Luck!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Do you have a stock cam? Your exhaust logs could be bad! Start with the intake manifold and timing cover. Thats where they leak first! Also, check to see if you have any water in your FUEL! I was chasing water in the oil all last year and found out that it was in my gas:mad: :mad: a few weeks ago!

JET-O-VATOR
06-17-2004, 06:58 AM
I had a bad intake gasket and my oil was milkshake and drained it, flushed the motor and fixed the intake... no more milkshake at all...