PDA

View Full Version : New motor

565edge
05-04-2004, 05:40 PM
I ordered new pistons today for my new project.How much power do you guys think i can make.4.600 bore,4.25 stroke,.400 long rod,9.800 deck block.My pistons are being custom made from je to give me 11.25 compression.I am going to run a bullet cam solid roller with 731 lift and 260(intake)270(exhaust) at .050 ground on a 114 with the 4/7 swap fireing order.heads will be dart cnc 355 pro-1's with 114cc chambers.Im going to run a ported brodix single dominator manifold with a 1150 dominator.The cam might be 255-265 at .050.So how much power will it make?where will it make the torque and hp?Could i leave the dart tunnel ram and jet down my 1150's?Thanks.How much power did doghouse's motor make?This motor is going in my 22' daytona i just bought.It will have a bravo xz outdrive with a 2" shortened imco lower with 1.36 gears.What prop should i buy?

DogHouse
05-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 565edge
How much power did doghouse's motor make?This motor is going in my 22' daytona i just bought.It will have a bravo xz outdrive with a 2" shortened imco lower with 1.36 gears.What prop should i buy?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/313dyno2-med.JPG
I think your motor will make a little less torque because of the stroke and slightly bigger cam, but it should carry the torque better at high rpm and maybe make a little more peak power, especially with the extra compression.
One big limiting factor when running a Bravo is that they really start to bang into gear if your motor idles much above 900 rpm or so. That definitely affects your choice for cam and intake. I just pulled some duration out of my cam (now 256/262 @.050) to make it idle better. Now it's pretty happy at around 800 out of gear and will shift without stalling. Side affect was that it picked up some nice midrange punch, but it also lost a couple hundred rpm on top end. I may try stepping up to a 30p prop from my 28p to take advantage of the increased torque. That's with 1.5 gears and a 4500 lb boat. With your lighter boat, I would bet that you can swing a 28 or 30 even with the taller gears. Many shops will let you do some testing/swapping before buying.
Another change I just made was to back way off on the valve springs since I'm only spinning 6k. I'm down to 585 lbs open, 240 on the seat, per Isky's recommendation. I'm really hoping to not grenade another lifter...
Your 22 is going to scoot, be sure to let us know how it turns out!
-brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
GEEEZUUUS man! What the hell do you need that much horsepower for? No flamming here just curious. That is some serious power. If you ski with that much power/tq you will rip the arms off the skier when you launch:D :D Your cruising r's are in the 500+ hp range. That is very impressive;) I would like to see what my roostertail would look like with 800hp pushing it. Hell, I would be knocking planes out of the sky:D :D
Could you break down the recipe for that motor. I would like to see what you have to make that much power if you dont mind;)

victorfb
05-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Holy torque twister boatman, that motors got some torque. im glad to see that actually. i know theres a big debate about HP vs torque. but im a believer in torque for marine applications. not to say that you dont need HP, but i love that pull hard, sink your ass in the seat, watch your passengers scrambling for something to hold onto feeling. and in my opinion, torque is were that comes from. very impressive dyno sheet.

Dave C
05-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Doghouse....damn...:eek: do you run a S/C?
565... thats looks nice. ;) I am not a cam expert but that cam looks kinda big for the O/D, i.e. duration is too long. You might want to check with some "experts" before you put that in. As doghouse said, you need a smooth 800 rpm idle to get it into gear.
good luck
(BTW did you steal my idea ;), i.e. mine's on order):D

flat broke
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
I agree, I'd think you could sneak a little duration out of that cam and still keep your lift numbers where they are. It will change your dynamic CR, but there are ways to fix that too :) For what your spending on your cam you probably already know that you can order up any grind/profile you want for a little more. Talk that cam choice around with a couple of pros before its gound.
Chris

565edge
05-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys.I am actually sending back one of my roller's bullet made for my other boat.$150 and they will regrind.They recomended around 255-265 at .050.Idle is a concern but i want it to sound rude!Im hoping to hit over the century mark with this combo.My hull is set up for the blackhawk drive.The x dimension is as high as you can go.I am going with a bravo with a imco 2" shorty lower.

