PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento River level dropping!

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 08:56 AM
When our ***boat fourm went down this morning, I was (frantically) searching for another forum.........and found this.....
Sacramento River Leaves Boats High and Dry May 2, 2004
Marina owners along the Sacramento River say the water level has dropped alarmingly in the past week, leaving many boats mired in the mud.
The problem is worst in the Freeport area, where Freeport Marina and Cliff's Marina are hard hit. The silt is about eight feet deep at those places. The owners say it will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to dredge the silt, but cutting through bureaucratic red tape may be biggest hurdle.
"The permit process is eight months to a year, and that's almost $50,000 for the permits," said Bob McDaris, the owner of Cliff's Marina who stands to lose $10,000 in docking fees this month. "It's very expensive. We're trying to see if we can get some help from the state."
Federal officials who control the flow of the river by releasing water from dams at the Shasta, Oroville and Folsom reservoirs say there does not appear to be anything out of the ordinary going on. They've checked their data and say it doesn't look as though silt levels are on the rise.
http://rds.yahoo.com/search/news/S=53720272/K=boats/v=2/SID=w/l=NSR/R=4/SIG=11c4ktn9i/*-http://www.kxtv.com/storyfull.asp?id=7033

HCS
05-04-2004, 09:12 AM
That's normal for the Sacramento river. When water flows
increase, the sand in the bottom of the river creates sandbars.
That's what we camp and party on.:D That particular marina is
attached to the river levee and does not float on pylons like most
marinas along the river, so he is whining trying to blame it on the
state for not dredging the river bottom. They call it silt, it's just
sand that has been washed down the river. It's to bad for the
people that have their boats in there, and didn't get them out in
time. But they should have seen it happening. So now, lets find
someone to blame it on. Typical.

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
wow, it sounded pretty extreme, but you say that happens a lot?
Don't they dredge the Havasu Channel every so often?

HCS
05-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Don't they dredge the Havasu Channel every so often?
It really is normal to have unsuspected sand bars pop up after the heavy river flows in the winter. One year there not there the
next year they are. I could tell you many stories about people
ramming their boats up on them because they weren't there the
year before. Do to levee deterioration and enviromentalist the
state quit dregging the river years ago. Now it takes a act of
congress to start doing it again.

BiggusJimbus
05-04-2004, 09:43 AM
They are in the process of letting Shasta fill up. Once that occurs, probably just 2 or 3 weeks, then the outflow will return to normal.
The lake is looking very good right now.

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 09:48 AM
The Sacramento river and the river delta change often. You have to be prepared for just about anything. There are stories from time to time about people driving fast at night that hit one of those unexpected little surprises, get thrown from their boat, and drown or disappear.

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
The Sacramento river and the river delta change often. You have to be prepared for just about anything. There are stories from time to time about people driving fast at night that hit one of those unexpected little surprises, get thrown from their boat, and drown or disappear.
Very dangerous if you don't know your river. I always follow
someone else my first time out.:D

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Sounds challenging......we would like to bring our boat up there some time. We have friends that live in Turlock.
:D :cool:

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Very dangerous if you don't no your river. (((HUH?????))))))I always follow
someone else my first time out.:D
I agree, very dangerous...... you first, Hardcore!!!!!!;)

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Sounds challenging......we would like to bring our boat up there some time. We have friends that live in Turlock.
:D :cool:
Its nothing that keeping your eyes open won't fix. Tough to see stuff underwater at night though...:D

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 10:27 AM
we will go "night ride" speed at night.....lol ;)

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 10:28 AM
we will go "night ride" speed at night.....lol ;)
OK, I'll watch from the shore........:D

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 10:29 AM
you don't night ride?
:eek!:

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 10:30 AM
you don't night ride?
:eek!:
J/K........... but I usually do pull out right after dark if I am out there...

