PDA

View Full Version : oceano dunes

desrtrat256
04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I dont know if this is the tread to do it in but its worth a shot. Im looking for a place in oceano dunes that i can roll the bikes out of the trailer and ride. I know you can go down onto the beach and camp which is perfect, but i have a 1970 kenworth show truck that i pull the trailer with and dont want to destroy it or get it stuck. Is the beach a safe option or is there a better solution. Thanks for any help and advice.

WHATA SQUIRT
04-01-2006, 11:20 PM
No problem driving on the beach.just check the high and low tide times for the arrival and departures.low tide is your best driving time.and park on the beach ABOVE the high tide line.or park on some carpet this is what I do..although I live in the area..good luck.

wsuwrhr
04-02-2006, 01:27 PM
I know you can go down onto the beach and camp which is perfect, but i have a 1970 kenworth show truck that i pull the trailer with and dont want to destroy it or get it stuck.
This thread is worthless without pics.

steelcomp
04-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I dont know if this is the tread to do it in but its worth a shot. Im looking for a place in oceano dunes that i can roll the bikes out of the trailer and ride. I know you can go down onto the beach and camp which is perfect, but i have a 1970 kenworth show truck that i pull the trailer with and dont want to destroy it or get it stuck. Is the beach a safe option or is there a better solution. Thanks for any help and advice.Find something more practical to tow your trailer with. :rolleyes:

desrtrat256
04-02-2006, 05:13 PM
i know its a little impracticle but it works really well, i have a 1973 f350 that pulls it fine but gas milage is about 8 gallons to the mile with a 390. just was wondering how the sand highway was? i think im going next weekend to scout it out before i go on any bigger trips. thanks for the help. i attached some pics but dont know how to post them.

Orange Gasm
04-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Well in my opinion after 26 yrs driving and 2.5 mil miles in trucks alone, i would'nt go on the beach with it.

steelcomp
04-02-2006, 07:15 PM
i know its a little impracticle but it works really well, i have a 1973 f350 that pulls it fine but gas milage is about 8 gallons to the mile with a 390. just was wondering how the sand highway was? i think im going next weekend to scout it out before i go on any bigger trips. thanks for the help. i attached some pics but dont know how to post them.You're kidding, right? I wouldn't even take that thing down Grand Ave., let alone get any where near the beach with it.
Spend the gas money and take the thrasher. Besides, it's been raining here way too much, and probably will be when you want to go. I don't think you could get any where near sand highway in that thing.

H20 Toie
04-02-2006, 10:18 PM
If you take that rig out there take a lot of cash with you becuase they will charge you up the ass to get it unstuck, the guys that use to run around out there use to be the biggest crooks ( i haven't gone in years becuase i got a motorhome) if the tide is coming in then the price to get you out triples

Boy Named Sue
04-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Find something more practical to tow your trailer with. :rolleyes:
When the Prince of Practicality speaks, the rest of us just shrug. :p

haysonj
04-03-2006, 06:07 AM
I dont know if this is the tread to do it in but its worth a shot. Im looking for a place in oceano dunes that i can roll the bikes out of the trailer and ride. I know you can go down onto the beach and camp which is perfect, but i have a 1970 kenworth show truck that i pull the trailer with and dont want to destroy it or get it stuck. Is the beach a safe option or is there a better solution. Thanks for any help and advice.
We took our motorhome out there two weeks ago and got stuck they wanted $200 to tow it 20 feet to hard ground. we worked about an hour and got it out our self If you go take some mats or strips of plywood the only problems are where you get on and off the beach and if you try to get too high in the dunes. Ill not take my motor home back again unless my kids are there with their four wheel drive

desrtrat256
04-03-2006, 07:30 AM
damn that sounds like a whole lot of work and money, i figure ill just park in a campground and use a pickup to get all our crap to the dunes. thanks for the help again.

Familycat
04-04-2006, 08:33 AM
We have been going to Pismo for my whole life, about 10 trips per year for almos 40 years. We spend every Thanksgiving (16 years) with family and friends on the beach. My kids would rather got to Pismo to ride their quads and dirt bikes than go to Disneyland. In fact we are going on the April 13-16 if anyone is interested. Camping near Pole 6. Been stuck many times and pulled out others many times. Would not recommend putting a big rig on the beach. We have many friends with pusher motorhomes and they get stuck quite easily. We have hooked as many as three lifted, huge tired, one ton trucks to get them out. It was scetchy as best. Anyway a great place while under constant envirnmental pressure. F..ck the "enviromentalists" whom say they want to save the beach for our kids while they are actually keeping it from our kids. Sorry, this is a big issue in our house. Good luck and have fun.
Rick

Flying Tiger
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
The Rangers will warn you against taking your big rig on the sand.
The TP magic number is 17 psi with most vehicles (if 22 won't do),,, but with a big rig,, I can't imagine.
Always cross the creek at 2 hours past high tide because the water is usually the lowest and is running fresh, not salt, unless you don't care about a salt water bath to your frame and suspention, driveline ect.
If it seems too deep,, like in storm conditions today, don't cross at all.
Don't be too proud to stop and watch the regulars and locals cross, and follow their example.
Cross the creek and stay on on hardpack as close to the surf as possible.
It fools ya to think to cross farther upstream,, but heed my advise.
The rumor that triple A has to come get members unstuck is pure balony.
Don't walk around with an open container of stupid juice in your hand at anytime.
The tidal charts times are right on,, but the high / low levels can easily be much higher or lower than predicted at Pismo.
Any adverse weather conditions in the western hemisphere can easily change the high tide/low tide mark, so keep a keen eye out as the surf approaches.

Beer-30
04-05-2006, 08:47 PM
If you don't care about all the work you have put into making your rig nice, take it on the beach. If you want to see rust start where you didn't think it would start, get it out there right now. That salty sand gets everywhere, and will start to rust or corrode whatever it gets on - immediately.
But, if you care about it and want it to stay nice - stay off of the beach.