DogHouse
05-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
GEEEZUUUS man! What the hell do you need that much horsepower for? No flamming here just curious. That is some serious power. If you ski with that much power/tq you will rip the arms off the skier when you launch:D :D Your cruising r's are in the 500+ hp range. That is very impressive;) I would like to see what my roostertail would look like with 800hp pushing it. Hell, I would be knocking planes out of the sky:D :D
Could you break down the recipe for that motor. I would like to see what you have to make that much power if you dont mind;)
You're a regular poster in the gear heads section and you need to ask why someone needs more horsepower?!?! ;)
My combo is similar to 565's but uses a 4.5" crank to get 598 ci instead of 565, 10.2" Dart block, 6.8" rods, and little shortie pistons with a small dome. Compression is 10.8:1, heads are 355 CNC Dart Pro-1s, intake is a Dart single plane, unported. It runs EFI with a 2000 cfm throttle body and a knock sensor to make sure it's safe on 91 octane. Cam is .731/.697 lift, and when the motor was dyno'd, 262/268 duration at .050, 114 separation. Now the cam has been reground to 256/262 duration. It idles better and still sounds plenty stout. Only other little trick I did was to ceramic coat the pistons, chambers, valve faces, and exhaust ports. That helps make a little more power and also keep it pump gas friendly.
DaveC, no blower! :D

565edge
05-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
You're a regular poster in the gear heads section and you need to ask why someone needs more horsepower?!?! ;)
My combo is similar to 565's but uses a 4.5" crank to get 598 ci instead of 565, 10.2" Dart block, 6.8" rods, and little shortie pistons with a small dome. Compression is 10.8:1, heads are 355 CNC Dart Pro-1s, intake is a Dart single plane, unported. It runs EFI with a 2000 cfm throttle body and a knock sensor to make sure it's safe on 91 octane. Cam is .731/.697 lift, and when the motor was dyno'd, 262/268 duration at .050, 114 separation. Now the cam has been reground to 256/262 duration. It idles better and still sounds plenty stout. Only other little trick I did was to ceramic coat the pistons, chambers, valve faces, and exhaust ports. That helps make a little more power and also keep it pump gas friendly.
How much timing were you able to throw at it?I was going to drop my motor now into it.800 lift roller cam,286-294 at.050 and tunnelram with 1150 dominators.15-1 compresion 565".I dont think the drive would last to long.I was pissed when i called je and they told me either 8:1 or 15:1 for a shelf piston.I wanted to go blown and actually had a 14-71 lined up but this insurance stuff is scaring me.With a single carb under the rear cover it should be pretty stealth.DaveC,what did you order?

DogHouse
05-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 565edge
How much timing were you able to throw at it?I was going to drop my motor now into it.800 lift roller cam,286-294 at.050 and tunnelram with 1150 dominators.15-1 compresion 565".I dont think the drive would last to long.I was pissed when i called je and they told me either 8:1 or 15:1 for a shelf piston.I wanted to go blown and actually had a 14-71 lined up but this insurance stuff is scaring me.With a single carb under the rear cover it should be pretty stealth.DaveC,what did you order?
I'm running 36 total. We tried 38 but it didn't make much difference, so we settled on the conservative.
Yeah that other motor would be fun, but it wouldn't take many times dropping that Bravo into gear at 1200 rpm until... kaboom! :eek:
Don't they make "shelf" flat tops? That would net you something near 10:1 with those chambers. I guess that's still a little low for what you're after. You going to run good gas or 91?

565edge
05-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Im going to run 91 octane.Ive had a few other motors that i ran more comp with 91 octane and didnt hurt it.If i had a shorter rod they would of had a piston.I run a .400 long rod with a 9.800 deck with 4.25 stroke.All my buddies think i should of ordered the 8:1 pistons and put a blower on it later.How friendly is nitrous on these drives.Like a small 100 hp kit.Doghouse what steering do you run with your boat.

DogHouse
05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
IMCO single ram external system with a standard cable helm. Dual ram would be better, or full hydraulic to the helm if you can afford it. Mine's a bit too "lively" at speed.
Not sure about nitrous with an outdrive. You're already going to be pushing the limits of the XZ, especially if you're used to the holeshot performance of a jet. Also sounds like you will be pushing the limits of idle rpm, so chances are your drive will take some abuse when shifting. The rather sudden burst of torque when you hit the button just can't be good for a gearset that's already near yield. Of course I haven't tried it myself, so I could be full of sh!t! :D
If you get the X right and find the right prop, you'll see triples without the button. Hell, my pig Magic runs in the 90s and it's a slow hull compared to a 22 Daytona.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by DogHouse
That is some serious shit. Horsepower is good;) With your horsepower you need to be riding with a diaper on:D :D looks real sweet, I love it;)

Dave C
05-06-2004, 10:49 AM
getting parts for a 572......:D
don't know when its gonna be done though.