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:32 AM
I agree, very dangerous...... you first, Hardcore!!!!!!;) (Don't know) that's what happens when you try and
post while working.
:rolleyes:

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:34 AM
J/K........... but I usually do pull out right after dark if I am out there... Good advise, you wouldn't want to run over
any floating dead bodies.:eek:

SMFRiverRat
05-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I have lived here in the Pocket Area for many years and I have never seen the Freeport Marina sitting on the sand/mud/silt....whatever you want to call it. The old time locals (over a few beers) at the Freeport are placing some of the blame on the new pump station near the "I" street bridge. I guess they are saying that it can take out as much as 160 million gallon a day. I have no idea if it is at the current pumping levels but it makes sense to me.

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Good advise, you wouldn't want to run over
any floating dead bodies.:eek:
DOOOMED......

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 10:36 AM
no, don't start that again.....(funniest commercial)
lol
:D

HCS
05-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SMFRiverRat
I have lived here in the Pocket Area for many years and I have never seen the Freeport Marina sitting on the sand/mud/silt....whatever you want to call it. The old time locals (over a few beers) at the Freeport are placing some of the blame on the new pump station near the "I" street bridge. I guess they are saying that it can take out as much as 160 million gallon a day. I have no idea if it is at the current pumping levels but it makes sense to me.
Their going to put in a second pumping station and pump out
millions of gallons more.:eek:

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by SMFRiverRat
they couldn't possibly keep up with all that water going to southern california from the aquaduct........
That is a very large pump plant. But not enough to reverse the flow of the river.......LOL.......
There is a lot more than that going BACK in the river at the Pioneer bridge... from the "wastewater"treatment plant.... Downstream thank god........:D

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Their going to put in a second pumping station and pump out
millions of gallons more.:eek:
that sucks..........:D

HCS
05-04-2004, 01:39 PM
that sucks..........:D
We'll that just about says it all.:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 01:54 PM
:D :D :D I pride myself on predictability:D :D :D

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 02:14 PM
(way off topic)
how did you get your letters blue?
oh wait...
like this?
did that work?

bilgewiper
05-04-2004, 02:42 PM
People forget that back in the drought years the river levels at the I Street bridge were always in the negative numbers not 3-5 feet positive like they are now. But that silt does move. I fish the hole across from ski beach (1 mile abouve Virgin Sturgin) and that hole which runs about 40-50 feet deep moves all over year to year. Surrounding that hole is a "normal" 8- 12 ft. That hole concerned the powers at be so much back in the early 60's that they brought a barge in with a bunch of old railroad box and flatcars and filled that hole with them hoping to stop the hole from moving around so much and eventually breaking the levee. It didn't work but the levee never was in any danger anyway. All that steel in that hole now grabs and snags fishing gear like no other hole in the delta. But sturgen do come out of there regularly.

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
(way off topic)
Well, it is your thread, and the way the rest of it went, we're lucky we aren't all
DOOOMED......

Debbolas
05-04-2004, 03:08 PM
DOOMED

Dr. Eagle
05-04-2004, 03:11 PM
DOOMED
I like the extra O, I think it makes it more DRAMATIC........ LOL....

HCS
05-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by bilgewiper
People forget that back in the drought years the river levels at the I Street bridge were always in the negative numbers not 3-5 feet positive like they are now. But that silt does move. I fish the hole across from ski beach (1 mile abouve Virgin Sturgin) and that hole which runs about 40-50 feet deep moves all over year to year. Surrounding that hole is a "normal" 8- 12 ft. That hole concerned the powers at be so much back in the early 60's that they brought a barge in with a bunch of old railroad box and flatcars and filled that hole with them hoping to stop the hole from moving around so much and eventually breaking the levee. It didn't work but the levee never was in any danger anyway. All that steel in that hole now grabs and snags fishing gear like no other hole in the delta. But sturgen do come out of there regularly.
Remember when ski beach was called first beach. And good old
Jack Knudson was the head man at the Village marina, he was
outboard guru. That was back in the late 60's early 70's.
They use to dredge all the time back then. Also some of the wing
dams were removed. That didn't help.