PDA

View Full Version : LHC Home question - I need your input!!!

summerlove
05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Ok, here's my dilemma:
I am in the process of purchasing two side-by-side lots in Havasu for investment purposes. I intend to build two homes on them, and in an effort to control costs and build the best house for the money, I want to build the same floorplan with elevation changes to the house to make it look different from the street. Now, here's my dilemma:
Both homes would be 3 bed/2 bath and both have limited lake views.
I don't know if i should build a 1,500 sq foot house with a 50' deep motorhome garage with 12' doors plus an additional 2 car garage, or
a 1800 sq ft house with a garage that is 40 deep by about 35 wide with 8' doors. This is the house I have, and the garage is adequate for my boats. My trailer is 30' from front to back and I still have about 10' of room.
What do you guys think - I need to mak my decision soon as we'll be closing on the lots in the next couple of weeks, and as the saying goes, time is $$$$$$.
Thanks for the input!
Rick

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-03-2004, 04:10 PM
we have been looking for a house with a garage for sometime that is atleast 35 and above.. they are very hard to find.. so I think you should think about going with a big garage and maybe a few small. Just my 2 cents.. hope it helps..;)

mbrown2
05-03-2004, 04:16 PM
How about an 1800 sq ft garage and a living space that is 35x40....then you got your priorities right....j/k:D
If it were me, I would try and do the 35 by 40, but have one of the doors taller....never know when you might want to store that future diesel pusher...

summerlove
05-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
we have been looking for a house with a garage for sometime that is atleast 35 and above.. they are very hard to find.. so I think you should think about going with a big garage and maybe a few small. Just my 2 cents.. hope it helps..;)
so, you'd take the motor home garage option?

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
so, you'd take the motor home garage option?
yes I would.. we need anything from 34 and above..;)

Sun burners
05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
How much house do you need? Can you add on later,
BIG GARAGE RV Garage would be great now.
Can you build a Casita in the back?
just some thoughts
Mike

TRIMDOG
05-04-2004, 08:49 AM
I think Havasu is definitly a place where a motorhome garage is an asset, not an eyesore. My wife's uncle bought the lot next door to his house there in about 89' and built a huge motorhome garage and shop on it to protect that 300k plus "pusher". I would definitly make the two homes "reverses" of one another, and do flat concrete tile on one roof, one piece "s" tile on the other, etc.. but you probably are thinking along those lines already. I just finished doing a garage enclosure on one of our places there that is about40' deep, and it is really nice to have that much depth. Just my .02

superdave013
05-04-2004, 08:57 AM
I just showed this to a co-worker who is looking for a place as we speak. He's looking for more along the lines of #1.

bigq
05-04-2004, 10:11 AM
what are you going to do when the lake dries up in 5 years? Won't need a big garage then.;) J/K (I hope)

summerlove
05-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by TRIMDOG
I would definitly make the two homes "reverses" of one another, and do flat concrete tile on one roof, one piece "s" tile on the other, etc.. but you probably are thinking along those lines already. I just finished doing a garage enclosure on one of our places there that is about40' deep, and it is really nice to have that much depth. Just my .02
Yes, we're going to reverse the homes, with the garages on the outside. we're also going to vary the color of the homes, tile roofs and pitch of the roofs, to make them look different.
The MH garage we're considering is 12x50 with a 12'6" door, and the house is about 1500 sq ft. of living space.

summerlove
05-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
I just showed this to a co-worker who is looking for a place as we speak. He's looking for more along the lines of #1.
I think we're headed with option 1 also, it's just more expensive to build which makes it more expensive for a buyer. We were just wondering if from a boaters point of view if the full MH garage would be a major selling point or would a sizeable garage (12x50x8) be adequate?
I appreciate everyones comments, so please post away!
Thanks

little rowe boat
05-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Is this the home built by Verde homes. I think we are going to build with the RV garage.

summerlove
05-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
Is this the home built by Verde homes. I think we are going to build with the RV garage.
Verde is definitely one of the homes I'm considering. The other is Bridgewater...Here's a pic of the Bridgewater home (my exisitng home):
http://www.oursummerlove.com/LAKEHAVASU94945.jpg

Essex502
05-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Verde is definitely one of the homes I'm considering. The other is Bridgewater...Here's a pic of the Bridgewater home (my exisitng home):
http://www.oursummerlove.com/LAKEHAVASU94945.jpg
STAY AWAY FROM VERDE. I am told by several locals in the Real Estate business that Verde Homes has one of the highest complaint rates of all the builders.
We are using Summit to build our second home there and they also built our first. DBU is also very good. Diamondback came recommended to us as well.
As to your question...why not build one of each? Then they will really look different at first glance. The motorhome garage is definitely the way to go if you are only design.

