PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Steering

LUVNLIFE
05-04-2004, 06:47 PM
How tight should the cables be out by the jet? I owned this boat before and I recall them being tighter. Now you can easily deflect the cables with a finger like half an inch or more. Before I remember them being pretty tight. Thanks in advance.

MudPumper
05-04-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm not following the question, cables are tight how? and can deflect them with your finger in what way??:)

kingb36
05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
He's talking about Calgo (sp??) steering where the actual wire cables are exposed from the transom to the nozzle, like this one:

MudPumper
05-04-2004, 09:22 PM
That would be the reason I'm not following the questions. :D Thanks for the clarification;)

Cs19
05-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Assuming you have calgo cable-steer...
Where the cables come through the transom, theres adjusters right there. Just like in the pic above.
All you have to do is loosen the nut closest to the transom and tighten up the outer nut (adjuster) to tighten up the cable, do it on each side.
If that doesnt do the trick or the adjusters are bottomed out already, you will have to take it apart and re-install the cables with minimal slack then use the adjusters to fine tune it.
They dont have to be that tight, but yours do sound sloppy.Good Luck..

LUVNLIFE
05-05-2004, 03:19 AM
Thanks Cs. They are sloppy enough that I think it would effect the steering.