summerlove
05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
As to your question...why not build one of each?
Economy of scale - we all win - me, builder and buyer.
The motorhome garage is definitely the way to go if you are only design.
That's what I'm thinking...but it does add significant cost. What would you rather have, a garage that is more than adequate and more living space (+/-1800 sq ft) or a bigger garage and about 1500 sq ft +/-? I'd like your thoughts Mike! Thanks

One Particular Harbor
05-04-2004, 04:03 PM
We have been thinking about a lake home and, personally, a 40' x 35' garage with 8' doors would be more than adequate for our present and future needs. We would probably be more attracted to the extra 300 square feet of living space.
Just my lousy $.02.
OPH

Ziggy
05-04-2004, 04:13 PM
That's what I'm thinking...but it does add significant cost. What would you rather have, a garage that is more than adequate and more living space (+/-1800 sq ft) or a bigger garage and about 1500 sq ft +/-? I'd like your thoughts Mike! Thanks
Yo Summerlove,
My buddy works for Summit designing homes. Are you currently having a house done by them? He mentioned that someone from the boards(in particular OP6) was doing a house with him...just curious because he couldn't remember a screen name.;)
BTW-he has mentioned to me that big garages are practically the norm now with orders, especially the step down ones in order to stay below the height limits...not many of the locals are doing it though:D

phebus
05-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Verde is definitely one of the homes I'm considering.
Summerlove, a friend of mine used Verde, and he was very unhappy. Let me know if you would like to contact him for feedback.

Garrddogg
05-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Im goin with Dreager const! Warlock showed us a "cheap" little house with an RV garage for like 122K,it seemed pretty kool,BUT we decided to go with a "dreager" home (south western style)Good luck..
I also sent my down payment today..The boat ,the house "shit I love it when a plan comes together!"
Heres a lil link to checkumout.
http://www.rc.state.az.us/clsc/AZROCLicenseQuery
:D

Garrddogg
05-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Force 26
Im goin with Dreager const! Warlock showed us a "cheap" little house with an RV garage for like 122K,it seemed pretty kool,BUT we decided to go with a "dreager" home (south western style)Good luck..
I also sent my down payment today..The boat ,the house "shit I love it when a plan comes together!"
Heres a lil link to checkumout.
http://www.rc.state.az.us/clsc/AZROCLicenseQuery
:D oops,I should have said less expensive!:idea:

summerlove
05-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Yo Summerlove,
My buddy works for Summit designing homes. Are you currently having a house done by them? He mentioned that someone from the boards(in particular OP6) was doing a house with him...just curious because he couldn't remember a screen name.;)
I haven't looked into summit. PM me your buddies name and # and I'll give him a call! Thanks
Rick

summerlove
05-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by One Particular Harbor
We have been thinking about a lake home and, personally, a 40' x 35' garage with 8' doors would be more than adequate for our present and future needs. We would probably be more attracted to the extra 300 square feet of living space.
Just my lousy $.02.
OPH
OPH - (By the way, my favorite song):
I think you said what I'm feeling - a deep garage of 40-50' and 8' high doors will meet the needs of almost all boaters in Havasu. The MH garage, while a definite benefit, may not be worth the money if you don't need one. But, they sure are nice...;)

Essex502
05-05-2004, 06:08 AM
The extra garage space will more than make up for the slightly smaller square footage of the residence when it comes to rental or resale. Snowbirds in particular seem to love those RV garages. Plus, snowbirds, I would think, won't mind missing the 300 sq ft.
We're doing a new house with Summit right now...we speced a three car garage with 2 slots 28' deep and 1 slot 38' deep. Total width of the garage, I think, is 36 or 38' wide. The deep slot was been widened by an extra 2' over the model. (The model is their Regal floorplan). Total square footage of the house is nearly 2,000 sqft. We are sinking the garage 1' to give us 10' ceiling height and 9' tall doors. Think about sinking the garage is there is any elevation change on the driveway. Doesn't cost much and well worth it if it flattens the approach.
We'll be out this weekend and if you are too look us up in Steamboat on Saturday and we can discuss it more. :)

shadow
05-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Summerlove, I've got a 3 car with a 40' deep for the boat here in Havasu. I know once my boat is in the garage it all of a sudden seems a whole lot smaller.I'd definately opt for more garage if we were to build again.
I'd go for the 1800sqft garage and 35x40 living space.If the wife would fall for that.(yeah right:rolleyes: ).
I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

summerlove
05-05-2004, 07:14 PM
The extra garage space will more than make up for the slightly smaller square footage of the residence when it comes to rental or resale. Snowbirds in particular seem to love those RV garages. Plus, snowbirds, I would think, won't mind missing the 300 sq ft.
We're doing a new house with Summit right now...we speced a three car garage with 2 slots 28' deep and 1 slot 38' deep. Total width of the garage, I think, is 36 or 38' wide. The deep slot was been widened by an extra 2' over the model. (The model is their Regal floorplan). Total square footage of the house is nearly 2,000 sqft. We are sinking the garage 1' to give us 10' ceiling height and 9' tall doors. Think about sinking the garage is there is any elevation change on the driveway. Doesn't cost much and well worth it if it flattens the approach.
We'll be out this weekend and if you are too look us up in Steamboat on Saturday and we can discuss it more. :)
We won't be there this w/e - we were there last w/e! Oh well..Anyway, the garage I think I'm gonna build is 40 deep by 36 wide, with 8' doors and a 9' ceiling. House is approx 1939, but then again, I may go with the smaller house and the 50' deep garage...decisions...I'll let everyone know next week what I decided....:confused:

Sun burners
05-05-2004, 07:30 PM
My new house is going to have a 44' deep and a 34' bay for the future upgrade to a 30'+ boat plus a bathroom in the garage.
I think the RV garage was about $15'sq ft more so we went with some other upgrades instead.

Essex502
05-06-2004, 09:34 AM
We won't be there this w/e - we were there last w/e! Oh well..Anyway, the garage I think I'm gonna build is 40 deep by 36 wide, with 8' doors and a 9' ceiling. House is approx 1939, but then again, I may go with the smaller house and the 50' deep garage...decisions...I'll let everyone know next week what I decided....:confused:
If you can, I'd sink the garage to give you a 10' ceiling inside it...I have just enough clearance to stand up inside our boat in our present 9' ceiling'd garage. With a bigger boat and I won't be able to stand up fully. I think we're paying something like $2K to sink the garage a foot.
We'll be back out on the May 21/22/23 weekend and agian in June a couple of times.

summerlove
05-06-2004, 09:43 AM
If you can, I'd sink the garage to give you a 10' ceiling inside it...I have just enough clearance to stand up inside our boat in our present 9' ceiling'd garage. With a bigger boat and I won't be able to stand up fully. I think we're paying something like $2K to sink the garage a foot.
We'll be back out on the May 21/22/23 weekend and agian in June a couple of times.
I'll ask the builder about the drop garage. It would be nice to have that extra foot.
I'm not sure when we're due back out - school schedules, etc....definitely the w/e of the 11th for at least 4 days.

bohica
05-06-2004, 10:00 AM
When I had my house built 10 years ago, it was no problem sinking the garage floor a foot. I have a 52' deep drive thru on a corner lot, with 8 ft doors on both ends. My buddy just built last year and wanted to do his garage the same, but the builder would only sink the front portion to allow 8' doors and would not do the rear, so the floor sloped towards the front and could only put 7' doors on the rear. Builder was adamant about it, said too many problems with drainage, and even said find another builder if you gotta have it. So check with your builder first.
;)

dkreuzen
05-06-2004, 03:21 PM
The MH garage we're considering is 12x50 with a 12'6" door, and the house is about 1500 sq ft. of living space.
I suggest you increase the height of the RV garage opening to at least 13'. My MH is advertised as 11' 6" in height but is is real close to 12' and so is my neighbors MH. My RV garage opening is 13' and I wouldn't want it any lower as my short radio antanna hits pretty good as it is.
Remember that Havasu has a 15' overall height limit (over the grade hieght they issue you) so you may have to sink the RV garage below the rest of the house. I sunk mine 3' and that made it about 1-2' above the street which is 100' from the front of the garage so the driveway is almost flat.
Dennis

summerlove
05-06-2004, 03:23 PM
thankls for all the recent suggestions - you all just made my decision harder!!!!:eek: ;)

Mr.Havasu
05-06-2004, 05:02 PM
LOL. That's what usually happens when you ask for help around here! Ask 100 people a question, get 100 different opinions. What ever you decide I'm confident it will turn out good. The way real estate has been going up in Calif and Havasu pretty much gaurantees success. Most of us are happy if we can park our boat in the garage. The RV garage is just icing on the cake! Talk to you soon,
Michele

OutCole'd
05-06-2004, 05:03 PM
I've got a suggestion, sell me one of the places real cheap.:D

RiverPirate
05-06-2004, 06:26 PM
The bigger the better. I have a 3 car, one 36' deep with two 28's. They look plenty big until you boat a baot and gear inside. The plus side for the RV size is it increases the number of potential buyers down the line. Oh ya I almost forgot, add a toilet and sink to the garage. You would be surprised how much use it will get. Much shorter walk while your stumbling.:D

phebus
05-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by RiverPirate
Oh ya I almost forgot, add a toilet and sink to the garage. You would be surprised how much use it will get. Much shorter walk while your stumbling.:D
Or bleeding from some stupid accident in the garage. ;)

RiverRatMike
05-06-2004, 08:54 PM
There is a vacant lot next door to my home here in Havasu. wonder if they will ever build on it.

LAST DANCE
05-06-2004, 09:25 PM
If you need a great painter please call me....Sun Color Painting,928-230-9979